Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default [Supers] Malice - A low-powered supers setting

Inspired by two threads on these forums: The GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition and Minor League Supers, this is a multipurpose thread where I can post my setting and various characters within it for feedback, entertainment, and possibly use by others.

Malice (the name is just a cool-sounding word that sounds like “MLS”) is a young, low-powered supers setting. Its basic form is a “real life with the serial numbers filed off” world, much like many other fictional universes. The world looks mostly the same as real life, but politicians, celebrities, and science and business leaders are all different people. History more than about 50 years ago is almost certainly the same, but as you get closer, things get more muddled.

The “present day” of Malice is February 12, 2020. A year ago, a mysterious meteoroid caused panic among some on Earth when it seemed as though it might impact the planet and cause serious damage. Ultimately, when it reached the Earth one year ago today, it passed through the upper atmosphere seemingly harmlessly. Within a few weeks, powers began to manifest in humans. Since “The Flyby”, as it’s come to be known, over 200 people have manifested superhuman abilities. Strangely, it’s also coincided with a burst of seemingly impossible scientific breakthroughs that manifest in ways conducive to superheroics.

Some meta information about the setting:

Power modifiers:
  • Biological: Does not exist, may manifest in the future.
  • Chi: Does not exist.
  • Cosmic: Does not exist. There are no currently known cosmic beings.
  • Divine: Does not exist. There are no provable, interventionist deities.
  • Electronic: Exists, but is uncommon.
  • Elemental: Exists, but must be combined with Super.
  • Magical: Does not exist. There is no magic.
  • Mechanical: Exists, but is uncommon.
  • Moral: Does not exist. Absolute morality with tangible effects isn’t part of the setting.
  • Mutant: Does not exist. Mutation is part of Super.
  • Nanotech: Does not exist, may be developed in the future.
  • Nature: May exist, likely combined with Super, but currently does not.
  • Psionic: Does not exist. Subsumed within Super.
  • Savant: Does not exist, may manifest in the future.
  • Spirit: Does not exist. There are no provably existent spirits.
  • Super: Exists, comprises the vast majority of powers.
  • Superscience: Exists, comprises most technological powers.
If I missed any power modifiers (I think I got all the ones in Powers and Supers), just tell me and I’ll add them.
In short, the only power modifiers that currently exist are Electronic, Mechanical, or Superscience, Super, and Super+Elemental.

Breakdown of supers:

There are about 150 250-point supers, about 60 500-point supers, 6 1000-point supers, and 2 2000-pointers. The publically-known 1000- and 2000-point supers are known as the “Big Seven”.

The United States has the most supers by a wide margin. Second place is about tied between Russia and China, followed by Japan, then Brazil and India about tied, then Germany and the United Kingdom. These eight countries contain over 70% of the world's supers. No one has any idea why the manifestation of supers seems so arbitrary, not following any observable pattern of population or land area. The Big Seven hail from Australia, Brazil, the Czech Republic, Ethiopia, Japan, Russia, and the United States.

Now I’ll introduce a few of the major characters that I’ll be posting as soon as I get finalize them and get them written down:

The Big Seven
  • Blink is a Czech speedster.
  • Glacier is a Russian brick with ice powers. He is the only one of the Big Four to have a publically known identity.
  • Glory is an American generalist with strength, flight, agility, and a penchant for big guns.
  • Inferno is a Brazilian blaster and minor speedster with fire powers.
  • Legion is an Ethiopian multiplier who can split himself into over a dozen copies (hundreds if he doesn't need fine control) with a constant mental link including senses. He also has a bevy of lesser abilities.
  • Titan is a Japanese brick, the strongest person in the world and almost indestructible.
  • The Wizard is an Australian size-manipulator who can grow to about 100’ or shrink to under an inch.
Meteor Squad
Formally known as USEST-A1, “Meteor Squad” is an American super-team. They are largely untested both as a team and as individuals but have proven effective in the few engagements they have entered. Essentially, Meteor Squad functions as an empowered special forces team, with at least basic combat training and unique abilities.
  • Blue Dragon uses a draconic-styled chrome blue suit of powered armor that enhances his strength and allows him to fly and shoot lightning blasts. His lack of innate powers technically makes the team’s name inaccurate.
  • Hyde can grow to 15’ tall and gain strength. His name is a bit of a misnomer, as his growth has no effect whatsoever on his mind.
  • Noctis, the effective leader of the group, is a military veteran with the ability to generate a wide field of darkness around himself.
  • Tempest is an air manipulator with flight and various air-based attacks. She requires existing air and hasn’t yet mastered fine manipulation, but she does have a decent variety.
  • Ursa can transform (presumably) into a big, ugly black bear with huge teeth and regeneration. Ursa’s gender and appearance are unknown since he or she only appears in bear form and does not have a publically known identity.
  • Zip has limited time manipulation, being able to move at up to 5x speed for up to one subjective minute. Even without his powers, he’s quite effective as a combatant, trained with dual pistols.
Other supers with sheets posted:
  • Dart Frog is a young independent super who has the powers of a frog, including jumping, climbing, and poison secretion.
  • The Swordsman is an amnesiac four-armed super who quad-wields swords.
  • Isaac Jensen has luck powers with a power-level comparable to the high-level supers, but hasn't realized it yet.
  • Succubus has life-draining and mind-controlling sexual powers.
  • Gravity Guy is a low-level gravity super only notable for his romance with Glory.
  • Shark-Man is a thief, murderer, and cannibal with shark powers.
  • Sandworm is a Mojave-based sand super who plans to start a super pro-wrestling organization.
  • Shard has access to a piece of the meteor that gave humans powers, imbuing her with a wide array of abilities.
  • Scott Wilkinson has acid powers, but hasn't managed to use them effectively.
Literally any question or advice you have about any characters or the setting would be appreciated. Every questioned answered means greater depth and complexity to the world.

Last edited by awesomenessofme1; 01-19-2021 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Doubt anyone will see this, but I'm finally fixing something I forgot to change
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: [Supers] Malice - A low-powered supers setting

There are literally hundreds of thousands of people in reality who are at or over 250 CP. For example, the 2,700 Navy SEALS probably start at 250 CP. So having only 150 250-point supers in a bit underwhelming, as they would be shredded by Navy SEALS teams.

I would probably increase the number quite a bit, at least when it comes to 250 CP supers, probably to 1:100,000 (75,000 total), making them rare but not unknown. I would also increase 500 CP to 1:1,000,000 (7,500 total), 750 CP to 1:10,000,000 (750 total), and 1,000 CP to 1:100,000 (75 total). 1,000 CP supers would become the equivalent of prestige weapons, only used for parades and never risked for combat.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
There are literally hundreds of thousands of people in reality who are at or over 250 CP. For example, the 2,700 Navy SEALS probably start at 250 CP. So having only 150 250-point supers in a bit underwhelming, as they would be shredded by Navy SEALS teams.

I would probably increase the number quite a bit, at least when it comes to 250 CP supers, probably to 1:100,000 (75,000 total), making them rare but not unknown. I would also increase 500 CP to 1:1,000,000 (7,500 total), 750 CP to 1:10,000,000 (750 total), and 1,000 CP to 1:100,000 (75 total). 1,000 CP supers would become the equivalent of prestige weapons, only used for parades and never risked for combat.
A few things.

First, most high-CP people in real life are mainly just loaded up with social advantages. Sure, the number of genuinely high-CP is far more than a few hundred, but it's not as extreme as you're making it out to be.

Second, a well-built combat-focused super is going to be able to easily defeat a mundane soldier of an equal point value.

Third, it's not quite as low of a number as it initially seems. That number only includes powered individuals. There are probably another 100 or so that use technology.

Fourth, it's a very young setting. Powers of any form have only existed for one year. The number will increase in the future.

Last, and most importantly, the fact that supers are rare and low-powered is a fundamental part of the setting. Changing it, especially to the extreme level you suggest, would make it a fundamentally different.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
Aldric

Well, first of all, how does the world see these Big Four ? What have they done to be known ?

I've run a few games with a similar starting setup, and in the span of a year there was still no organized group of supers, but plenty of reasons to have one, since most supers developed their powers suddenly and generally uncontrollably, which had caused several incidents.

How does that work in your case ? Can Supers control their powers right away, or there have been accidents, which would probably make everyone wary of Supers?

Is anyone gathering them, or suggesting to do it, to study them or even to protect them from everyone else (or everyone else from them)
Aldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldric View Post
Well, first of all, how does the world see these Big Four ? What have they done to be known ?
So far, no major global threats have arisen that actually require them, but they've distinguished themselves in numerous minor incidents. The Big Four are also seen in a patriotic way by their countries, especially Glory, who's seen in a Captain America-style context.

Quote:
I've run a few games with a similar starting setup, and in the span of a year there was still no organized group of supers, but plenty of reasons to have one, since most supers developed their powers suddenly and generally uncontrollably, which had caused several incidents.

How does that work in your case ? Can Supers control their powers right away, or there have been accidents, which would probably make everyone wary of Supers?
Most supers are pretty weak, none of the most powerful ones are outright evil, and as mentioned, there haven't been any global threats, but several minor supervillains have existed. In terms of accidents, most supers can learn to control their powers pretty quickly, but those with dangerous or difficult powers have caused problems before they've gained control.

Quote:
Is anyone gathering them, or suggesting to do it, to study them or even to protect them from everyone else (or everyone else from them)
There's some discussion about that, but no real political will and even less practical possibility for any global efforts with actual teeth. Several more authoritarian countries have effectively nationalized superhumans, though, most notably China.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
awesomenessofme1

Here's my first character sheet of the setting - Hyde, of the Meteor Squad.

Hyde

Secret Identity: Yes
Costume: Black stretchy pants, boots, torso harness with staff holder
Height: 5’10”
Weight: 170 lb
Sex: Male
Race: White
Hair: Chin-length light blond as Nick Clarke, unkempt dirty blond as Hyde
Eyes: Brown
Powers: Growth and increased strength

Until his powers manifested six months ago, Nick Clarke was an unambitious twenty-something bouncing around from job to job. His powers both gave him an opportunity and a new motivation to improve himself. Hyde first showed up in the news when he helped save the lives of more than 10 people trapped on the third floor of a building during a fire. He was recruited into Meteor Squad soon after.

Attributes: ST 10 (30) [0], DX 12 [40], IQ 11 [20], HT 11 [10]

Secondary Attributes: Dmg 1d-2/1d (3d/5d+2), BL 20 lb (180 lb), HP 10 (30) [0], Will 12 [5], Per 11 [0], FP 11 [0], Basic Speed 6.00 [5], Basic Move 5 [-5]

Advantages: DR 3 (Tough Skin, -40%, Only when enlarged, -10%, Super, -10%) [6], Enhanced Move (Ground) 1 (All-Out, -20%, Only when enlarged, -10%, Super, -10%) [12], Growth 2 (Can Carry Objects (No Encumbrance), +10%, Super, -10%) [20], Hard to Subdue 2 [4], ST+20 (Size, -20%) [140]

Perks: Deep Sleeper [1], Masked¹ [1]

Disadvantages: Dependent (Girlfriend, Built on 25% or less, 6 or less, Loved one) [-10], Duty (USEST-A1, 9 or less, Extremely Hazardous) [-10], Enemy (Obstructive superiors², 9 or less, Rival) [-10], Impulsiveness (15) [-5], Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) [-10], Secret Identity [-5], Sense of Duty (Team) [-5]

Quirks: Bad with kids [-1], Cautious about getting discovered [-1], Doesn't like killing [-1], Grammar pedant [-1], Humble [-1]

Skills: Acrobatics-11 [2], Acting-11 [2], Area Knowledge ()-12 [2], Artist (Painting)-9 [1], Bicycling-12 [1], Computer Operation/TL8-12 [2], Diagnosis/TL8-9 [1], Driving/TL8 (Automobile)-12 [2], Fast-Talk-10 [1], First Aid/TL8-12 [2], Guns/TL8 (Pistol)-12 [1], Hobby Skill (Video Games)-11 [1], Intimidation-13 [4], Karate-13 [8], Meditation-10 [1], Observation-11 [2], Research/TL8-10 [1], Staff-14 [8], Swimming-11 [1], Wrestling-13 [4]

Techniques: Kicking (Karate)-12 [2], Sweep (Staff)-12 [2]

1: He doesn’t wear a mask, but his facial features change when growing.
2: Some of Meteor Squad’s superiors have disdain for supers that they consider to be especially ugly or dangerous. They will sometimes attempt to sabotage him, though it’s very rare for this to be directly dangerous to him or his mission.

Hyde's primary weapon is a scaled-up quarterstaff (using the rules from Low-Tech Companion 2) that deals 7d cr with a swing and 4d+1 cr with a thrust and has Reach 2-4.

Last edited by awesomenessofme1; 09-23-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
First, most high-CP people in real life are mainly just loaded up with social advantages. Sure, the number of genuinely high-CP is far more than a few hundred, but it's not as extreme as you're making it out to be.
I would imagine that supers could rapidly pick up a large amount of social advantages. How much would one of the big four get paid to do a quick advert for a large corporation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Second, a well-built combat-focused super is going to be able to easily defeat a mundane soldier of an equal point value.
Guns and equipment and teamwork and tactics are massive force multipliers. If the super just relies on their powers a soldier will be punching well above weight for their CP.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #8
Phantasm

A squad of 100-150 pt soldiers with M16s or M4s and modern combat armor in a Bradley or 6x6 LAV can take down a bunch of 250 pt blasters and controllers; with an AT4 or RPG-7, or a 90mm tank gun on the Bradley or LAV, they can take down a 500 pt brick long before the brick gets into melee range.

