Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
LKW
GURPS Traveller Guru

Default My Pic on Wikipedia

A photograph of me was posted to the Wiki article on me on Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Loren_Wiseman.jpg.

Someone named "AmasaJoslin" (whoever that actually is) claims to be the holder of the copyright to this photograph.

I own the IP rights to this photograph. While I do not object to it being posted on the Wiki site, and am willing to allow it to be used under the terms of the Gnutella license noted there, I must insist that my ownership of the IP rights be noted. "AmasaJoslin" has given away something that is not his/hers to give.

If "AmasaJoslin" is on this board, or is known to anyone on this board, I ask that he/she get in contact with WikiPedia and make the appropriate corrections. Please spread this message to other boards in an attempt to get the news out.

Make this clear: I don't want to punish whoever uploaded the photo. I merely wish to have _my_ ownership of the IP rights acknowledged.

Thanks. This photo means a great deal to me, depicting as it does the fulfillment of one of my greatest wishes.
www.lorenwiseman.com
www.irbw.com

Last edited by LKW; 01-06-2011 at 08:28 PM.
LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: My Pic on Wikipedia

Just to be clear, are asserting you took the photo hence the copyrighter owner, or are you asserting your personality rights as the subject of the photo?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
LKW
GURPS Traveller Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Just to be clear, are asserting you took the photo hence the copyrighter owner, or are you asserting your personality rights as the subject of the photo?
Clearly, I could not have taken the photo, as it shows both of my hands and my psi talents are not that highly developed (yet). The photo was taken with my camera, at my request, by the kind gentleman who was acting as my chauffer that day. The photo is mine because it was taken with my camera (a disposable I bought for the occasion), and I own the negatives for the whole roll of pictures taken that day (it was an old school film camera, not digital).

Anyway, things are more complicated than my original post declared. The picture posted to the wiki page is a cropped version of the original in my possession, sent to Rick Loomis for use in the Origins poker deck. Some one at Rick's end added the heavy black border and cropped around my (windblown) hair. Since there is no club in the corner, it must have been posted by someone with access to the edited version before it was incorporated into the card. I didn't specifically tell Rick that that version couldn't be used for other purposes, but that is not my concern.

Ultimately, what I want is for the wiki page to be worded such that anyone who wants to use the edited version (with the black border and other changes) can do so without hindrance, but is prohibited from using other versions of the original or derivatives without asking me.
www.lorenwiseman.com
www.irbw.com
Old 01-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKW View Post
Ultimately, what I want is for the wiki page to be worded such that anyone who wants to use the edited version (with the black border and other changes) can do so without hindrance, but is prohibited from using other versions of the original or derivatives without asking me.
That is the default anyway.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Loren,

Do you mind if I pass on a link to this thread to someone that might be able to contact Rick Loomis pretty quickly?

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
LKW
GURPS Traveller Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Loren,

Do you mind if I pass on a link to this thread to someone that might be able to contact Rick Loomis pretty quickly?
No need -- I have Rick's e-mail address, so I think I count as someone who can contact him pretty quickly.
www.lorenwiseman.com
www.irbw.com
Old 01-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Alan Hume

Just posted your comments on the following forums -

MONGOOSE/TRAVELLER

TML

CITIZENS OF THE IMPERIUM/LONE STAR

KENZER AND COMPANY/ COMMUNITY LOUNGE

Hope that helps, no idea who the person is though

(Oh, did you know that there is a little bit of film of your visit to Hadrian's Wall on YOU TUBE, my brother found it recently when he was watching comic book reviews, pointed it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MECRXUf265w

Rich must have put it up a while back, pretty good memento though
Alan Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:06 AM   #8
rust

Wikipedia has already reacted and added that the IP of the image is in dis-
pute, I would expect them to contact the person who put it up and clarify
the IP ownership quite soon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Loren_Wiseman.jpg
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Alan Hume

Er, I just realised I may have messed up here somewhat too:.(

Several months ago I got in touch with KENZER AND CO (publishers of KNIGHTS OF THE DINNER TABLE MAGAZINE) to ask if they could highlight the current situation in KNIGHTS (just trying to help)

I wrote up some info (this is where I first saw your photo as I had to check your wikipedia article to get some info on the many games you have worked on) and put it forward to Kenzer and co. I suggested that they might want to use the photo of you on Wikipedia as, I thought it was a pretty cool photo and I honestly thought it would be an image they could utilise as it was already up on Wikipedia.

There was no intention here to challenge either your Ownership of said photograph or it's associated Copyright. Any mistake here is clearly of my making and not of anyone at Kenzer and Co.

The information was ultimately published (several months ago) in the KNIGHTS OF THE DINNER TABLE letters page (I was surprised somewhat as I thought it would go in as part of the editorial or in a shaded box or somesuch.
I'm guessing it went in as a letter because they used my words exactly and I guess that means they couldn't say it was the editors or somesuch)

I also have messed up here because I didn't get a copy sent out to you Loren
I realise that I should have arranged for a copy of this magazine to be sent to your good self at SJG HQ as soon as it was published.

I haven't actually done that. I have to apologise for that (and again for using your photograph without permission) but, in my defence, my head has been all over the place of late what with all the work being down on the flat and suchlike (it's been pretty stressful as I had to shed a lot of my property)

I will go and get the number of the relevant issue and order a copy to be sent to SJG HQ for you soonest.
Alan Hume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
LKW
GURPS Traveller Guru

I don't mind people using the photo, but I want to nail down ownership so that, if I decide to use the full photo in something else, there is no legal challenge.

I hadn't seen the stuff Richard took (presumably with his cell phone) and I can have no objection to those. We were outdoors, in a public place, no harm done (as long as he didn't film me scratching something offensive : ).

I'm in touch with Rick Loomis, and I suspect things will soon be resolved to my satisfaction.
www.lorenwiseman.com
www.irbw.com