Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-24-2022, 10:50 AM   #291
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Reslin elaborates: "Usually the idiot is trying something foolish, like stopping us from collecting booty. One or two of them we just had to remove to keep the secret"

as julian expresses some sort of idea that such actions are bad and not good for soldiers he gets a confused look:

"The rules of war are for armies. If we get caught, we're dead. Quickly if we're lucky. I'm not following some fool idea that's going to get me caught."
I listen to his piece. "Right. Cause you do so much looting before you capture the teleport Vasic and bring in your army."

I briefly recall news reports last year. "Oh right, and looting's bad too."

Quote:
Togar: "Naw, you'd just boil."
I'll at least try to explain, "No, as you go u-- down, there's less air. Eventually, so little air, can't breath."

Quote:
OCC: you're actually correct about the mode death for this spot (suffocation as the humidity and heat rise too high to allow for gas exchange in the lungs) and Togar is wrong, but he doesn't know that. No one has really lived to tell commando soldiers.
To be fair, Julian's right for the wrong reason. He figured, "In about a minute, you'd fall as far as Mt. Everest, and people on Mount Everest need O2 tanks to breathe."

Quote:
Is this for one of their knives, or for a random sharp branch? (you can choose)
I was assuming Julian was tied up such that he could barely move from where he was tied, so I'll stick with random sharp branch or whatever (I was actually thinking rock, but now that I think of it, that's pretty unlikely). Should be enough to start weakening the ropes, and easy enough to get rid of in a pinch.

Once I pick up the stick (assuming it worked OK), I'll start weakening the ropes, starting with the ones on the pack.

No idea what to roll for that, assuming holdout fits (cutting ropes on yourself). Maybe stealth?
Quote:
[82] 22-10-24 18:48:21 CEST
Holdout
3d6 <= 12
1 + 5 + 2 = 8 ... success
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:14 AM   #292
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I listen to his piece. "Right. Cause you do so much looting before you capture the teleport Vasic and bring in your army."

I briefly recall news reports last year. "Oh right, and looting's bad too."
Reslin: "Looting is a soldier's right. Stay out of the way, and you'll be fine."

Quote:
I'll at least try to explain, "No, as you go u-- down, there's less air. Eventually, so little air, can't breath."
Reslin: "So you're being killed two different ways at once? must be why its so awful"

Quote:
To be fair, Julian's right for the wrong reason. He figured, "In about a minute, you'd fall as far as Mt. Everest, and people on Mount Everest need O2 tanks to breathe."
This really is a tricky world to explain, I suppose. I'm so glad the point of view here is from an earth-native talking to ignorant people who don't really sweat the details.

Quote:

I was assuming Julian was tied up such that he could barely move from where he was tied, so I'll stick with random sharp branch or whatever (I was actually thinking rock, but now that I think of it, that's pretty unlikely). Should be enough to start weakening the ropes, and easy enough to get rid of in a pinch.

Once I pick up the stick (assuming it worked OK), I'll start weakening the ropes, starting with the ones on the pack.

No idea what to roll for that, assuming holdout fits (cutting ropes on yourself). Maybe stealth?
Julian manages to find a sharp stick. They don't seem to notice his new posession. He starts slowly and cautiously working away at the ropes.

He hasn't gotten through a single rope when they stop to set up a "check in". Reslin pulls a vasic stone the size of a dinner plate out of his pack, and starts inscribing it with chalk, constantly looking at his watch.

Togar watches Julian while this goes on.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 05:54 PM   #293
TGLS

Quote:
Reslin: "Looting is a soldier's right. Stay out of the way, and you'll be fine."
I shrug. "I'm not stupid. Where I come from, it's wrong, but it still happens."

Quote:
Reslin: "So you're being killed two different ways at once? must be why its so awful"
"Probably not. Probably pass out from lack of oxygen before the heat makes you, um, boil. All parts, solid to steam. No fire."

Quote:
This really is a tricky world to explain, I suppose. I'm so glad the point of view here is from an earth-native talking to ignorant people who don't really sweat the details.
I suppose that puts you on Julian's side, given that he'll ask Paldrian a bunch of difficult questions. :P

Then again I did read the blog post and I still can't really figure out how The Top fits into the funnel shape described of The Bottom.