Let's take a 250 pt blaster built on 100 points before powers (to cover what the blaster was capable of before gaining powers). That's 150 points in powers. You're looking at a few burning, corrosive, crushing, cutting, impaling, or piercing attacks, possibly with explosive, an Armor Divisor, and Increased Range: Line-of-Sight tossed in. If they're lucky, they'll have a few points of DR with Absorption and Limited: Certain Attack Types. Still, you end up with 8d to 12d damage before running out of points; 20d if you're lucky.

Spider-Man? He's got ST 22/112; that alone eats up points. Some versions have ATR on top of that; he's definitely got ETS, as he's able to perceive bullets in flight. Enhanced Dodge out the wazoo? That'll eat points. 500 points? Bare minimum!

Most speedsters and bricks will be in the 750-1000 pt range to start. But there's only four folks in the entire world in that point range. Super ST isn't cheap, DR isn't cheap, and IT:DR likewise isn't cheap (IT:DR /2 is 50 points, and it's +25 points per level above that; that'll eat up points).

And then you have battlesuit heroes. The Iron Man Mk I we see on film is a 612 point template, not counting what's needed for an Alternate Form. That's counting the missile as an Accessory Perk rather than statting it out as an Innate Attack; the flamethrowers are 3d burn jet for 28 points. It has semi-ablative DR 35 [140] to handle going up against the .50BMG machine gun nest. It's big, bulky, and slow; and really, Tony should have died on impact with the dune from his ballistic flight (he's lucky he walked away with a broken arm...).

Now figure that some inventors will cook up battlesuits that are superior to the Mk I. I haven't statted out the Iron Monger suit Stane wore in the film, but I can estimate that it'd be about 1200 pts.

Might I suggest the Big Four be 2000 points instead of 1000?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:20 PM   #9
AlexanderHowl

I agree. The supers are too weak to be a credible threat in their numbers. The 1,000 CP supers are potentially quite scary, but they are no more scary than a M1A1 tank or a BlackHawk helicopter, and there are a heck of a lot more people driving tanks and helicopters than four.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #10
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
A squad of 100-150 pt soldiers with M16s or M4s and modern combat armor in a Bradley or 6x6 LAV can take down a bunch of 250 pt blasters and controllers; with an AT4 or RPG-7, or a 90mm tank gun on the Bradley or LAV, they can take down a 500 pt brick long before the brick gets into melee range.

Let's take a 250 pt blaster built on 100 points before powers (to cover what the blaster was capable of before gaining powers). That's 150 points in powers. You're looking at a few burning, corrosive, crushing, cutting, impaling, or piercing attacks, possibly with explosive, an Armor Divisor, and Increased Range: Line-of-Sight tossed in. If they're lucky, they'll have a few points of DR with Absorption and Limited: Certain Attack Types. Still, you end up with 8d to 12d damage before running out of points; 20d if you're lucky.

Spider-Man? He's got ST 22/112; that alone eats up points. Some versions have ATR on top of that; he's definitely got ETS, as he's able to perceive bullets in flight. Enhanced Dodge out the wazoo? That'll eat points. 500 points? Bare minimum!

Most speedsters and bricks will be in the 750-1000 pt range to start. But there's only four folks in the entire world in that point range. Super ST isn't cheap, DR isn't cheap, and IT:DR likewise isn't cheap (IT:DR /2 is 50 points, and it's +25 points per level above that; that'll eat up points).

And then you have battlesuit heroes. The Iron Man Mk I we see on film is a 612 point template, not counting what's needed for an Alternate Form. That's counting the missile as an Accessory Perk rather than statting it out as an Innate Attack; the flamethrowers are 3d burn jet for 28 points. It has semi-ablative DR 35 [140] to handle going up against the .50BMG machine gun nest. It's big, bulky, and slow; and really, Tony should have died on impact with the dune from his ballistic flight (he's lucky he walked away with a broken arm...).

Now figure that some inventors will cook up battlesuits that are superior to the Mk I. I haven't statted out the Iron Monger suit Stane wore in the film, but I can estimate that it'd be about 1200 pts.

Might I suggest the Big Four be 2000 points instead of 1000?
First of all, it's really cool you commented here. As I mentioned at the beginning, your Marvel thread was one of my inspirations for this.

One thing I didn't mention that probably is relevant to this conversation is the tone. The setting is low-powered, but it's not gritty. I would put it at about the level of GURPS Action or one of the more lighthearted (without being silly) MCU films. So that will make the concerns about supers vs normals a bit less of an issue.

That said, though I don't want to amplify the power or frequency of supers too much, I might consider making it more like 5-10 1000-pointers and one or two 2000-pointers.

Tags
supers