Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #21
PK

Default Re: what to do with 1000 pt

On a high (but not quite "super") budget like that, I find that social advantages are amazingly powerful. Load up on some solid Ally Groups (powerful ones, since you can get 250-point Allies on the cheap), max your Status and Wealth, add high TL and whatever UBs the GM requires to give you access to high-tech gear (or take Quick Gadgeteer and the Engineer! wildcard skill to make it yourself), and then throw in a powerful, effective Patron. You should be able to guanxixue your way through situations just based on the sheer number of people you know.

(And one of my favorite abilities from our last supers game is still "I Know A Guy". Modular Ability (Contacts Only). Crazy useful.)

And BTW, as your point budget goes up, disadvantages become less and less of a good deal, and more something that you want to take for roleplaying purposes. Bad Temper (9) [-15] is just as inconvenient for a 1000-point PC as it is for a 100-point PC (arguably more so), but it gives you back 1/10 the point break relative to your existing budget. So don't load up on them for the sake of points -- take the ones you want.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #22
Ulgulanoth

actually my GM has just informed me that all players will need to meet only 1 requirement in his game, which is to be able to survive and deal with being cornered by 10 guards with machine guns... though he said to be as creative as possible.... any thoughts?

also i do like that super smart guy idea...
Ulgulanoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #23
tanniynim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulgulanoth View Post
actually my GM has just informed me that all players will need to meet only 1 requirement in his game, which is to be able to survive and deal with being cornered by 10 guards with machine guns... though he said to be as creative as possible.... any thoughts?

I'd still go with Possession or Mind Control and load up on Compartmentalized Mind. Altered Time Rate might be fun here too. "Whoh, I'm your friend, guys. You want to PROTECT me."
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #24
Agramer

Quote:

Make Ultimate Martial artist with Chi powers(enhanced DR and stuff)....beg your GM to allow you Chambara Rules for Martial Arts(shouldnt be hard at 1000 pts budget)..

add some guns and youre good to go.

OR make a Mage....1000 point mage with some wealth(to buy powerstones) and technological spells(to use powerplants,including nuclear ones for fatigue purposes.....).Spells on 1000+ fatigue cost can make wonders..

When youre not near power reactors,use batteries and powerstones.
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #25
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post
Make Ultimate Martial artist with Chi powers(enhanced DR and stuff)....beg your GM to allow you Chambara Rules for Martial Arts(shouldnt be hard at 1000 pts budget)..

add some guns and youre good to go.

OR make a Mage....1000 point mage with some wealth(to buy powerstones) and technological spells(to use powerplants,including nuclear ones for fatigue purposes.....).Spells on 1000+ fatigue cost can make wonders..

When youre not near power reactors,use batteries and powerstones.
battires don't work with Draw Power in 4e, it needs to be connected to some machine the does work.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #26
smurf
Banned

Quote:

Seen Push, then do that, that would be cool.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #27
Agramer

Instant teleporting is fun also,especially if you have long range also

Insta teleport 10 meters behind bad guy...pass Body sense check...Blast him into back with Blaster =>attack from behind => no active defences.

Decade ago I played "Paladin" from Ascetic Order who fought Demons and nasty stuff.
Had Katana and Teleport spell at 25(or 30 not sure any more) ...Blink also comes handy.

Teleport 100 metars right behind Enemy Army General,Mage,Sorcerer,Demon ... smack him with Katana + powerblow to neck .... 4 parrys later(they have superduper bodyguards) teleport back into friendly lines.

Was fun ... and GM was pulling his hair lol.
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #28
Angry Sandwich

1,000 pts? Oh! Make an unkillable immortal with, oh, 40 levels of Serendipity, a bit of Luck, tons of wealth Wealth and Rev's Modular Ability(Contacts). You ever hear the theory that 7 people in the world own everything? Well, this guy is one of them.

The serendipity is there to represent that he's able to (and does) plan for just about everything. When you live for an eternity, you make stupidly complicated plans for fun. Like setting some small group to become galactic overloads so the guy who is put in charge of a group of 10 guys with machine guns that are sent to kill you ends up dating your cousin.
Angry Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #29
LemmingLord

How about cursed, danger sense, enhanced time sense, reduced time rate, and perception 210?

"I...see...the...bullet...coming...right...at...me ...Owwwwwwwwwwww"
Old 08-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #30
Mgellis

Quote:

DR 30 [150] <-- bullets from pretty much all small arms will bounce off you
Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction 10 [150] <-- any damage that penetrates your DR gets divided by 10
Instant Regeneration [150] <-- 10 HP/second
Unkillable 3 [150] <-- Even if they do kill you, you'll come back
30d Burning Attack [150] <-- You are a fusion rifle
Extra Attack 5 (Multi-strike, +20%) [150] <-- And you can attack six different people, or the same person six times, every combat round

And 100 points left over for skills, etc.

Enjoy.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote