Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 AM   #21
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Munchkin Game Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
But, that's not to say that I don't feel that what was stated, while factually correct, was morally questionable - at best.
FYI: This is going to be my last post on this subject, both because I have WAY too much else to do and because your tone has become unpleasantly hostile.

Quote:
Even your "strongest partners" and BFFs at Barnes and Noble can't tell the difference "boosters" and "cards in the boosters" - the product description on their website VERY CLEARLY says that the set is "a way to get five hard to find boosters all at once." Not "a way to get the cards from five hard to get boosters."
If you're going to quote me, quote me accurately. I said our relationship with B&N was one of our strongest partnerships. I did not say they were our strongest partner, and I certainly never called them BFFs.

Catalog copy is, by its nature, elliptical; having done plenty of marketing writing in my time, I know that subtleties often get missed in the crunch to make the blurb fit the space.

Quote:
What could have been done differently? Well, there was the Illuminator post that said "Grab one quick, because they won't be getting any more." And sure, FLGS's aren't getting any more, but the intent of this post was to convince folks that the set was going to be hard to get - right before you made a mass re-release at a nationwide retailer.
People who just want the single booster should be aware that it's going away. People who may want a couple of out-of-print boosters (or the cards therefrom, if you insist on 100% precision) can go pick up Game Changers at B&N instead.

Quote:
Then, when the other post came up, you could have stated something along the lines of "Currently, Munchkinomicon stand-alone boosters are not available via distributors. Stay tuned though." Is that hinting at the B&N pack? No. Because it specifically mentioned the Munchkinomicon booster, which is a completely different product, right?
No, I couldn't, because it was an unannounced product and company policy is not to discuss unannounced products.

Quote:
I'm not saying the person who paid $18 got a great deal by any means.
He got a better one -- if you'll go back and reread his post, you'll see he ended up buying it for a lot less than $18.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #22
UncleBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
FYI: This is going to be my last post on this subject, both because I have WAY too much else to do and because your tone has become unpleasantly hostile.
As I've said twice, it isn't worth arguing over. However, I reserve the right to reply to posts made directly to me.

I do want to touch on this...
Quote:
(or the cards therefrom, if you insist on 100% precision)
...I'm not the one trying to be pedantic about making a difference between reprinting the booster by itself vs. reprinting the cards from the booster in a value pack.

Basically, what it comes down to is if there's really a big difference between reprinting a booster, reprinting the cards from the booster or if it exists in in both states at the same time, and you don't really know what it is until you open the box.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #23
Mister Ed

Before this thread gets locked down, let me sneak my opinions in here. They are, principally:

1.) These booster collection products are awesome, and ALMOST make me wish I hadn't already purchased all the boosters in question

2.) Given the constraints on Andrew as far as referencing unreleased product, and in the face of a direct question about the possibility of the reprinting of the Munchkinomicon, I think he DID answer the only way he really could, short of not answering at all (which *I* might have done had I known that in a few short days B&N would be announcing this product anyway, but I don't have Andrew's knowledge and responsibilities, nor any idea if he actually KNEW that bit of info at the time, so I'm not going to second guess him).

But...

3.) Not trying at all to sound hostile, and knowing this will essentially sound like Monday morning quarterbacking, the only part of this whole thing that I do find a bit off was the fact that SJGames did, shortly (a little over a week) before the announcement of this product go out of their way to post a notice in the Illuminator not JUST informing folks that they were sold out of Munchkinomicon, but encouraging people to go "grab one quick". It is one thing not to reveal or even hint at a partner's upcoming product, but that Illuminator created a sense of urgency that really, as it turns out, wasn't warranted. And that Illuminator post, very likely, was a motivator for some of the direct questioning about reprinting that Andrew then had to figure out how to best respond to. Given the relatively short interval between the two (and the fact that it had ALREADY been announced, on more than one occasion in the past, that Munchkinomicon was in short supply and would not be reprinted), it SEEMS like it would have been better to simply hold off on such an announcement until one could ALSO give people the news about the Game Changers set (or at least NOT word the Illuminator in such a way as to encourage a sense of urgency and haste).

