Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Board and Dice Games

Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
pheasnt

Default The Stars Are Right: Suggestion

I like the game. It's that rare thing - a nice little quick game in a box that's not much bigger than it needs to be. There's one thing that would make it a great game.

Counters.

Add in three strips of half inch counters with the actions on them. Probably no more than half a dozen of each. Then when you're invoking a creature and using all your servitors to bend the sky to your will you use them just to keep track of what's available to you, and you can easily make sure you've really used them all.
pheasnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
PK

Default Re: The Stars Are Right: Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheasnt View Post
I like the game. It's that rare thing - a nice little quick game in a box that's not much bigger than it needs to be. There's one thing that would make it a great game.

Counters.

Add in three strips of half inch counters with the actions on them. Probably no more than half a dozen of each. Then when you're invoking a creature and using all your servitors to bend the sky to your will you use them just to keep track of what's available to you, and you can easily make sure you've really used them all.
Totally agree. One thing that we've been thinking about doing (it was RevBob's idea) is using poker chips with the symbols drawn on them (crudely) in marker. It would be better than nothing.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Totally agree. One thing that we've been thinking about doing (it was RevBob's idea) is using poker chips with the symbols drawn on them (crudely) in marker. It would be better than nothing.
Actually, you don't even need to draw on the chips. Three moves, three colors...all you need is a key scribbled on a handy business card. :)

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
PK

No, that would be less intuitive for anyone who wasn't very familiar with the game plus chips. Having to consult a key when staring at the chips isn't much of a brain-saver compared to just keeping track of the moves in your head.

I speak from experience here, mind. When playing Nobilis (which has four flavors of miracle point), I bought a set of poker chips and make up a key that I even put right on the character sheet ("Red = Aspect; Yellow = Domain; Blue = Realm; White = Spirit"). And players would constantly throw me the wrong chips when working miracles. Constantly. Even with the key.

So I grabbed a marker one week and wrote "A" on all the red chips, "D" on the yellow ones, etc., and no one ever had an issue again. It was seriously a night-and-day change. Something about the way our brains works makes a two-step decoding a lot harder than a one-step, at least when you're trying to focus on the GAME, not the decoding system.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheasnt View Post

Counters.
We're working on something like this, as a PDF freebie.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
We're working on something like this, as a PDF freebie.
Good to hear it. I'll happily print something like that out on cardstock.