Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #1
Jeminai

Default GURPS - Space Opera?

Has there been any discussions about a series like Dungeon Fantasy but for Space Opera (Star Wars) type games?

There could be templates for smugglers/scoundrels, Galactic soldiers, space samurai, etc.

Just wondering if there was ever any talk about something like this.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: GURPS-Space Opera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeminai View Post
Has there been any discussions about a series like Dungeon Fantasy but for Space Opera (Star Wars) type games?
There has been, off and on. Rather a lot over the years, really. But, among other things, there are issues from the point of view of distilling it into a product line. Kromm briefly addresses those problems in an early paragraph here.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
Mailanka

If you don't mind homebrew, then watch this space.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #4
PK

The Kromm post that Matt linked to sums up the main roadblock. In short, your space opera is probably not my space opera. There has yet to be a game-oriented experience that made enough of an impression to become a cultural archetype, so we'd have to make assumptions that only some people would agree with.

I learned this myself with GURPS Monster Hunters, which some people praised as "nailing the genre spot-on" and others vilified as "taking bizarre liberties that don't fit the genre" -- simply because there was no absolute agreement on what the modern monster-hunting genre was.

I've seen people try to fix this by narrowing down the genre even more. "GURPS Bug Hunt" has been a popular suggestion for the simple fact that everyone actually does agree (more or less) on what that genre is and how it works. The downside, of course, is that it's a very niche genre, which means fewer people interested in it.

So it's a balancing act with the genre, between "broad enough to interest many people" and "narrow enough to not tick off the people who were interested."

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
mehrkat

It seems like at least quite a few options could be handled with primary action type templates with lenses. Then make genre suggestions from there. Lens x goes well with a filed off Star Wars, lens y goes well with a filed off Star Trek.

A few specialized templates might be needed for some genre types. A chapter on equipment decisions.

Subsequent books could take a specific genre in depth or widen the broad strokes.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:54 PM   #6
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
It seems like at least quite a few options could be handled with primary action type templates with lenses. Then make genre suggestions from there. Lens x goes well with a filed off Star Wars, lens y goes well with a filed off Star Trek.

A few specialized templates might be needed for some genre types. A chapter on equipment decisions.

Subsequent books could take a specific genre in depth or widen the broad strokes.
This is a good idea, IMHO. One category of lenses would be psionics, which are more powerful and influential in some subgenres, and far less so (or just unavailable to the PCs) in others.

On the subject of lenses, though, one of the specific setting or subgenre books could be used to update GURPS Lensman for 4e.

Another suggestion for early space opera, along with classic SF, is GURPS Tales of the Solar Patrol, by Lizard. It brings to mind (and was clearly inspired by) 1930s and '40s space-adventure serials in radio and film, and '50s TV series like Tom Corbett, Space Cadet (itself based on a Heinlein novel from 1948).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
GodBeastX

I have to agree.

I didn't consider Star Wars a Space Opera. People tell me it is, but I just felt it was Ultratech that used space to get around. These days the game just becomes a dungeon crawl with Ultratech, probably why KotOR was so popular.

When I think of Space Opera I think of Star Trek mainly.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:48 PM   #8
RogerWilco

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
I have to agree.

I didn't consider Star Wars a Space Opera. People tell me it is, but I just felt it was Ultratech that used space to get around. These days the game just becomes a dungeon crawl with Ultratech, probably why KotOR was so popular.

I think that depends on your definition of Space Opera. I would call Star Trek Science Fiction, and Star Wars Science Fantasy.

I would call something like Red Dwarf Space Opera, it's defining characteristic that there is no real character development, the characters are stereotypical and only the interactions between the characters matter.
Doctor Who could also be a contender, even though it has some character development.

I just started playing KotOR, had never gotten around to those. I find the game quite limiting and unimaginative so far. I also find the graphics engine fairly limited compared to games the same age.
The Star Wars d20 RPG rules are also a pain compared to Star Wars: Saga Edition.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBeastX View Post
I have to agree.

Star Trek? Really? What is your definition of space opera?

Last edited by David Johnston2; 01-04-2016 at 08:27 PM.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:44 PM   #10
GodBeastX

Huh, according to TV Trops Star Trek is Space Opera =)

It also says Star Wars is too. So...

Yeah, I think we're making Kromm's point for him.

Last edited by GodBeastX; 01-04-2016 at 08:48 PM.
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote