Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-21-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
TheEnglish

Default Imbuement and Attribute Subsitution

I have a player in a DF game who wants to get a little more out of his archer. He wants to add Imbuements to his abilities, but since he's a Scout, he wants to use DX instead of IQ for the Imbuement skills. I'm inclined to allow it, but would this be imbalanced, or infringe on the magic users' niche?
TheEnglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Imbuement and Attribute Subsitution

Imbuement skills are already DX by default...
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:01 AM   #3
mlangsdorf

There's the Mystic Knight and Mystic Knight Lens from Pyramid v3 #13 that is explicitly intended to let a character use DX-based Imbuements.

I think there's also a variant Scout called the Mystic Scout that uses Imbuements, but I can't find it in my Pyramid collection.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
Phantasm

Nereidalbel is correct; Imbuement skills already DX-based skills.

However, if your GM has decreed that Imbuements are IQ-based (either because of insufficient understanding of them or because it makes more sense to him; I can see the logic of the latter), there is also an Attribute Substitution Perk in Power-Ups 2: Perks, which admittedly has to be bought once per skill. Fortunately for skills which require specialization (like Imbuements), it covers all specializations of the skill.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #5
Sorenant

Following up this question, is it possible to use Attribute Substitution (IQ to Will or DX) on a normal spell?
Haste/Great Haste based on Will or DX sounds quite good for for martial artists or any other DX guy.

Last edited by Sorenant; 04-22-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Sorenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
Gef

I think that the enhancement Based on (Attribute) is legit for Imbuement, for +20%.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
Kalzazz

This thread has a discussion of the reasonability of IQ based imbuements, by no less a luminary than Kuroshima, writer of the DF Mystic Knight

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=80138&page=2
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
This thread has a discussion of the reasonability of IQ based imbuements, by no less a luminary than Kuroshima, writer of the DF Mystic Knight

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=80138&page=2
You'll make me blush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
I think that the enhancement Based on (Attribute) is legit for Imbuement, for +20%.
I personally would not have an issue with that. What stat is used for Imbue is left as a feature of whatever power Imbue lands in, as described by the notes on Imbuement in the Campaign section of Power Ups 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorenant View Post
Following up this question, is it possible to use Attribute Substitution (IQ to Will or DX) on a normal spell?
Haste/Great Haste based on Will or DX sounds quite good for for martial artists or any other DX guy.
Up to the GM, but it's AFAIR, one legit option. Attribute Substitution already warns that it's use must be vetted by the GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEnglish View Post
I have a player in a DF game who wants to get a little more out of his archer. He wants to add Imbuements to his abilities, but since he's a Scout, he wants to use DX instead of IQ for the Imbuement skills. I'm inclined to allow it, but would this be imbalanced, or infringe on the magic users' niche?
I would recommend that the player takes the Mystic Knight lens, if you are allowing Mystic Knights in the campaign. It already lets the character use DX based Imbuements. As for niche protection, changing professions lenses already let a character get out of his niche and into the other template's niche, and it's no different than the thief taking the swashbuckler lens to add some fencing and witty repartee to his repertoire gets into the knight's niche.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote