Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Highly Accessible vs Mindlink and Telesend, and Can a Patron Have Me as an Ally?

Hey, all.

This is in relation to my other thread: Is There a Way to Be Reverse-Summoned by an Ally?

With the PC on Earth and the Ally/Patron on the Astral Plane, they are not always readily available to pop in and help the other in a situation like combat. However, taken from a couple of different Pyramid articles, an Ally can have the Special Abilities modifier that allows the Ally to act as a conduit for touch-based powers or as the starting point for ranged powers, which is really cool. This means the Ally/Patron doesn't always have to open a gate to Earth in order to help out the PC. However, this also means that the Ally/Patron would technically have to have the PC as the Ally for the PC to act as a conduit for touch-based powers, etc. Of course, I was also thinking that I could just reverse this modifier and say Special Abilities, the PC can act as a conduit for the Ally/Patron, +50%. However, that doesn't answer the final piece of the puzzle, which is the legality of a Patron having the Sympathy modifier. Because, if one of them dies, the other is going down too. Such is the price of their bond.

I'm wondering what the best (and most efficient) way of being able to contact them is. The PC and the Ally/Patron are supposed to have a special bond, which could be anything of Special Rapport, Mindlink and Telesend, or maybe even the Highly Accessible enhancement on Patron. More than anything else, I'm asking for the best way to converse with my Ally/Patron. Does Highly Accessible let me talk to the Patron or just ask for help? I don't see why it wouldn't let me talk to them (especially if they are "constantly available"), but then what's the use of Mindlink and Telesend? Highly Accessible is great mixed with Minimal Intervention because it can make an Ally/Patron into a juiced up Contact. They will sometimes jump into combat on my behalf, especially if the PC finds himself in the Astral Plane next to his Ally/Patron, but the Ally/Patron is also a Friend (like the perk) and a source of information that may be relevant to the PC. So, what does Highly Accessible pay for? Is it a cheap/discounted Telesend for the Patron and the PC, or is paying 10 whole points for Mindlink (World-Spanning, +100%) and then more for Telesend the right way to do this? My gut says Highly Accessible is fine because the Ally/Patron is hardly worth their weight in points since they're out of the picture so often, being a spirit in the Astral Plane.

If it helps, let me try my best to describe what I want. This PC on Earth had a spirit in the Astral Plane bound to them at birth, which is pretty cool, and they're friends. The spirit is always available in the Astral Plane to the PC, but isn't always available to jump in and save the day because opening a gate to Earth isn't always the easiest or quickest thing to do. So, they are linked and can always converse and either of them can initiate contact (is this Mindlink and Telesend or Highly Accessible?). Likewise, the spirit can send their own power through the tether it has to the PC, meaning that it can help out passively with its own powers. The spirit can be going on with its own spirit-y life, but also send a Mind Blast through the tether and out of the PC to make sure the PC is safe. Since the spirit's life is tethered to the human's life, it makes sense that the spirit wants to keep the human safe.

How do I currently have this thought out?
  1. Ally/Patron (Spirit; 100% CP; Constantly; Mind Bleed, ‑5%; Minimal Intervention, -50%; Special Abilities, PC is a conduit for powers, +50%; Sympathy, ‑25%) [14] + Mindlink (World-Spanning, Earth and Astral, +100%) [10] + Telesend (Accessibility, Only with spirit, -80%) [6].
  2. Ally/Patron (Spirit; 100% CP; Constantly; Highly Accessible, +50%; Mind Bleed, ‑5%; Minimal Intervention, -50%; Special Abilities, PC is a conduit for powers, +50%; Sympathy, ‑25%) [28].
They're pretty close in points (though, very different with Multiplicative Modifiers, which we use), but I want to find a build that fits what I want in the best way possible.

Thanks again. This community is always so helpful, and I need to spend more time posting help for others to make up for the tremendous amount of help that I have been given.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
Rindis

Default Re: Highly Accessible vs Mindlink and Telesend, and Can a Patron Have Me as an Ally?

No help, just wondering which issues of Pyramid are you referencing? I think I want them. :)
Old 09-22-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Re: Highly Accessible vs Mindlink and Telesend, and Can a Patron Have Me as an Ally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindis View Post
No help, just wondering which issues of Pyramid are you referencing? I think I want them. :)
The Edge of Psience from Pyramid #3/29: Psionics and A Familiar Path from Pyramid #3/75: Hero's Jackpot. They're good articles.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ally, highly accessible, mindlink, patron, telesend