Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
kleefaj

Default Original Melee & Wizard counters?

Do you think there's a chance that Steve Jackson Games will ever make the original Melee & Wizard counters available for purchase?

I love the style of those counters and wish I still had my old games.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Original Melee & Wizard counters?

I agree that those original TFT counters and book illustrations by Bradley, Danforth, Hidy, Stine, and Phillips was were fabulous, but it is unlikely that they will be reprinted due to IP rights.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:49 PM   #3
Skarg

Yes, the original art is fabulous.

They'd have to find the original artists and get them to get their rights to the art back, etc. Some effort to contact them was made. They got Liz Danforth, though the style of the new art is a bit different (mainly more specific and fantastic than her original Melee set). I use my originals, and counters like and derived from them and the interior art, as well as others that I feel are close enough. There are still originals findable, as well as lots of fan art that can be used to make counters, which is easier than ever now with computers, scanners, printers, etc.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:14 AM   #4
Steve Plambeck

I don't imagine there would be a problem scanning and reprinting old counters for home use only. Just don't share them online anywhere, as that would definitely be an infringement. There's regularly originals on sale at e-bay, but they have gotten very pricey -- just saw a 1st edition Wizard going for $80 tonight.

[Disclaimer: I ain't no lawyer! That wasn't legal advice! Don't listen to me! Prank post, prank post!]

Actually might do that myself at some point. Except for the Pocket Box versions, the new 1 inch LE counters are too big to work with all my decades' worth of homemade maps and play-aides! Everything I ever made was to the 7/8 inch hex scale used in original Melee and Wizard.

And these gigantic 1.5 inch hexes?!? My 3-hex Balrog counter would look like a puny little 1-hex Balrog if I put him on these new hexes!

Actually that might be cute :)

Tags
counters