Just my two cents.

And if, one day down the road, we see a set called "Munchkin Marketing Madness" with all the licensed boosters (Conan, The Guild, Skullkickers, and Penny Arcade), that would be cool, too. I don't consider that likely, but here's me putting my name on the suggestion, so maybe this time I can look cool for predicting a product more than two days before it comes to pass. ;-)
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #24
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I know I said I was done, but I wanted to say that this discussion inspired me to write this post, which says pretty much everything I think needs saying on the subject. From now on, I'll just be able to point people there. So thanks to the posters for getting me to set this down on paper -- or electrons, anyway.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #25
Enzzo

Quote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but do you know what "shopping around" for me would be? I have two Friendly "local" Game Stores. One is about an hour one direction, while the other is about an hour and a half in the other direction. The closer store is actually more of a comic shop and they carry a very small selection of Munchkin product. The other one ROCKS, but is a 3-hour round trip. Thankfully, if I need something, I can usually hit them up on Facebook.
Shopping around these days means checking various websites, or calling your FLGS(s), or, like you said, connecting with them on Facebook. My FLGS has that option as well. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to locate the product you want at a reasonable (cover or below) price.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 AM   #26
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I know I said I was done, but I wanted to say that this discussion inspired me to write this post, which says pretty much everything I think needs saying on the subject. From now on, I'll just be able to point people there. So thanks to the posters for getting me to set this down on paper -- or electrons, anyway.
Good post, and an excellent way to address the issue now and going forward.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #27
Gardensnake

[QUOTE=Mister Ed;1510076]But...

3.) Not trying at all to sound hostile, and knowing this will essentially sound like Monday morning quarterbacking, the only part of this whole thing that I do find a bit off was the fact that SJGames did, shortly (a little over a week) before the announcement of this product go out of their way to post a notice in the Illuminator not JUST informing folks that they were sold out of Munchkinomicon, but encouraging people to go "grab one quick". It is one thing not to reveal or even hint at a partner's upcoming product, but that Illuminator created a sense of urgency that really, as it turns out, wasn't warranted. And that Illuminator post, very likely, was a motivator for some of the direct questioning about reprinting that Andrew then had to figure out how to best respond to. Given the relatively short interval between the two (and the fact that it had ALREADY been announced, on more than one occasion in the past, that Munchkinomicon was in short supply and would not be reprinted), it SEEMS like it would have been better to simply hold off on such an announcement until one could ALSO give people the news about the Game Changers set (or at least NOT word the Illuminator in such a way as to encourage a sense of urgency and haste).
QUOTE]

One thing being overlooked here is that neither Andrew nor SJ Games announced Game Changer. It was discovered on the Barnes and Noble web site by a forum member and linked to in this very thread. SJ Games hasn't done anything short of saying the Munchkinomicon booster was almost gone and then acknowledging that the cards would be in Game Changers. They didn't try to pull a fast one, in fact Game Changers won't even be available till April. Hardly a bait and switch move on Andrew's part.

William
Gardensnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #28
LordArach

Well, I think it's cool and, even though I have those boosters, will be awaiting its release just so I can get the new Fairy Dust and Munchkinomicon level counters. I'll probably just end up repackaging the boosters that come in it to give away at demos. Thanks!

Praise "Bob"!
LordArach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #29
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I'm declaring discussion of the previous unpleasantness off-topic. If you want to talk about Game Changers itself, that's fine, but let's leave the side issues alone. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #30
Mister Ed

Here's a question about Game Changers that you may or may not be at liberty to answer at this point, but I thought I'd toss it out there.

The Level Counters included, do they benefit from the same rule as the rest of the Level Counters? If you have a Fairy Dust Level Counter, and the game you are playing includes Fairy Dust, does that mean you start at Level 2? If so, that would be kind of neat, IMHO.