Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 07-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #111
Epic Kobold

Default Re: [OOC] The Marching Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Fox View Post
phase 1. it would be easy to gain the support of the people due to the length of the civil war, also we could play on the fact that Godfrey comes from "the common stock", and amp up fears about looming enemies. we could then go and liberate and incorporate the southern cities gaining more popular support, demonstrating strength, and gaining new resources
phase 2. we use stealth and guerrilla tactics on both sides under the banner of the other and weaken both, constantly drawing the two sides into conflict
phase 3. we declare that we are ending the war by attacking waging all out war against both sides in their weakened states
Is there a benefit to battling both sides? Even with the south under our belt, we're sure to get creamed by their combined effort. This is why I suggest we aid than absorb the rebellion. In the beginning, they are resources, support, and a distraction for the king's men. In the end they're one hell of a massive experienced army. We beat them not with a closed fist, but an open hand.

And if need be, an assassination or two that frames the royals...but not until we are considered a major player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
which side did we choose again?
In game, we're still debating that. Though tactically, we're better off siding with the rebels.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #112
zoncxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic Kobold View Post
Is there a benefit to battling both sides? Even with the south under our belt, we're sure to get creamed by their combined effort. This is why I suggest we aid than absorb the rebellion. In the beginning, they are resources, support, and a distraction for the king's men. In the end they're one hell of a massive experienced army. We beat them not with a closed fist, but an open hand.

And if need be, an assassination or two that frames the royals...but not until we are considered a major player.

In game, we're still debating that. Though tactically, we're better off siding with the rebels.

ah, for a second I thought king, if we did I would suggest taking over Denton or convince them to switch, convince photius to join and pincer sterling. with the rebels split they would lose and not see it coming.

going the other way and joining the rebels would be difficult since the king has a better place to defend.

I play Go so this is what I see (^,^)
zoncxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #113
Lamech

Quote:

If we want to dispose both leaders and rule ourselves then we need to side with the rebels, I don't think we can get the loyalist to be disloyal obviously. Of course, Cabble wins its not a good situation. What about a loose alliance to the rebels? If we grow enough in power the rebels may decide that we could lead them to victory. I can't believe that many other people like Cabble, but are just choosing him because they really hate the king.

Edit: Nice M.S. paint map. I note Simonton is the top castle on the western boarder.

Last edited by Lamech; 07-16-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #114
Grey_Fox

Quote:
Agreed, based on the map the best plan of action is to side with the rebels (what i was meaning was that we stay "neutral" while actualy playing both sides against the middle and then fighting both once neither has much fight left in them and we are still strong because of neutrality, its overly complicated however and as you say its easier just to side with one, beat the other and then beat our chosen side), conquer the south, assassinate cabble, the conquer the north. One of my concerns would be that if we side with the rebels they will call us away to go up north, then Simonton will get smashed while we are away and its game over, that's why i think taking the south is a must, by making ourselves a dominate power of the realm we make ourselves indispensable to both sides.

Last edited by Grey_Fox; 07-16-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Grey_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:03 AM   #115
Skullcrusher

Is there a netural country that perhaps Duncan cna try to persuade to our cause. Or perhaps a nefarious group of Pirates or Brigands he can try to woo into aiding us. Beggars can't be chosers at this point.

Also I am going to be out the rest of the weekend so don't expect anything regualr until Monday

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:10 AM   #116
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post
Is there a netural country that perhaps Duncan cna try to persuade to our cause. Or perhaps a nefarious group of Pirates or Brigands he can try to woo into aiding us. Beggars can't be chosers at this point.

Also I am going to be out the rest of the weekend so don't expect anything regualr until Monday
ORCS! I'm sure they would happily help us enslave and massacre everyone else in the kingdom. /stupidity

No not really. We have Orcs, Megalos, and various Muslim countries that want to invade. So I'm sure they might invade us it would be kind of like say... curing a cold by having Ebola out compete it.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #117
Grey_Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullcrusher View Post

well one of the early posts said that bandits and highwaymen had gotten out of control, you could try recruiting them. They are stealthy, already have bases inside others lands, and are reasonable trained....on the otherhand they are cowards that will run from battle and betray us to whoever pays the highest....oh well no one is perfect =P
Grey_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:05 AM   #118
Epic Kobold

Again, I must point out what Megalos did with the Reptiles (lower green box, page 90). It worked for them, why not for us? In fact, they already hold one of the cities to the south, right? That's a war effort saved. Reptiles are low maintenance and revel in personal strength and conquest. That's a force of crazy fighters no one wants to deal with.

Also, look where we are geographically. We border the desert that the brutes call home. If we play the diplomacy game properly, that is a sea of soldiers trained from birth and built for guerrilla tactics with minimal training. Alien mindset keeps them from being bribed or deterred.

Also, it's our characters looking upon our world's history for inspiration...which makes for nice flavor.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #119
Skullcrusher

Quote:
Again, I must point out what Megalos did with the Reptiles (lower green box, page 90). It worked for them, why not for us? In fact, they already hold one of the cities to the south, right? That's a war effort saved. Reptiles are low maintenance and revel in personal strength and conquest. That's a force of crazy fighters no one wants to deal with.

Also, look where we are geographically. We border the desert that the brutes call home. If we play the diplomacy game properly, that is a sea of soldiers trained from birth and built for guerrilla tactics with minimal training. Alien mindset keeps them from being bribed or deterred.

Also, it's our characters looking upon our world's history for inspiration...which makes for nice flavor.

They like Sheep If we make a pact to provide the X number of sheep per year we might garner some suport. That way we don't ahv eto fued when they steal since we will be supply them free sheep.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #120
Skullcrusher

Question what is a good skill to use to recruit troops. He already ahs the perk Head Hunter which gives him a bonus. I was htinking streetwise to find the unsavory type and perhaps diplomacy for the more honorable sort. Or is it just a reaction roll?

Tags
banestorm, caithness, civil war, mass combat, yrth