Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #151
malloyd

Default Re: New Sci Fi Setting Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
A contracting economy doesn't generate new jobs.
It doesn't generate capital investment to buy new robots either.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #152
Flyndaran
Untagged

Mist: Strange impenetrable mists have been appearing around the world. Initially in unpopulated areas but that's changed recently.
When the mist dissipates all life but human are gone. No bodies or sign of violence. Just gone.

What makes this sci fi rather than horror is the cause. It's interdimensional entities wishing to save earth life from an oncoming planet-killing disaster. But they have decided that humanity is too dangerous, not worth the effort, etc.

What happens when mistakes are made and a few humans are taken?
Old 02-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #153
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
Conspiracy theorists tend to perform this horrible kind of pseudo-science, where they start with the premise and then look for 'facts' that support their position.
The sad thing is, most people do something like this, it's just that conspiracy theorists work harder at it. Scientists try to avoid cognitive bias when they notice it in themselves, because they know how dangerous it is, but humans in general still tend to be more likely to notice facts that seem to agree with what they already 'know to be true,' or think is probably true, and to interpret facts in ways that agree with same. Conspiracy theorists, whether pro-gun, anti-gun, or 'don't care about guns, but look at how the aliens are blah blah blah,' have raised this to what could almost be called an art form (if you're a psychology student, you could write a doctoral thesis on it), even if it's some pretty sad art. People with phobias also do this, though with far less enthusiasm (and usually putting in far less effort, unless one is trying to prove that one's fear is totally rational).

Speaking of aliens, though: Shortly after Apollo XIII suffers a fault that contributes 'evidence' to trideskaphobes, the mated craft encounter a large, glowing, saucer-shaped vehicle, which catches them in a tractor beam, and returns them to Cape Kennedy within about an hour. The aliens make no attempts to communicate, nor do they respond to same, and the saucer leaves once the vehicles are safely on the ground. The landing is viewed by far too many people to cover it up.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:15 PM   #154
Mithlas

Seed: A UN observer team investigating accusations of the use of chemical weapons in Syria (they may be exceeding their purview depending on the story agreement between players and GM) instead discover something far more serious: The gas bombings are instead actually devices forcing people into the Outer Astral Planes (Psionic Powers p27).
Mithlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:26 AM   #155
Bengt

Why do you need a traditional economy in the proposed post-scarcity-sufficiently-advanced-robots setting?

If the robots can do everything (mine for resource, run power plants, produce robots, luxuries for the robot magnates, bread and circuses for the masses, etc) then can't the masses also be excluded from the robot economy?
Bengt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:37 AM   #156
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A robotic economy only works in a leisure society, and only if the society pays everyone a wage for creative work. Of course, that means that you end up with a lot of trash, but it is better than having everyone revolt and destroy the infrastructure.
Your ideas have merit. The setting would in some ways have to resemble Robots of Death. Luxury and an air of decadence. Speciall talents like the Captain's or Dask, would be the only way from the crowd to the elites.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:09 AM   #157
tanksoldier

A dystopian future where immortal ducks secretly battle each other in the shadows.

The winners take the loser's heads and a portion of their knowledge and power.

This is called... the "quackening".

I'll show myself out....
tanksoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:11 AM   #158
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
A dystopian future where immortal ducks secretly battle each other in the shadows.

The winners take the loser's heads and a portion of their knowledge and power.

This is called... the "quackening".

I'll show myself out....
The finalists cannot be named Huey, Dewey, Louie, Donald, Daisy, Daffy, or Howard.

Howard would win, being a master of Quack Fu. :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:55 AM   #159
Flyndaran
Untagged

The Ducklander 2 may barely qualify as Sci Fi, but the first one is solidly fantasy.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #160
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
Why do you need a traditional economy in the proposed post-scarcity-sufficiently-advanced-robots setting?

If the robots can do everything (mine for resource, run power plants, produce robots, luxuries for the robot magnates, bread and circuses for the masses, etc) then can't the masses also be excluded from the robot economy?
The fundamental problem is if the robots don't produce more stuff for the masses in aggregate than they could make themselves without the robots, they don't actually put the masses out of work. Lots of people can still be "poor" of course, because humans are really good at redefining poor. People living at the poverty line in modern industrial economies tend to live lives of luxury compared to even most of the wealthy a millennium ago.

In a way the extreme separate robot economy that excludes them entirely simply makes that point clearer. That could be the case *right now* with a completely robotic economy somewhere failing to put humans out of work because it doesn't ship anything to Earth. An entirely separate economy (robotic or not) located on Earth might want to keep the resources for itself and not share them with humans, but that's an interspecies war setting, not an economic transition one.

Last edited by malloyd; 02-06-2018 at 08:13 AM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote