Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
Gollum

Default Re: Bestiary 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Now, I was hoping to put this up on a webpage for comments, but I wanted to ask first if anyone thought this would be taken down before I post the link. Can anyone give me some expertise here?
Just ask it to Steve Jackson himself.

I made a french translation of the character sheet and didn't know if I was allowed to publish it in a french GURPS forum. So I asked it to Steve Jackson. He answered me very quickly...

Thus, the best way to know is to ask him. All what you risk is, at worse, an anwer like: "Sorry, but someone is already working on it." On the other side, you also risk to be published by Steve Jacskon Games...

Oh, I forgot to tell, send a copy of your work with your message. Or just a sample... So, he will ba able to glance at it.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I'm not sure they even have an author for it, so... no. Haven't heard anything.
They're not going for a single book by a single author, AFAIK. My guess is a PDF series - I don't think an entire bestiary will sell well. People will complain that there's too little of the stuff I like and too much of other crap.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

I used to want a bestiary. I wanted something to gauge against. I wanted real world animals, to see what each stat meant (how strong is string as a polar bear?). I also wanted to have full point builds so when the character took the animal as an ally, I had the point value right. Finally, I wanted a mix of cookie cutter and original monsters for my dungeon delving games.

DFM1 solved the later part, DF5 solved the allies part and I'm starting to not need the rest. I will buy them though, sight unseen. Mind you, I understand the issues with providing full builds with full point costs. DF5 could do it, so maybe we will get DFn: Moar Allies.

Part of the issue is that GURPS is so vast, so adaptable, so modular, that what works me won't work for most people.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
Mr_Sandman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroshima View Post
I used to want a bestiary. I wanted something to gauge against. I wanted real world animals, to see what each stat meant (how strong is string as a polar bear?). I also wanted to have full point builds so when the character took the animal as an ally, I had the point value right. Finally, I wanted a mix of cookie cutter and original monsters for my dungeon delving games.

DFM1 solved the later part, DF5 solved the allies part and I'm starting to not need the rest. I will buy them though, sight unseen. Mind you, I understand the issues with providing full builds with full point costs. DF5 could do it, so maybe we will get DFn: Moar Allies.

Part of the issue is that GURPS is so vast, so adaptable, so modular, that what works me won't work for most people.
Thanks for pointing out DF5 as a source for animal stats. I'm less interested in animal allies, than templates for Morph, so I never thought to look at that. After checking out the table of contents, I realize I'll probably have to pick that up soon. I'd still love to see lots more real world animals stated out.

I don't really need monsters, I can make up imaginary things on my own, or stat up fictional creatures. There's no concern then whether I'm getting it exactly right, because they don't really exist. I find coming up with templates of real animals on the fly for a shapeshifting character much more intimidating.
Mr_Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
Humabout

I think I'd be most interested in a book of realistc stats (with or without points) for real animals. Like Kuroshima mentioned, it's nice to know what "strong as an ox" really means. I'd find the most utility, though, in what sensory advantages and general disadvantages animals have. Do bees qualify for Ultravision? How many levels of Acute Hearing should a sheep really have? Wolves and bloodhounds get Discriminatory Smell, but would a dingo? I'm not a zoologist, so these sorts of things would be of great use. Even if I don't use the animals directly in a game (I usually include a lot of animals as scenery and the occassional encounter in a fantasy game, but eh...not always), they would be excellent benchmarks for creating my own monsters and racial lenses.

If the books won't be in one volume (sounds like that's not going to happen), I'd really like volumes like Mammals, Reptiles & Amphibions, Birds, and Arthropods. Perhaps fish should probably get some love, but personally, I don't do enough aquatic stuff to want that one.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #16
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
If the books won't be in one volume (sounds like that's not going to happen), I'd really like volumes like Mammals, Reptiles & Amphibions, Birds, and Arthropods. Perhaps fish should probably get some love, but personally, I don't do enough aquatic stuff to want that one.
I'd want biome based. Desert and mountain creatures, woodlands and plains, etc. Base it off of the survival specialties.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #17
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
I'd want biome based. Desert and mountain creatures, woodlands and plains, etc. Base it off of the survival specialties.
Yeah, I think that would be the best way to solve it. Mostly real animals plus one or two fantastical beasties for each biome.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Yeah, I think that would be the best way to solve it. Mostly real animals plus one or two fantastical beasties for each biome.
I think one or two per biome would be too few. Either go entirely realistic, or go about half and half.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #19
Humabout

Biome is a really good idea. I hadn't thought of it like that. I'd still prefer books that contain either real or fictional creatures, though. But that's mostly because of my personal needs; I'm sure lots of people would like a healthy dose of fictional monsters.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
I think one or two per biome would be too few. Either go entirely realistic, or go about half and half.
(FYI, I did deal a bit with SJG and am holding off for a bit.)

iMNSHO, it's best off going all realistic, with a couple of dinosaurs and mythical creatures to sate; about a dozen of all these. (Not divided by biome. Much too arbitrary and hard to find.) The dinosaurs get their own supplement, as do the cryptids. For the last section of the animals, the purely hypothetical ones (big spiders, big Venus flytraps), these need to be made to fit the specific genre used, thus don't get a supplement unto themselves. A huge spider might have different needs in a sci-fi game versus a fantasy game versus a horror game; one-size does not fit all for them.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bestiary, gurps