Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2010, 01:35 AM   #101
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Would a 9 lb sapient spider producing 1/10 lb of silk a day suspend your disbelie

Working from the various sources given by posters.
I've got 8oz per day silk for a Status -1 spider making silk cost $20 per pound.
With a spinning wheel it takes 1 month to spin and weave enough for a suit of normal clothing resulting in plus $75 per pound, $150 per pound for armor quality.
Now I wonder how long it takes to tailor a regular suit of clothing using TL3 or so equipment.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:00 AM   #102
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: Would a 9 lb sapient spider producing 1/10 lb of silk a day suspend your disbelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I believe I included an exception for the supernatural. Of course, I don't believe in souls, but if they existed, it would be possible that AIs can't have them.
Right. You included the exception, and wisely so. You deserve credit for your intelligence and open-mindedness.
Are the researchers whom you had mentioned now engaged in discussing the 'extra physical component'? Or did you simply mean that their models are unworkable without such things?
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #103
teviet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Working from the various sources given by posters.
I've got 8oz per day silk for a Status -1 spider making silk cost $20 per pound.
With a spinning wheel it takes 1 month to spin and weave enough for a suit of normal clothing resulting in plus $75 per pound, $150 per pound for armor quality.
Now I wonder how long it takes to tailor a regular suit of clothing using TL3 or so equipment.
The 8oz/day figure based on the orb weavers was off by a factor of 200; it should be 0.04oz per day for a 9lb orb weaver.

Of course your critters aren't orb weavers, and 8oz/day is not impossible, but it's going to tie up a significant fraction of their overall metabolic output.

TeV
teviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #104
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by teviet View Post
The 8oz/day figure based on the orb weavers was off by a factor of 200; it should be 0.04oz per day for a 9lb orb weaver.
I had neglected to correct the initial post to 0.3 oz from 8 oz after acknowledging the miscalculation, I've done so now so as to avoid any future confusion.

So we could say that a 9 lbs spider could carry up to 1/50th of a pound of silk protein as some sort of Silk Pool (EP), with regeneration of silk protein at 1/500th per day from eating normal proteins, or 1/50th per day if it can cannibalize old silk thread.

Last edited by Ze'Manel Cunha; 10-30-2010 at 09:50 AM.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:51 AM   #105
teviet

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Right. You included the exception, and wisely so. You deserve credit for your intelligence and open-mindedness.
Are the researchers whom you had mentioned now engaged in discussing the 'extra physical component'? Or did you simply mean that their models are unworkable without such things?
I wouldn't say the models are unworkable at all. The brain is fantastically complex even without any supernatural component, and researchers are just scratching the surface; there's no evidence that a "supernatural" or exotic-physics component is needed to explain our behaviour.

Good scientists are always open to the possibility of a complete overhaul of their models, if the evidence requires it. Currently there is no such evidence.

TeV
teviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #106
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Are the researchers whom you had mentioned now engaged in discussing the 'extra physical component'?
No. They're completely pointless to discuss, since if they exist we have no idea what their properties are, and cognitive science researchers aren't set up to discover new forces.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #107
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by teviet View Post
Probably 0.005oz per day, actually; metabolic scaling is typically around order 0.75 in mass, so for their mass the 9 lb spiders should produce 1/8 as fast as the 0.0035 oz lb spiders.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 PM   #108
Anders

M^0.65 for spiders (Comparative Animal Physiology, Withers, p.96)
Old 10-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #109
Flyndaran
Untagged

All the realism reductions in output keep putting silk production closer to the Low Tech +99 CF. It just won't be marketable to anyone but those with lots of money and little sense.

As it is, there is simply no reason to buy spider silk armor, when iron or bronze plate and chain is cheaper and offers more protection.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #110
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
M^0.65 for spiders (Comparative Animal Physiology, Withers, p.96)
That's probably a feature of poor respiration requiring a much faster reducing metabolism than for mammals, right? Or am I misreading the datum?