Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
starslayer

Default Healing ugent quick-deploy

Greetings all

I am looking for advice/critique on a build that I use on one of my PCs (and will possibly spread to other PCs assuming this is legit).

One of my characters who is a mage/fighter type ('standard' knights in armour fantasy late TL3) wearing heavy plate armour, in order to radically extend his combat effectiveness, keeps a few ugents against his skin tied to a ripcord which when pulled deploys the ugents.

He further puts a few ugents in a plate over his heart with a button sticking out of his armour that will crush them, so that either:
1. If an attack hits the button it deploys the ugents (wasting them if it is the FIRST attack to hit him) [potentially really useful if another member of the party can hit it for him, or a foe thinks it might be fun to hit it]
2. If he punches the area it deploys the ugents.

As far as I can tell these are great ways to rapidly deploy some alchemy in your favor- but it seems so obvious to me that I am concerned that I have never seen it mentioned as an option in any of the books so far (doubly so for dungeon fantasy where this sort of setup would be really useful for murder hobos)

We play rotating GM games, so as long as this is recognized as a valid way to do things I can expect my players PCs to start incorporating it.

The idea behind the concept is to remove the 'clutch' of deploying alchemy on yourself in combat (ready potion, drink potion, get healed 3 rounds to 'pull ripcord/hit plate->get healed in one round)

So:

1. Does this build/concept seem legitimate
2. it is 'obvious' enough that its available (at least for people who can afford to waste potions from the accidental breaks/snags of the rip cord)
3. Beyond the obvious, what sort of rules should be in place to capture accidental deployments of the potions.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Kalzazz

Default Re: Healing ugent quick-deploy

I'm the person who inspired this thread, so, to my mind this is probably somewhere between illegal and radically illegal, as 'healing item deploying armor' is a TL 9+ Hammer's Slammers type thing, certainly not a TL 3 type thing

So to me

1. Its legitimate at TL 9. It also is legitimate for anyone with sufficient Gadgeteering to pull it off. If it exists outside of that, it should be sufficiently majorly hard to get/expensive that it is not going to be a garden variety feature (remember that heavy armor to begin with is extremely expensive, anyone that can afford heavy armor can easily afford to waste a few 1k healing potions here and there . . . . this should be expensive to the point of 'we outfit this into the kings armor, but Knight Bob is on his own')
2. No, it is not obvious or common. And if Im DMing it is definitely not going to be such, as my Fantasy games are not going to become TL 3 Hammer's Slammers
3. Don't see any need for such, it seems like added fiddliness for little added benefit
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Kalzazz

I have no problem with the original character in question using them, as the original character has done it since before I even knew GURPS 4e existed if not before, so definitely grandfathered in in my mind

However, I would definitely object (unless radically convinced otherwise by this thread) to this practice spreading without people spending stuff on Gadgeteering or High TL etc
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I have no problem with the original character in question using them, as the original character has done it since before I even knew GURPS 4e existed if not before, so definitely grandfathered in in my mind

However, I would definitely object (unless radically convinced otherwise by this thread) to this practice spreading without people spending stuff on Gadgeteering or High TL etc
Or the original character buying up Wealth/Independent Income and selling these things.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alchemy, technology, ugent