Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
Kalzazz

Default Fantasy Status Cost of Living what it gets you

I may be hallucinating, but, I was certain, somewhere, that there existed a nice chart that showed what you get at various statuses for your cost of living in a fantasy setting (or maybe historical one) to show how fantasy characters lived?

Similar to the 'what cost of living provides at modern TL' chart

Any idea where this is?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Kalzazz

Default Re: Fantasy Status Cost of Living what it gets you

Banestorm, pg 187
Old 12-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
ULFGARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Banestorm, pg 187
How extensive is it? I.e., as extensive as the one in BS? If so, it may make it worth it for me to buy Banestorm in spite of the fact that I have no real intention of using the setting. It's not the ONLY reason to buy it, but I have the old Fantasy from 3e (and my game world has a kingdom that's partially inspired by Harkwood), so I'm already set with most of the good background material. Still... This might tip the balance. Especially if nothing new comes out tomorrow... Then again, I might just go the the gym and fill my water bottle with vodka...
Old 12-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Kalzazz

its more detailed than the modern day one on pg 263 of characters but not super detailed
Old 12-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
ULFGARD

Quote:
its more detailed than the modern day one on pg 263 of characters but not super detailed
Thanks! It might come on a less than sober holiday moment, the next time I'm running fantasy, or tomorrow. But that is a good price of admission...
Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Banestorm, pg 187
A bit sad that it's in an obscure setting supplement (okay, a semi-obscure one), instead of in GURPS Fantasy or GURPS Low-Tech, given how very useful it is.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
Thanks! It might come on a less than sober holiday moment, the next time I'm running fantasy, or tomorrow. But that is a good price of admission...
If you're looking for a nice product that might prove useful for runing a kingdom set on YRTH, take a look HERE or the next post immediately afterwards.

For what it is worth, I spent a fair time before GURPS BANESTORM came out, detailing the region around Castle Defiant - using Chivalry & Sorcery material. The region was the equivalant of a small Barony capable of supporting a small castle (Castle Defiant). There were iron mines nearby, farms, and a population required to support the Lord of Defiant in some comfort.

The one book from Expeditious Retreat has a set of rules for determining how many greater lords your kingdom should have, how many of the lesser lords, and finally, how many manors with knights. It would help detail all those things that GURPS BANESTORM didn't bother to detail.

As for myself? I'd never run a GURPS BANESTORM campaign as written but instead, would utilize the GURPS FANTASY 2nd edition or even the original BANESTORM as written in GURPS FANTASY 1st edition.

If you want? Contact me directly via email and I'll email a manor generated by hand, via HARN MANOR and how it can be adapted for use with GURPS.

https://www.worldanvil.com/w/scourge-of-shards-schpdx

Go to bottom of page to see lectures 1-11
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
A bit sad that it's in an obscure setting supplement (okay, a semi-obscure one), instead of in GURPS Fantasy or GURPS Low-Tech, given how very useful it is.
Fantasy and Low Tech are not settings. Settings don't sell that well, from what I gather. Fantasy has a small section with an example setting, but it is not the majority of the book by a long shot.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Precisely. F and LT are generic, and this info has generic applications.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Precisely. F and LT are generic, and this info has generic applications.
Fantasy is by its nature subjective and entirely setting dependent.
Low Tech should have suggestions for real world eras. But those won't really apply to any internally consistent fantasy setting. Except maybe for a secret rare magic version.