Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #1
Fairn

Default Situation - Curse! Temporary Amnesia

Two nights ago, I was playing an epic game of Munchkin with my friends (4 of us in total) and a situation occurred involving the Curse card "Temporary Amnesia."

Let me set up the scene for you.

I was a lvl 1 Human Bard/Thief with a Wizard Hireling. I looked for trouble, laying down some lvl 15 monster and I buffed it up 10 more levels. My friends thought I was crazy, that is until I discarded my hand and said that I charmed the monster for his fat loot. Right then is when my good friend placed down a curse on me; "Curse! Temporary Amnesia."

Curse! Temporary Amnesia reads: "A bump on the head makes you forget your Class(es) and Race(s). // You will only remember them after killing, or helping to kill, a monster. Until then, you are a classless Human for all purposes."

Being the smooth person I am, I turn my classes sideways and tell him, "oh dear, it's a shame... that you wasted your curse! Looks like my hireling is the one charming the monster, not me." Then he started to argue that it should also curse my hireling and not just me. My other friends agreed with me, but since he was being a baby about it, we just agreed to decide the fate of my hireling with a die roll. He beat my roll, so my discarded cards were wasted and I had to try to run away. I failed, I died.

So I ask ye players and knowers of Munchkin, were my friends and I right, and should I have received the treasures from the monster? or was the one person correct and was my hand discarded for nothing?
Fairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #2
Progmode

Default Re: Situation - Curse! Temporary Amnesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairn
Two nights ago, I was playing an epic game of Munchkin with my friends (4 of us in total) and a situation occurred involving the Curse card "Temporary Amnesia."

Let me set up the scene for you.

I was a lvl 1 Human Bard/Thief with a Wizard Hireling. I looked for trouble, laying down some lvl 15 monster and I buffed it up 10 more levels. My friends thought I was crazy, that is until I discarded my hand and said that I charmed the monster for his fat loot. Right then is when my good friend placed down a curse on me; "Curse! Temporary Amnesia."
Right here is where you messed up. If your cards had already hit the discard pile, the monster was already charmed.

Quote:
Being the smooth person I am, I turn my classes sideways and tell him, "oh dear, it's a shame... that you wasted your curse! Looks like my hireling is the one charming the monster, not me." Then he started to argue that it should also curse my hireling and not just me. My other friends agreed with me, but since he was being a baby about it, we just agreed to decide the fate of my hireling with a die roll. He beat my roll, so my discarded cards were wasted and I had to try to run away. I failed, I died.
Unless the Wizard Hireling says he lets you use the wizard abilities (and I'm relatively sure he doesn't), then you can't have your hireling do this.

Quote:
So I ask ye players and knowers of Munchkin, were my friends and I right, and should I have received the treasures from the monster? or was the one person correct and was my hand discarded for nothing?
You should have gotten the treasure, but not for the reasons you think you should. As I said above, once your hand hits the discard pile, the ability is activated. If you lose your class after that, it doesn't undo your ability.
Progmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
Fairn

Ok, thanks much. And for this part of your answer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmode
Unless the Wizard Hireling says he lets you use the wizard abilities (and I'm relatively sure he doesn't), then you can't have your hireling do this.
The wizard hireling says you can use an item wizard specific, and you can use it's abilities (discard for runaway bonus and discard for charm). I'd post what the card says, but I'm at work right now and don't have the card with me.

Again, thanks, I'll print this off to rub it in my friends face (figuratively and literally).
Old 11-06-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Progmode

Quote:
Ok, thanks much. And for this part of your answer:

The wizard hireling says you can use an item wizard specific, and you can use it's abilities (discard for runaway bonus and discard for charm). I'd post what the card says, but I'm at work right now and don't have the card with me.

Again, thanks, I'll print this off to rub it in my friends face (figuratively and literally).
It's your lucky day. I actually do have my cards with me today at work (I'm going straight to a game tonight). So, at the risk of looking like a dork on my lunch hour, I found the card. :-p

Wizard Hireling says:
Quote:
Can carry and use any one item that is legal for a Wizard to use. Its bonuses or abilities count for you.
The "Its" in the second sentence refers to the item that you give to the hireling. So, whatever you give him, as long as it doesn't say Not Usable by Wizards, counts towards your effective level in combat or you can use the ability of the item as though you had it equipped. The hireling does not give you the ability to use the abilities on the Wizard class card.
Progmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
Fairn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Progmode
The "Its" in the second sentence refers to the item that you give to the hireling. So, whatever you give him, as long as it doesn't say Not Usable by Wizards, counts towards your effective level in combat or you can use the ability of the item as though you had it equipped. The hireling does not give you the ability to use the abilities on the Wizard class card.
Darn me and my English skills!

Luckily, after I died, I killed something low-leveled and acquired the casting couch and the shrinking powder (or whatever it is).

Thanks for all the help, I still plan for the rubbing-in-face to take place.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Fairn

Oh, really quick here, I just realized the argument my friend used against me wasn't really said to be proper or not.

(Technically, this question is still a part of the main question, but I apologize if it seems like I'm asking more than one question here)
So does the Curse Temporary Amnesia affect class-specific hirelings too, rendering the class-specific item they carry, for my use, useless?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
Mental_Myopia

Quote:
So does the Curse Temporary Amnesia affect class-specific hirelings too, rendering the class-specific item they carry, for my use, useless?
No. Curses don't apply to Hirelings. (Unless of course, the Curse says something like "discard your Hirelings," or "all Elves fight at -2" and you have the Elf Hireling.) It would be pretty silly to see a Cleric Hireling win the game with Divine Intervention! (Because that would be illegal, too!)
-------------------------------------
Mental_Myopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
Fairn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental_Myopia
No. Curses don't apply to Hirelings. (Unless of course, the Curse says something like "discard your Hirelings," or "all Elves fight at -2" and you have the Elf Hireling.) It would be pretty silly to see a Cleric Hireling win the game with Divine Intervention! (Because that would be illegal, too!)
Hah, good point. Thanks much, and that answers this entire situation.