Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #171
stefanj

Default Re: Ogre Kickstarter

OK, I got my first post-raise check, and I'm to squander the increase on a bigger pledge before I sober up and work it into my budget. #B^/
Old 04-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #172
D351

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
OK, I got my first post-raise check, and I'm to squander the increase on a bigger pledge before I sober up and work it into my budget. #B^/
It's not squandering. It's an investment.
D351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #173
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban View Post
Pledged for 25 USD but I am one of these guys living outside USA so if/when news about cost and option for shipping interantional gets released I will raise my pledge if it is within reach for an old Ogre gamer like me ;)

So SJG would most likely benefit if they could get some news on that out to the potential customer base.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese8242 View Post
They've said on the kickstarter that international shipping will be done, it's in the works, they just want to look into all of their options before making a decision. But it will be done.
I'm in the same boat. As soon as they say they'll ship to Canada, I'm in for at least one set and some extras.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #174
Malfeis

I'm in for two plus swag, really excited. Any chance the mighty Ogrethulhu might make a surprise appearance on one of the counter sheets?
Malfeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #175
Aahz

At what level do you get your own personal MIB to deliver the box and play Ogre with you? What about Phil? Steve? ;-)

Kerry
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she fell on me. Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny. - J. Handey
Aahz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #176
the adventurer

Okay. I've been a Steve Jackson Games fan for a lot of years now (okay, a little more then 10. But still) and I've always heard about ORGE. But don't know a lot about it. Seeing this Kickstarter campaign blow up has got my juices flowing and wanting to support the cause. BUT. 100 bucks is pretty steep (well not that steep considering the size of the box and contents) but for someone who doesn't tabletop or miniature game often its an investment. I do have people I can play games with these days, so I know I can get some use out of it. BUT. I still want to know what the game is ABOUT and what kind of experience me and my group can expect.

The important questions are, how many players can the game support, and about how long does it take to play an entire typical game?
the adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #177
LordArach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
At what level do you get your own personal MIB to deliver the box and play Ogre with you? What about Phil? Steve? ;-)

Kerry
... and that's why this forum needs "like" buttons.

Praise "Bob"!
LordArach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #178
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
Hmm. I'm only a couple of hours away from Huntsville, actually...

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #179
D351

I just posted my copy of 4th Reich on ebay to help fund my Ogre contribution...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4th-Reich-Bo...item43aef31eed
I hope it does well... And if anyoe's crazy enough to pay the buy now, I'll get the shwag :D
D351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #180
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by the adventurer View Post
Okay. I've been a Steve Jackson Games fan for a lot of years now (okay, a little more then 10. But still) and I've always heard about ORGE. But don't know a lot about it. Seeing this Kickstarter campaign blow up has got my juices flowing and wanting to support the cause. BUT. 100 bucks is pretty steep (well not that steep considering the size of the box and contents) but for someone who doesn't tabletop or miniature game often its an investment. I do have people I can play games with these days, so I know I can get some use out of it. BUT. I still want to know what the game is ABOUT and what kind of experience me and my group can expect.

The important questions are, how many players can the game support, and about how long does it take to play an entire typical game?
Long time Ogre player, I'll give this a shot.

1) Depending on the scenario, you can have 2, 3, or even more players (IIRC, Excercise K (http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/miniatures/xrcisek.html) was designed for up to 12), but 2 (plus a possible referree) is going to be the most common.
2) Base Ogre is built around the same general concept - One Ogre vs. a bunch of Infantry and Armor protecting a Command Post in a mostly open battlefield. If the CP dies, the Ogre wins. It's not a simple as it sounds :) One game can take between 30-60 minutes, give or take, and also depending on the exact force mix.
3) More advanced games using the stuff introdued in G.E.V. adds various terrain and other rules to give a more realistic battle between two armed forces. Ogres can be a part of that, but more often than not aren't. Scenarios can range from the simple (player 1 tries to get his raiding force from one edge of the map to the other with as few casualties as possible, player 2 tries to prevent that) to the very complicated (strategic raids where one side doesn't know what the other is trying to accomplish). These can take anywhere from an hour to several hours, depending on the scenario.
4) Turns follow a standard format: Player moves, combat is resolved, player moves any surviving GEVs, next player. There's more to it, but that's the basics. Combat is fairly simple but works well: all units have attack and defense strength; compare the total attack vs. the target's defense to determine the odds (e.g., 4 vs. 2 is 2-1), roll 1d6 and consult the combat results table. Possible results are Kill, Disabled (if the unit survives until the end of your next turn it reactivates), or Miss.

For more background and a bunch of scenarios to investigate, check out the SJG Ogre pages and read the scenarios, the background on the Last War (all out global semi-nuclear war in the 2070's and 2080's), and an assortment of articles with some good background (including the Designer's Notes) and strategy/tactics.

It's fun in my opinion, but if you don't like tabletop wargamming, it may not be for you. You can always pledge something small now and buy it when it's released, or try to get a copy on Ebay first too, although that's nowhere near as cool as the new version :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote