Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #741
JLV

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
Yes, I do the same, but it still would be great to have SJ read your post and give the game "official" quantified states and play-rules for these "Classics of FRPG flora"... plus whatever other devious surprises of his own, which he might throw in there.

Thoughts?

JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
But yes, by all means more flora. In fact, I think we can best characterize my position on creatures for the Beastiary as "MOAR EVERYTHING!!!"
I think my position on this is clear! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #742
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
I think my position on this is clear! ;-)
Yes, that it is LOL! I meant in terms of any other Flora which can be added to the list?

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:30 AM   #743
JLV

Somewhere along the way years ago, I seem to remember reading a collection of flora for TFT. It must have been on someplace like Brainiac or another similar web site, but it had quite a few clever suggestions. As I recall, there were a number of flowers with very dangerous (poisonous) capabilities (that killed fauna for their fertilizing properties), some special vines, and other, similar things in there. All quite clever, but I've since lost the bubble on where I saw that.

My own personal list includes:

Am Bush
Assassin Vine
Bloodtree
Fideal (a water-borne creature that looks like a very large clump of reeds)
Gallows Tree ("Hangmans Tree")
Herecine (a carnivorous bush, based on European legend)
Kulamtu Tree
Mold, Yellow
Mushrooms (various)
Shambling Mound
Tangle Tree
Wickerspawn
Witch Tree

I am completely certain these are all highly derivative and converted from some other game. Obviously, two or three are directly from TFT, and I recognize at least three of the others as being drawn from D&D. I suspect I copied the ideas of all of them from other games, though it's long enough in the past that I can't remember where I got them from. The only exception is the Tangle Tree, which I either got from David Eddings' Belgariad, or from Piers Anthony, I can't remember which...

This was still a work in progress when I stopped for some reason several years ago (I think it was when I was diagnosed with cancer -- which sort of put a lot of things on hold at the time!), and I just never got back to it. And yes, I have stats and descriptions of all of the ones listed here, but I chose not to post them to avoid making this an even longer and more annoying wall of text. ;-)
Old 03-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #744
Bayarea

I know it has been mentioned here before but Illusions are too powerful for an 11 IQ spell. Can anyone say Octopus with 3 broadswords. Maybe moving it up in IQ it a 14-15 range?

Also I would make the rule that if something that isn't a normal summoned beast (wolf, bear, gargoyle etc.) give a free 4 die vs IQ disbelieve roll as the character should have an idea this isn't real.

That way the spell won't be abused quite as much.
Bayarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #745
Rick_Smith

Default Easy fix to Illusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea View Post
I know it has been mentioned here before but Illusions are too powerful for an 11 IQ spell. Can anyone say Octopus with 3 broadswords. Maybe moving it up in IQ it a 14-15 range?

Also I would make the rule that if something that isn't a normal summoned beast (wolf, bear, gargoyle etc.) give a free 4 die vs IQ disbelieve roll as the character should have an idea this isn't real.

That way the spell won't be abused quite as much.
Hi all, Bayarea.
I really like this 'free disbelief roll for non-standard stuff', rule you suggest. I'm not sure that raising the IQ of the Illusion spell will fly, but I certainly support the idea.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:29 PM   #746
David Bofinger

Quote:
Am Bush
Witch Tree
The Wikipedia article Man-eating_tree has some useful suggestions.

I had thought the upas tree was supposed to do this. But it seems I misremembered and it's just poisonous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Vance on behalf of Navarth the Mad Poet
Avis rara, black mascara
Will you stay to dine with me?
Amanita botulina
Underneath my upas tree.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 01:35 AM   #747
JLV

Thanks for the link -- that was quite a good article (and also shows that the Tangle Tree came from Piers Anthony's Xanth series...)
Old 03-31-2018, 12:42 AM   #748
Bayarea

Here I was thinking how smart I was correcting the old Space Gamer 15 Orcs and Their Weapons article, then I see the author corrected his own article in Space Gamer 17. Oh well it just goes to show great minds think alike.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:21 AM   #749
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea View Post
Here I was thinking how smart I was correcting the old Space Gamer 15 Orcs and Their Weapons article, then I see the author corrected his own article in Space Gamer 17. Oh well it just goes to show great minds think alike.
I've gone through the exact same process on several occasions -- sometimes life comes at me so fast my head spins! ;-)
Old 04-04-2018, 12:16 AM   #750
Bayarea

Way back in 2000 on the Brainiac Site Joe Hartley, suggested rules for pulling someone out of HTH. Basically the puller had to make his DX with the +4 for the character on the ground, and the character on the ground had to miss his saving roll. I suggest for the saving roll 3 vs Dx if Puller has same or lower ST than the Pullee and 4 vs DX if Puller has a higher ST.

Tags
in the labyrinth, melee, roleplaying, the fantasy trip, wizard