Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
pup67vargr

Default GURPS Traveller, ISW 2, OOC

Ok, let the discussion begin for the second GURPS Traveller, Interstellar Wars game!

Last edited by pup67vargr; 09-26-2011 at 09:46 PM.
pup67vargr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
The General

Default Re: GURPS Traveller, ISW 2, OOC

Okay, I might be interested, I've never played GURPS Traveller before but I've played Mongoose Traveller so I'm at least somewhat familiar with the setting.

What are we supposed to be discussing exactly?
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
doulos05

We've got a running game (Here's the In Character Thread) that we've just started up on the forums here. Currently, we're on Prometheus, headed to Bernard's Star as soon as Real Life permits me to get a post up to that effect.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
pup67vargr

General - never played Mongose Traveller myself. I played the original GDW Traveller back oh, a hundred or so years ago, and jumped straight into GURPS Traveller after a Traveller hiatus of 25-35 years. And, also, your Gate at Hinnom game looks very cool! Sadly, I'm not down with the combat by IM. I'm hoping to keep websites being used outside of the GURPS boards limited to the occasional wiki (wikkispaces.com, preferably) for record keeping and so forth. With a military game, not even that should really be necessary, though.

As for what to discuss, interest in a game like this would be a good thing to mention, which you did. Past that, character ideas/proposals would be good, and whether the prospective players have their own ideas about what sort of Traveller game is desired or whether my proposal is ok. [My thought was to make the PCs the crew of a Terran (or possibly Imperial?) warship involved in the Interstellar Wars between Terra and the Imperium.]

Last edited by pup67vargr; 09-26-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Centisteed

/exit lurk mode

Hi Pup,

I believe Mongoose Traveller basically uses rules similar
to Classic Traveller. They created a whole set of RPG
source books (such as Judge Dredd) that used the old
Traveller rules. I think the reason Mongoose liked it
is due to the career mode that you use to roll characters.
I believe if The General character rolled his character
up with the Mongoose rules, you could convert it with
the conversion rules in GURPS Traveller 3E (not sure
if ISW has a converter). And then he's effectively in
the "GT".

/re-enter lurk mode
Centisteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
pup67vargr

Thanks, Centisteed. Hmmm, still lurking around are you? Want to give me another shot and maybe play in this one? If so, you'll be the first confirmed player. Not sure if The General is going to go for it or not. Even so, that'd still only be two of you, if you both accept.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Centisteed

I might. I have some time constraints for the
semester, so we may need to space out the
days per post (normally I'd expect 1 post per
day). On the upside, this forum is much faster
to use than the old one, where it seemed to
take forever to get to a page or do..just about
anything.

How are you rolling dice? A combat oriented
game probably has more dice rolling I guess.
Centisteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
pup67vargr

We're rolling dice on invisible castle, with a link to the roll being added to the post describing the action requiring the roll.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #9
doulos05

I posted the RP, but I just realized that I should have done it as a regular post rather than editing my OOC placeholder post. So, I'm posting here to point out that the Hiawatha has lifted off into LEO and is outbound for the 100D limit and a jump to Bernard's Star.
doulos05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #10
pup67vargr

Yeah, you're right about that, because editing a placeholder post, while economical with board memory and everything, doesn't show up to other players very well. However, doulos05, this is not the OOC thread for that game. Please keep all Hiawatha stuff in the Hiawatha threads, if you don't mind? That'll help me keep everything straight. I'll go check out your edited post and take care of it.

But since I hate to make a whole post and not even touch on the ISW 2 game at all, let me just say that what I was thinking about when I woke up this morning was a kind of Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" situation -- PCs are marines/army dudes on a carrier-type ship. They're brought in low and fast and they bail-out in Powered Armor suits on grav sleds, or some other mode of personal transport, and assault the enemy up close and personal. There would be a definite Mission and definite Rules of Engagement for each Mission. A Mission might be just one encounter (probably an extended one, if so) or it might be a related series of encounters. Either way, it would usually begin when PCs deploy and leave the ship, and end when the PCs return to the ship or all die, whichever comes first. Like I said before, this kind of game would not be for the faint of heart. PC life expectancy is probably gonna be on the short side. This may not be a game that interests anyone. I'm flexible, I'm not married to this idea, it's just what was floating in my head today. And the last few days. I think it'd be kinda cool. Players go for broke with their PCs, and some don't make it back. Those players who need to make new ones and keep playing. Anyway, just some thoughts. Let me know if I'm totally off-base with this idea, please?

Last edited by pup67vargr; 09-30-2011 at 06:46 AM.