Quote:
Julian manages to find a sharp stick. They don't seem to notice his new possession. He starts slowly and cautiously working away at the ropes.

He hasn't gotten through a single rope
Well, don't want to get all the way through, and lose the tension in the ropes. Would prefer to get them just weak enough for a well placed tug or cut finishes the whole thing off.

Quote:
when they stop to set up a "check in".

Reslin pulls a vasic stone the size of a dinner plate out of his pack, and starts inscribing it with chalk, constantly looking at his watch.

Togar watches Julian while this goes on.
Well let's put that stick away.
Quote:
[83] 22-10-26 01:52:30 CEST
Holdout
3d6 <= 12
6 + 5 + 6 = 17 ... failure
Well hopefully that isn't a bad problem

I'll try to make small talk, "Calling Paldrian? It hasn't been a day, has it?"

I guess Reslin's not going to be able to make a connection. I wonder what they'll blame.
Old 10-26-2022, 09:12 AM   #294
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I suppose that puts you on Julian's side, given that he'll ask Paldrian a bunch of difficult questions. :P

Then again I did read the blog post and I still can't really figure out how The Top fits into the funnel shape described of The Bottom.
even with the diagram? huh.

Quote:
Well let's put that stick away.

Well hopefully that isn't a bad problem
That roll is not needed, it was included in the initial roll.

Quote:

I'll try to make small talk, "Calling Paldrian? It hasn't been a day, has it?"

I guess Reslin's not going to be able to make a connection. I wonder what they'll blame.
Reslin: "Its been a long day. It's not over yet, but its time to call Paldrian. We've spent a lot of time. We're not going to push ourselves quite to exhaustion today: we've got a few more of these days ahead of us."

at a specific moment, he draws a last line on the vasic stone. The lines fuzz, and the surface seems to disappear. And then it appears again.

Togar stands up: "What? you missed the timing?"

Reslin: "I didn't miss the timing. It must be Paldrian. We'll try again in an hour. Lets stay here. I'm exhausted from going up hill looking for the watch."

Togar: "Are we sure that's your watch?"

Reslin: "yes, this is my watch. I'd know if it was different. And who else would drop a watch there?"

Togar: "Are you sure the time didn't get jostled when you dropped it?"

Reslin: "Its a better watch than that."

Togar:"A good watch would be properly secured."

Reslin starts shouting at Togar... the command chain seems to favor Reslin.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 10-26-2022, 05:26 PM   #295
TGLS

Quote:
even with the diagram? huh.
Well even if there's a wall at the edge of the ice fields, the thing needs to narrow back inwards (climate, can see the waterfall), like a bicone? That doesn't make sense given that apparently the gravity's the same at the top and bottom (though I suppose it could be like a supported by the rest of the Vasic), and that the endless waterfall is a result of the shape of the place.
Quote:
That roll is not needed, it was included in the initial roll.
Erring on the side of 'too many rolls' seems better than a delay.

Quote:
Reslin: "Its been a long day."
I sit down with a heavy thud. I think I like it better when psychopaths have cars. Or maybe not. Wouldn't have a chance of getting back if they drove this long.

Quote:
Reslin: "I didn't miss the timing. It must be Paldrian. We'll try again in an hour. Lets stay here. I'm exhausted from going up hill looking for the watch."
Looks like it worked. If Paldrian would attempt to reconnect an hour later, I made enough of an error for that plan not to work out. Reconnecting in another hour probably isn't going to work either.

Quote:
Reslin starts shouting at Togar... the command chain seems to favor Reslin.
Well I'm not going to interrupt them if they're going to argue. But I will try to wear away at these ropes with the stick while they're distracted.
Quote:
[84] 22-10-27 01:25:57 CEST
Holdout
3d6 <= 12
1 + 3 + 6 = 10 ... success
Old 10-27-2022, 09:46 AM   #296
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Well even if there's a wall at the edge of the ice fields, the thing needs to narrow back inwards (climate, can see the waterfall), like a bicone? That doesn't make sense given that apparently the gravity's the same at the top and bottom (though I suppose it could be like a supported by the rest of the Vasic), and that the endless waterfall is a result of the shape of the place.
Yeah, gravity in Riask doesn't work like it does on earth.

Quote:
Well I'm not going to interrupt them if they're going to argue. But I will try to wear away at these ropes with the stick while they're distracted.
Togar is eventually cowed, and the group sits mostly in silence, with Reslin watching he clock. Togar eventually inscribes a heat stone and starts warming up food.

Give me a holdout roll for the ropes.

The second call attempt fails. There is a great deal of what Julian thinks is cursing, and Reslin declares they will be stopping here for the day, and tomorrow will be trying to climb back. He thinks it will take two days to get back.

Old 10-27-2022, 04:43 PM   #297
TGLS

Quote:
Yeah, gravity in Riask doesn't work like it does on earth.
Still can't work out the shape... Maybe a cone on a loop? No matter.

Quote:
Togar is eventually cowed, and the group sits mostly in silence, with Reslin watching he clock. Togar eventually inscribes a heat stone and starts warming up food.

Give me a holdout roll for the ropes.
Can't let the ropes seem too worn...
Quote:
[85] 22-10-28 00:23:05 CEST
Holdout pt. 2
3d6 <= 12
3 + 1 + 4 = 8 ... success
Quote:
The second call attempt fails. There is a great deal of what Julian thinks is cursing, and Reslin declares they will be stopping here for the day, and tomorrow will be trying to climb back. He thinks it will take two days to get back.
"Lovely. How's that fix anything? Your friends will be in hiding for three days. Where are you going to get an accurate time? March right up to the clock? Yeah, that'll go over well with a tied up kid behind you."

Two days to get back? Not good; something tells me Tar Breath will be heading in after us when Paldrian complains that he hasn't heard back from Reslin...
Old 10-28-2022, 08:07 AM   #298
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Still can't work out the shape... Maybe a cone on a loop? No matter.
Try a can with a funnel on each end.

Quote:
"Lovely. How's that fix anything? Your friends will be in hiding for three days. Where are you going to get an accurate time? March right up to the clock? Yeah, that'll go over well with a tied up kid behind you."
Togar: "There are two of us, dummy. One stays with the prisoner, the other gets the time. Or finds the others."

They haven't noticed the ropes yet, and he's making some real progress. They camp for the night. They're very clear they intend to stay up and have one of them watch Julian all night. They give him some vegetable wraps, and pull out bed rolls from their packs. Julian's pack and ropes stay on. Togar settles down to sleep first.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:43 PM   #299
TGLS

Quote:
Try a can with a funnel on each end.
So it is a portal at the ends? I thought the waterfall was from the shape of the world.

Quote:
Togar: "There are two of us, dummy. One stays with the prisoner, the other gets the time. Or finds the others."
Well, I suppose if they don't notice the rope I might only have one person to run from.
Quote:
They haven't noticed the ropes yet, and he's making some real progress. They camp for the night. They're very clear they intend to stay up and have one of them watch Julian all night. They give him some vegetable wraps, and pull out bed rolls from their packs. Julian's pack and ropes stay on. Togar settles down to sleep first.
"What day is it? Last I remember it was the twelfth."

If they do bother telling me, "Can I write that down? I never remember the dates."

I'll try to get comfortable. "You've got two rolls and only one of you is going to be sleeping. Won't even consider sharing?"
Quote:
[86] 22-10-29 01:30:47 CEST
Diplomacy
3d6 <= 12
1 + 1 + 1 = 3 ... success
If they refuse both letting me write the date or lending the roll, I'll say in English, "What, like watching kids sleep? Pervert."

Then I'll try to sleep. Shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited by TGLS; 10-28-2022 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:11 AM   #300
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"What day is it? Last I remember it was the twelfth."
Reslin:"The fourteenth"

Quote:
If they do bother telling me, "Can I write that down? I never remember the dates."
Reslin: "Yeah, go ahead and write."

Quote:
I'll try to get comfortable. "You've got two rolls and only one of you is going to be sleeping. Won't even consider sharing?"
Reslin: "How do I know I won't get it back soiled or ripped or some other stupidity?"

Quote:
So it is a portal at the ends? I thought the waterfall was from the shape of the world.
Its like a pac-man world, where the bottom wraps around the be the top and the top wraps around to be the bottom. So it acts like there is a portal at the ends.

Tags
lost in dreams