Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Gnomes of Zurich > The Industry

Old 01-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Default Dungeons and Dragons Exploring a New Edition

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ngeons-Dragons

Not putting this out to encourage flamewars, but I didn't know if everyone on this board knew of this.

-P.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
ChemGeek

Default Re: Dungeons and Dragons Exploring a New Edition

As I mentioned privately, the 4th edition of D&D sparked a very strong dislike for me, and I have avoided it like the plague.

As a very long time D&D player I am curious what the new edition might bring, but I also have a healthy dose of skepticism as well.

I expect I will get copies of the new core rules to read and try out. But they have the weight of my entire D&D library to contend with, so they better do a very good job. I have enough 3.5 D&D material to last me a very, very long time.

And of course I am adding GURPS material at a good pace to my library, and I haven't gotten anything D&D in a long time.

My 2 cents.
ChemGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #3
smurf
Banned

What is the time scale of announcement to shelves?

IMO when 4th hit the shelves I remember the industry virtually closed as the DnD boulder rolled by.

I'm not a fan and I am still amazed they have done this. It is like saying anything to do with 4th will be made redundant very soon. I guess SJG will pick up their players bit by bit as they switch because they cannot stomach another change. I thought GW was bad at that and I know many players who have simply sold their stuff on and given up.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Collective_Restraint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemGeek View Post
As I mentioned privately, the 4th edition of D&D sparked a very strong dislike for me, and I have avoided it like the plague.
Same for me.

Quote:
As a very long time D&D player I am curious what the new edition might bring, but I also have a healthy dose of skepticism as well.
Well this time, they are asking for feedback on it. Check the WotC website and register to be able to provide feedback about the next edition. For the first time since the release of 4E, I am starting to look back at their site, especially since this time, my feedback might be taken into account. Maybe you should register too.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
ChemGeek

I saw that they were going to be more accepting of feedback, and I might have to register so that I can provide my input.

I, too, haven't been to the WoTC website in a long time.

As I mentioned I have a wealth of material, and if they integrate it so I can use it more effectively I am open to it, especially all the Forgotten Realms source material.
ChemGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
Mailanka

Quote:
4e was the first edition of D&D that I liked, but the deeper I explored it, the more I found it didn't really do what I wanted, and for the sort of game I'd really like, the games I already had (like GURPS) were just better. I suspect that this boils down to the core of how D&D works, though, so 5e probably won't matter much to me.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Anthony

I've run a 4e game for somewhat over a year, and I was planning on bringing it to a close sometime in the near future. 4e has its good features, but it also has its really weird features, and it's starting to break down rather rapidly in the mid paragon tier (then again, prior editions tended to break down before level ten, so that's not really a new thing).
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
StormyWaters

I really liked 4E. They finally gave each class a very distinct feel instead of "fighter with a couple neat tricks".

Cthulhu: 1, 2, 3.

Munchkin Homebrew!

Illuminati: Deluxe, BFD, Y2K, MAD, Brainwash
StormyWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
johndallman
Night Watchman

I registered for the playtest, but I'll save signing up for the "Dndnext" forum on the site until I have a clearer idea of what I want to suggest.

One thing that is clear to me is that they will never reconcile people who like all the different editions to one mode of play. Original, Basic/Expert/Master, AD&D 1e and AD&D2e all worked in a similar way. That's what I learned in 1979-84, and I still have a lot of characters I'm fond of, and whose stories are not finished yet; the best of the DMs I played with then are still active. I would very much like to be able to buy these rules sets in good-quality PDF renditions.

3e and 3.5e worked in a different way, but it was sort of compatible in play. I played a campaign of it enjoyably, and was at a convention last weekend where there were several games mixing older characters with 3.x.

4e seems to work rather differently. I don't know; I gave up fifty or so pages in, because it seemed so alien, and broke my suspension of disbelief so thoroughly. Having seen a few 4e characters played in mixed games hasn't made it seem more plausible.

But WoC want to have a single target game to publish scenarios and supplements for. One way to do that might be to have a few modes of play, such as "Austere", "Skill-based" and "Powers-based", which could allow plots to work in a similar way across modes, while the monsters and treasure were variables. Dropping the occasional powers-based monster into an austere game seems entirely legitimate.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
Anthony

4e is the first version of D&D that totally threw simulation and worldbuilding out the window, which gives silly results like giants with 20 strength. It's also the first edition of the rules where I've felt either the need or the desire to regularly get out the map board and minis; viewed as a board game, it's a good game.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote