Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-19-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
PK

Default Pyramid #3/108: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game III

If I'm gonna kill
I'd rather be a hero
Than a criminal
— Norzu, Honest Halfling Scout
This issue is the third promised support issue for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, and is perhaps the most immediately relevant now that the box sets are making their way into backer's hands and store shelves. Like the previous two issues (plus the preliminary one), Pyramid #3/108: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game III focuses on grab-and-go, ready-to-use content. However, this time we drilled down just a bit more, with a spotlight on monsters -- whether as challenges on their own, or as part of a dark dungeon or sprawling quest.
  • Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch was sure to pack lots of creepy critters and dangerous dudes into Monsters, but at some point, the GM is going to have used them all, or will just want a more potent version of one. At that point, it's time for Monster Modding. Add a few adjectives (several of which appear here for the first time) to your baddies and watch your players go from mockery to utter terror!

• Of course, there's nothing wrong with just adding more foes -- especially if it's More Mythic & Magical Monsters. Peter Dell'Orto, author of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 3: Born of Myth & Magic turns even more ancient legends into dangerous beasts, many with interesting variants to keep the party guessing.

• But monsters shouldn't exist in a vacuum; they need a deadly dungeon, and Hydra Island fits that bill. In this month's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver sends the party on a quest to bounty-hunt a wicked knight, through a dank swamp and into an underground cave system filled with unique and unexpected challenges.

• Of course, the heroes want loot, so anything that links monsters and magical items together is a good thing, right? Surely there's no harm in collecting these rings to assemble The Hand of the Demon. Christopher Rice presents six unique artifacts, each sealed away in a deadly ruin, guarded by unique traps, demons, and more.

• While it's not technically a Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game book, it was that campaign that let us put How to Be a GURPS GM into print, and now anyone can order it. Author Warren "Mook" Wilson's Designer's Notes for this long-anticipated print-on-demand guide show why this is a necessary part of your library.

• And the dragon's heart splits upon to reveal our Random Thought Table, which asks why the party seems to end up doing everything important in the world.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-2708
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-2708_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #2
Rasputin

Default Re: Pyramid #3/108: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game III

Darn you, Toadkiller Dog! Now I have to pare away a few monsters I can submit.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #3
Steven Marsh

Hey, all! I just pushed out an update that fixes the cover. (There was a temporal anomaly, and the cover displayed the wrong month in some timelines.) No other changes, nor changes to the interior.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
Vynticator

I don't know where's the best place to say this, but a huge thank you to the team who produced the amazing Dungeon Fantasy Kickstarter set. Beautiful work. Big thumbs up. More to say after I've had a proper read of it!
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
dripton

Glad to see more monsters. Glad to see another adventure. This one is worth buying if you play DF or DFRPG.
dripton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pyramid, pyramid 3/108