Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #51
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Spaceships] Ornithopter Wings no longer TL5+2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yeah, I agree that ornithopters for Spacecraft is purely "clockpunk" (and really only makes sense with luminferous ether or something anyway). Is vicky arguing that ornithopter powered spacecraft are TL9 or merely that practical (non-novelty) ornithopters are?
Actually, I wouldn't want to argue that they are practical*. Just that the drivetrain itself is not necessarily a divergent-TL one. Now, the issues of practical size and mass are another matter - craft with inflated hot air balloons don't fit the G:SS standards of mass/size either.

* == Actually, I'm pretty sure some stuff in G:SS is impractical. I recall some jet/turbine was in every way better than another, no worse in cost, and no higher in TL.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #52
Anthony

Quote:
It is in certain applications, tactical recon for example. Also ornithopters scale to pretty small platforms, which jet engines don't.
Who's going to use a jet engine? Propellers have superior performance at low velocities, and can be made as small as ornithopters, you can buy RC planes that are roughly hummingbird weight.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #53
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Who's going to use a jet engine? Propellers have superior performance at low velocities, and can be made as small as ornithopters, you can buy RC planes that are roughly hummingbird weight.
Prop-driven fixed wings can't hover and don't look like birds. If you need something that can hover and loiter for long times it's a better choice. If you want something that can be camouflaged as an animal it's your only choice.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 04-03-2012 at 04:51 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #54
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Actually, I wouldn't want to argue that they are practical*. Just that the drivetrain itself is not necessarily a divergent-TL one. Now, the issues of practical size and mass are another matter - craft with inflated hot air balloons don't fit the G:SS standards of mass/size either.

* == Actually, I'm pretty sure some stuff in G:SS is impractical. I recall some jet/turbine was in every way better than another, no worse in cost, and no higher in TL.
I know that I never like their status as divergent either. They are superscience for efficient human carrying sized ships. TL 9 or so for small autonomous drones.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #55
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I know that I never like their status as divergent either.
It's in SS7 for clockpunk settings. Spacecraft flying through the ether on mighty wings is absolutely divergent, it requires divergent physics!

Just because something exists in our TL progression doesn't mean it's not also possible in divergent ones. That Eberron's lightning rail is TL4+2 (or whatever), doesn't mean that trains aren't still TL5.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 04-03-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #56
Anthony

Quote:
Prop-driven fixed wings can't hover and don't look like birds.
Well, they can hover if they have tilt rotors and sufficiently powerful props, it's not particularly hard for microplanes to hover. Looking like birds is a rather specialized purpose.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #57
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
It's in SS7 for clockpunk settings. Spacecraft flying through the ether on mighty wings is absolutely divergent, it requires divergent physics!

That is the definition of superscience not divergence.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #58
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well, they can hover if they have tilt rotors and sufficiently powerful props, it's not particularly hard for microplanes to hover. Looking like birds is a rather specialized purpose.
Call me when they can actually make a tilt rotor that doesn't regularly kill everyone board.
I may be behind on new tech, so ignore the sarcasm if anyone's done it by now. :)
Old 04-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #59
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
That is the definition of superscience not divergence.
Is it? Then almost all "-punk" divergence is also superscience. It's not plausible that Da Vinci could have built a working Ornithopter at all. I guess you can just pencil in the "^" if that makes you happier.
Quote:
Call me when they can actually make a tilt rotor that doesn't regularly kill everyone board.
I may be behind on new tech, so ignore the sarcasm if anyone's done it by now. :)
The V-22 has been in service since 2007. There's been only one crash since then and it was a pretty typical combat aircraft incident (and could of happened to any aircraft under the same circumstances).

Last edited by sir_pudding; 04-03-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #60
Anthony

Quote:
I was talking about microplanes; zero crew on board anyway, and in some cases terminal velocity so low they can fall out of the sky and just bounce. The Osprey works better than any similar mass ornithopter (since no such even exist).

Tags
ornithopter, ornithopter wings, spaceships, spaceships 7