Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
HolmeG

Default Re: GAMA Announcements

Will Munchkin Loot Letter and Munchkin Panic be there own stand alone games or will they combine with regular Munchkin?
HolmeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolmeG View Post
Will Munchkin Loot Letter and Munchkin Panic be there own stand alone games or will they combine with regular Munchkin?
Gosh I hope not. That would seem like kind of a stretch. (Though I can certainly imagine them including a Munchkin promo card or something that COULD be used with Munchkin.)
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolmeG View Post
On their own.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:44 AM   #14
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

LOVE LETTER has, I think, been overlooked by a lot of people who really enjoy fast games, because most fast games have silly themes and LOVE LETTER does not.

LOOT LETTER solves that problem by having Munchkin art while keeping the play value and blazing (10-15 minutes max) speed. I expect a lot of people will play it, like it, and then go out and buy the original game just because.

My comment after the very first time I played LOOT LETTER was "You know how Munchkin gets played by people waiting for the rest of the RPG group to show up? Well, this will get played by people waiting for the rest of the Munchkin group to show up."

MUNCHKIN PANIC has a very different cooperation balance from Munchkin. In Munchkin, you cooperate when you have to, and backstab when you can. (Your mileage may vary.) In MUNCHKIN PANIC, you will, mostly, be cooperating. Except when you don't. But if you don't cooperate a lot, you WILL all die, and, unlike Munchkin, when you all die it is Game Over, Monsters Win.
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:09 AM   #15
Olin Froid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
MUNCHKIN PANIC has a very different cooperation balance from Munchkin. In Munchkin, you cooperate when you have to, and backstab when you can. (Your mileage may vary.) In MUNCHKIN PANIC, you will, mostly, be cooperating. Except when you don't. But if you don't cooperate a lot, you WILL all die, and, unlike Munchkin, when you all die it is Game Over, Monsters Win.
I love that Munchkin Panic is going to challenge those of us (self included) to play a variety of Munchkin where constant backstabbing has the potential to blow up in my face, and possibly lose the game for us all of us. Excited to see how it plays out.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #16
Donovan

Will you be able to face the much feared Gazebo in Munchkin Panic?
Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
That sounds a lot like one of the rulesets in the original Castle Panic. Unfortunately it sounds like the one we never use, since the attraction of the game for us was its co-operative nature. Couldn't really get into a weird co-operative/competitive hybrid. Really prefer one or the other, I guess. So as much as we like both games, this may end up being a pass for us.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #18
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
That sounds a lot like one of the rulesets in the original Castle Panic.
It is more or less exactly one of the rules in the original CP. However, I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to play MP pure co-op, just like CP. (And it's certainly an easy house rule to add even if the rules *don't* address it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
Will you be able to face the much feared Gazebo in Munchkin Panic?
That would be a spoiler.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #19
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
It is more or less exactly one of the rules in the original CP. However, I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to play MP pure co-op, just like CP. (And it's certainly an easy house rule to add even if the rules *don't* address it.)
That's true. I really WANT to have a reason to buy this, as much as I like both games. I'm just hoping it is distinct enough from regular Castle Panic that I can justify the $40 pricetag. If it is just reskinned, but otherwise exactly the same, then I'll be happy it was made due to the potential for bringing fans of one to try the other, but I'll probably have to pass myself.

I'm hoping for something more along the lines of Dead Panic, where the basic concept is the same, but the gameplay has several notable differences. (I'd actually BUY Dead Panic, except I can't stand Zombies.)

Last edited by Mister Ed; 03-20-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #20
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The gameplay is distinctly different.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote