Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Ed the Coastie

Default TL9 Force Sword?

The Laser Torch (Ultratech, pg 80) is a TL9 tool that requires the use of Beam Weapons (Projection) skill. However, other than its inability to parry, it appears to have pretty much the same physical stats as a broadsword.

Geeks being geeks, I figure that it would only be a matter of time before somebody begins using a laser torch as a "laser sword" and developing a parry-less style to go with it. At that point, would the controlling skill still be Beam Weapons (Projection)...or would it be justifiable to have it be Force Sword? The idea is that the Force Sword skill when used with the "laser sword" represents the fact that it is being used in a different manner than as a tool.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #2
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: TL9 Force Sword?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie
Geeks being geeks, I figure that it would only be a matter of time before somebody begins using a laser torch as a "laser sword" and developing a parry-less style to go with it. At that point, would the controlling skill still be Beam Weapons (Projection)...or would it be justifiable to have it be Force Sword? The idea is that the Force Sword skill when used with the "laser sword" represents the fact that it is being used in a different manner than as a tool.
I am not seeing an obvious issue with the idea... Beam Weapon is the easier skill, and you will need to get a mechanic to put the torch into a hilt-like handle.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #3
cultureulterior

I'd be concerned with blinding everyone in the neighborhood.
cultureulterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Lord Azagthoth

Use a backpack to hold the gas bottle.

Looks much like the original lightsaber version from George Lucas (except for the parry).

The only problem would be the use of gas, even when not hitting something.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote