Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
Phantasm

Default Re: Palladium Splicers to Gurps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
They're organic mecha worn by humans mostly. Basically like the Guyver and some similar fictional constructs. The Pulver article I referenced is a definitive source for how to build them in Gurps.
I'll have to look at it. That's basically what I was looking for originally, some idea of what this stuff was. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin
Direct numerical conversions from Palladium stats to Gurps is probably hopeless in this case due to lack of benchmarks. You'd have to decide what you _wanted_ some particular arbitrary Palladium number to mean in the sort of Real world-based numbers Gurps tends to use.

It might make more sense to build the Gurps version to match the art rather than the write up.
Converting the numbers is pretty much hopeless in all cases. ;)

In my own conversions, I basically decided "okay, this item should be able to resist the typical pistol/rifle/tank gun/missile/what have you", and craft the numbers from there, using UT's TL10 lasers as a base. It's a coin-flip as to whether "MDC" (a term which often gets used ICly as well as OOCly; I don't think half the writers at Palladium know how or care to separate the stats from the world) armor is hardened or just twice the value.

Just knowing what it is meant to go up against is a big help in any case.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
Htoad2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdvana View Post
Ah. I came to the thread late and didn't realize that. Perhaps when he comes back he'll describe it in general terms so we can give him some advice on the matter.
Like I said before I need help Converting
Attributes
MDC/SDC
Damage
Dice rolls
Htoad2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #13
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htoad2020 View Post
Like I said before I need help Converting
Attributes
MDC/SDC
Damage
Dice rolls
First off, don't convert the stats directly. But while I have done Palladium conversions in the past, I don't have this particular book on hand, so more than just "Attributes, MDC/SDC, Damage, Dice rolls" would be appreciated without posting the entire deal (which would ultimately get cut back to this by the mods who are trying not to tick off Siembieda, who is known to have his lawyers issue cease&desist orders to fan sites believing they are infringing on his intellectual property (one reason I don't link my own conversions here).

Now, that said, for the MDC/SDC/HP issue, the best thing to do is to figure out what the standard armaments it's designed to go up against are. If that's laser rifles, be aware that the average damage of a GURPS laser rifle is 6d(2) burn; average damage from that is 21, max 36. DR 42 would be the standard protection (protecting against the average damage roll), and DR 21 + Hardened 1 would also work. My own conversions tend to take the latter Hardened armor approach for MDC armor.

"Ion" weapons in Palladium are screwy, as they may either be toned-down particle beams or guns that shoot raw electricity, ala a lightning bolt spell. This could either be the same level damage with a (3) armor divisor, more damage with no armor divisor, or the same damage with Arcing Surge, which reduces metal armor to DR 1. (However, most MDC armor is not nor counts as metal. Choose wisely to fit the feel you're going for.)

Forget the Palladium mechanics; take the closest GURPS equivalent and run with it. Best advice for any conversion to GURPS from anything I can think of, actually.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:10 PM   #14
Phantasm

One other thing to remember is that Palladium SDC/MDC is ablative, due to the quirks of the system. In Palladium, you have to whittle a 20 MDC piece of armor to 0 before any of the damage affects the wearer; on the other side of things 1 MDC equals 100 SDC, and most PCs have SDC/HP values far less than that. My one Juicer had 460 SDC and 34 HP; yeah, he could take one maybe two hits from a laser pistol or vibro-knife, but anything more and he's a fine red mist. And Juicers are an extreme example. My CS Technical Officer had 15 HP and 28 SDC; any mega-damage that got through his 80 MDC Dead Boy armor would vaporize him.

The same characters in GURPS would have 20-25 HP for the Juicer (the Juicer might have up to 5 DR with Tough Skin) and 10-12 HP for the Tech Officer, but they'd still survive laser pistols doing 2d+2 (2) burn. Also, armor DR in GURPS is a different beast than Palladium's SDC/MDC. DR in GURPS is not ablative unless otherwise noted, and DR is subtracted from the damage done before being applied to the target's HP.

If you're doing mega-damage, my best tip is to treat the "mega" portion as an armor divisor rather than a x100.

If you're looking for numerical system to system conversions... can't help you. Such things are actually against Palladium's policy, and I believe policy here is to discourage such things to not draw Palladium's ire. (Not that attribute scores below 16 actually matter in Palladium anyway; there's no bonuses or penalties for those.) In my experience, it's best to convert the feel, not the numbers.

Clear as mud?

Old 09-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #15
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I'll note that trying to directly covert a world where pistols can can red mist elephants and deliver orders of magnitude more energy than contemporary tank guns is probably not a good idea, but it is possible in GURPS. You could say that 2.5 MDC is equal to DR 637 in GURPS based on the M72 LAW in both systems. This is likely to produce a very silly game.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-19-2017 at 05:20 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:11 PM   #16
LoneWolf23k

Pyramid Vol 3 #24 is all about Bio-Tech, and includes a system for building Bio-Tech Mecha, or "Biomecha".
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #17
Drakyrias

Dear gods, the pain.

I mean you could convert but ouch. MDC would most likely be best handled as invulnerability or just absurd DRs, Invulnerability since MDC typically is handled as being immune to sdc dmg.

Damage just convert to appropriate value of superhuman strength on the gurps chart I would presume. Most likely something in excess of 50
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #18
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I am interested in how tonadaot the rules where unless you are a technojacker any metao you touch turns into a robotnthat tries t kill you
Could you rephrase this, please? I'm sorry, but I'm not following the train of thought.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Apparently in the Splicers setting (which honestly looks like a cheesy copy of Reign of Steel with typical Palladium OTTness...) the Technojacker class can hack nanomaterials to make themselves safe for human use, which are otherwise programmed to kill humans.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote