Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > The Gnomes of Zurich > The Industry

Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #181
Malenfant

Default Re: Dungeons and Dragons Exploring a New Edition

None of that is really my concern. All I know is that it is (for now at least) a perfectly legitimate remote backup method, it works well, and it's easy to use.

It's there and it's usable. Use it if you want to, don't us it if you don't want to.

(of course, none of this has anything whatsoever to do with the OP).
Malenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #182
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malenfant View Post
None of that is really my concern. All I know is that it is (for now at least) a perfectly legitimate remote backup method, it works well, and it's easy to use.

It's there and it's usable. Use it if you want to, don't us it if you don't want to.

(of course, none of this has anything whatsoever to do with the OP).
At the moment, it's a legal gray zone. Most software licenses only permit one backup, and federal law only permits one backup in a non-usable storage*, so in the US, they're outside the expressly allowed by law modes.

Beware confusing "not expressly forbidden" with "perfectly legal" - the two are far from synonymous.

-=-=-=-=-=-
*the intent was for a stored original and a working copy, with the stored original in a secure storage medium. Like a safe. The law on that hasn't been substantially altered to account for electronic media.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #183
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Monte Cook reports he's left the D&D 5th ed project.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #184
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Monte Cook reports he's left the D&D 5th ed project.
And with it my hopes for 5th being as reason to return to the game after the turn 4th ed made
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:21 AM   #185
Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
And with it my hopes for 5th being as reason to return to the game after the turn 4th ed made
Monte publicly supports the game, approves of where the design is going, and actively trusts the work of the people carrying it forward. Furthermore, he is willing to consult on further development in the future.

His specific conflict was with Corporate/Management, not overcreative/design differences.
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #186
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Monte publicly supports the game, approves of where the design is going, and actively trusts the work of the people carrying it forward. Furthermore, he is willing to consult on further development in the future.

His specific conflict was with Corporate/Management, not overcreative/design differences.
Read it again. Monte left for differences with the management, not with the design team. However, this could mean many things: pay issues, work hour issues, attribution issues, chain of command issues, etc... or it could mean that management wanted something into the game that Monte would not sign in. For example, imagine (completely nonsensical example) that management wanted MLP as a PC race, and Monte said "no way, I'm not putting my name under that decision". It would fit what Monte has said, and yet it would it would be a creative/design issue.

Also, even if Monte approves of the current state of the game, there's no guarantee that what ends up being published has his approval. Once he leaves, he washes his hands on the creative process.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #187
Palmer

I'm just saying, Monte leaving is not the end of the world.
The open playtest is coming up soon, and it's going to have him all over it - they can't get his mark off it that fast.

Where it goes from here... who knows. Once it hits playtest, the players will have more influence on it than Monte could anyways.

Amusingly enough, for every person I see going "Monte's gone, I have lost all interest in it now", I see 2 people going "Now that Monte is gone, I'm interested"
CON SCHEDULE

Old 04-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #188
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
I'm just saying, Monte leaving is not the end of the world.
The open playtest is coming up soon, and it's going to have him all over it - they can't get his mark off it that fast.

Where it goes from here... who knows. Once it hits playtest, the players will have more influence on it than Monte could anyways.

Amusingly enough, for every person I see going "Monte's gone, I have lost all interest in it now", I see 2 people going "Now that Monte is gone, I'm interested"
I have no pro- or anti-Monte feelings, I stopped really caring about D&D a long time ago. However, it is always good to look at where the market is going. Signed for the playtest, and it might make me consider giving D&D a chance again, if I like what I see... but it will need to be something really good for me even try it.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #189
Alden Loveshade

Quote:

With all due respect to Monte Cook and the commentor, the public reason someone gives for leaving a project/position--"creative differences," "moving on to other projects," "want to spend more time with my family," often has little to do with actual reasons. But that's their business.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #190
Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
With all due respect to Monte Cook and the commentor, the public reason someone gives for leaving a project/position--"creative differences," "moving on to other projects," "want to spend more time with my family," often has little to do with actual reasons. But that's their business.
This is true, but he went on to sing the praises of all his peers in the project - by name.

If you leave due to a conflict with your direct co-workers, you generally do not do it by saying "Yo, all these people I'm specifically calling out by name are awesome"
CON SCHEDULE