Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-05-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
cupbearer

Default Partial injury healing times

Hi

Does anyone know how long it takes as written in MA to recover from partial injuries? I know there is a pyramid article but Im wondering about as written in MA.

thanks.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
Plane

Default Re: Partial injury healing times

I can't remember where but I thought all locations healed simultaneously.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:28 AM   #3
Varyon

RAW gives no guidance here, because GURPS lumps all injury together for purposes of healing (and pretty much everything else, aside from if the character suffers a Major Wound, or optionally if a limb is crippled). I'd be tempted to treat every HP healed as counting toward every hit location for purposes of recovering from Partial Injury. So, if an HP 10 character has taken 10 HP of injury to the Torso, he starts out at -3 DX, -50% movement. Once he's healed 4 HP, regardless of how much Injury he's taken elsewhere, this changes to -2 DX, -20% movement. Once he's healed 5 HP, he's at -1 DX. Once he's healed 7 HP, he's back to normal.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
RAW gives no guidance here, because GURPS lumps all injury together for purposes of healing...
I take the number of 'serious'* wounds the Character was inflicted with and then divide the amount of total injury they suffered by that number. The result is how much healing is needed for each 'wound to heal 1 point'.

Sometimes this means they are "fully healed" while still suffering from a temporary crippling wound, the crippling stays a further amount of time until it would be healed as well (but at this point it's on a 'one for one' basis).

* Major and Crippling Wounds.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
JazzJedi

Quote:
RAW gives no guidance here, because GURPS lumps all injury together for purposes of healing (and pretty much everything else, aside from if the character suffers a Major Wound, or optionally if a limb is crippled). I'd be tempted to treat every HP healed as counting toward every hit location for purposes of recovering from Partial Injury. So, if an HP 10 character has taken 10 HP of injury to the Torso, he starts out at -3 DX, -50% movement. Once he's healed 4 HP, regardless of how much Injury he's taken elsewhere, this changes to -2 DX, -20% movement. Once he's healed 5 HP, he's at -1 DX. Once he's healed 7 HP, he's back to normal.
GURPS 3rd edition Compendium II has an excellent optional wound system where each wound is tracked separately, heals separately, and so forth.
JazzJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
oneofmanynameless

My gaming group recently decided to bite the bullet and start recording every single wound separately, as we like having healing spells that only work on certain types of injuries, or that are limited in the amount of healing they can do per cast because each cast must target a discrete wound, etc. We also have an artist who wants to know what scars our characters have, and our GM wants there to be spells that open old wounds (or that otherwise interact with the number of wounds a subject has suffered! Imagine an attack that deals damage [adds to diced] based on the number of scars the caster has suffered!)

Anyways, point is, I'm very curious about peoples responses to this. I like Varyons rule about every HP of natural recovery counting equally for reducing the effects of all penalties from the Partial Injury rules.
oneofmanynameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
cupbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I can't remember where but I thought all locations healed simultaneously.
What do you mean heal simultaneously? There is no explanation of the mechanics of healing for partial injuries. There are rules for crippling injuries and that is all as far as I can tell.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
cupbearer

Quote:
You don't take damage to the torso, from what I have been told and what seems apparent to me is that this does not combine with accumulated wounds rule. each injury is a single hit doing the specified damage. That is what spurred me to start this thread.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #9
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupbearer View Post
What do you mean heal simultaneously? There is no explanation of the mechanics of healing for partial injuries. There are rules for crippling injuries and that is all as far as I can tell.
Simultaneous as in when you heal 1 HP, you recover 1 to your "if this goes into negative I have to make death checks" main pool, and 1 to ALL locations.

Otherwise you'd have to do stuff like choose which of your limbs got the HP which would be weird...

Another way would be when your main pool gets 1 back you could split that between all injured locations, reflecting a body with limited/split resources. So if you had taken 2 HP to both arms and got 1 back, it would be as if you had taken 1.5 HP to both arms?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:51 AM   #10
Tomsdad

I'd probably allow an immediate bandaging/first aid roll for each separate wound (so a HP back for each) but then have the rest of HP lost heal all together in the usual way if its healing via just getting better over time even with medical treatment giving bonuses to do that.

That way really light 1hp wounds might be distracting until individually treated but quickly negated, but heavier wounds still take time. You only apply one partial injury penalty per action anyway so it's not like 4x 2hp injuries one on each limb is going to net you an ongoing -4DX until healed.

If it became a concern I'd let the player choose which healed first. But I'd also take on view on what else was going on, so say they were still marching 8 hours day then yeah that arm wound might clear faster than the leg wound..

But that all said I do track bleeding separately, as well as surgery rolls on different wounds!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-08-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote