Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-11-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
mummi

Default MQ and using regular munchkin.

I am new to MQ just ordered it yesterday and am waiting by the mail box as we speak. But I was wondering I own Munchkin Cthulhu with 2 addons can I use the door cards and treasure cards form my cardgame with MQ? I know it's not in the official rules, but has any one tried this?
mummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: MQ and using regular munchkin.

The cards are completely different sizes and the rules are significantly different in certain instances, such that using cards from the card games is simply not possible, nor is it suggested as a good idea.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
crimhead

I think this sort of thing has been tried before, but I'm not sure how satisfactorily.

One thing that's brilliant about Quest is that the door cards have been divided into a devoted monster deck and a DxM deck (deus ex munchkin). The monster deck has only monsters (and traps if using MQ2), while the enhancers curses, races, classes, and other non monster cards are in the DxM deck. So one think you can do while waiting is separate your door cards.

Classes in MQ each come with a D10 power - a special power which has a ten per cent chance per level of succeeding. You would have to invent D10 powers for the Cthulhu classes or concede that these classes won't get one.

You might also find the Cthulhu monsters need tweaking. In Quest some monsters roll one die in combat while others roll two. And there are several key words for monsters such as 'fearsome', 'undead', etc, and it's been so long since I've played the card version of munchkin that I can't remember whch of these were included nor how they are handled.

I hope you enjoy Quest as much as I do. Though I haven't checked these out myself, if you look through the member house rules sticky, the forums at BGG, or simply browse the forums here, you might find ideas other munchkins have had about incorporating the card game with the board game.

I also recommend downloading and reading the rules for Quest, as well as checking out the optional rules in the stickies here; extra uses for movement, and limited exploration. Read the card game vs board game sticky too.

All the best!

Edit - I have to agree with everything MunchkinMan said. And I think Quest is great all on its own (though the expansions are very cool). I suggest you play just Munchkin Quest at first, then if you are absolutely set on adding card game cards you'll in a better position to work out all the details.

Cheers.

Last edited by crimhead; 11-11-2010 at 04:59 AM.
crimhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Not only are the games not designed to be compatible, they are designed to be INcompatible. They are related but distinctly different games.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
mummi

Thans for the reply's some things are sorted after I downloaded the rules like crimhead. I doubt that I will try to combine the 2 games but it would have been nice if that where an option.
mummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummi View Post
Thans for the reply's some things are sorted after I downloaded the rules like crimhead. I doubt that I will try to combine the 2 games but it would have been nice if that where an option.
No, it wouldn't. Trust me, or just go play a few dozen games of Munchkin Quest. You'll see what I mean. There'd be no point to combining the two.

They're two different interpretations of the same experience. So wanting to merge them is not unlike saying, "I really liked the Lord of the Rings movies, but there should have been some way that watching the movies and reading the books were merged -- maybe each movie could've taken up only half the screen while the text from the book scrolled by on the other half?" An . . . interesting . . . idea, to be sure, but one destined to be far less enjoyable than simply watching the movies or simply reading the books.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
White Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
No, it wouldn't. Trust me, or just go play a few dozen games of Munchkin Quest. You'll see what I mean. There'd be no point to combining the two.

They're two different interpretations of the same experience. So wanting to merge them is not unlike saying, "I really liked the Lord of the Rings movies, but there should have been some way that watching the movies and reading the books were merged -- maybe each movie could've taken up only half the screen while the text from the book scrolled by on the other half?" An . . . interesting . . . idea, to be sure, but one destined to be far less enjoyable than simply watching the movies or simply reading the books.
Actually, although this may get me stoned in these forums, my friends and I have had a wonderful time combining the two sets together and have done so for the past couple of years. We overcame the annoying card-size difference by putting them in sleeves. But, in retrospect, we should have done this before as sleeving the cards really aided in sorting between the differing card types as game progressed and for putting the game away.

Concerning the creation of our house version, we found that there were a few holes in the rules that we filled in with house rules, removed a couple of rules, changed a couple of rules in the rule book, and filtered both decks of cards for cards that did not fit the new rules and which we did not like. Honestly, the hardest parts were dealing with overpowered wizards and gnomes, having too many available monster enhancers at any given time in peoples' hands (thus making the game take FOREVER), and changing the dynamic of monster movement to be more random (as opposed to predictable), but once that was taken care of, it was smooth sailing.

So, for all of you munckins out there, it is certainly possible. But, be warned, it takes quite a bit of time, effort, and patience between game testing, tweaking the rules, writing down the new rules, filtering cards, and buying the necessary materials. Having said that, the final product that we have with my group of friends is a truely terriffic game which has the simplicity, insanity, and variety of cards from the TCG with the depth of play and spatial advantages afforded by the board game. The game that was created generally takes 2 hours with 4-6 people and is very simple to learn and pick up and deep enough to keep one coming back for more Munchkin.

Have a good day! :)

Post Scriptum: We use nearly all of the original Munchkin base and expansions along with the MQ Base and expansion to play this. Included is: Munchkin 1-7, Fairy Dust, Munckin Dice, and MQ 1-2. We do not use (1) Epic Rules, (2) Munchkin Blender, or (3) other Munchkin TCG base or expansion sets. If one were to use these three things, that could complicate things futher.

Also be aware, that once the sets are combined, they are difficult to separate out again.

Last edited by White Avatar; 12-08-2010 at 10:57 AM.
White Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

So: It can be done, but requires a lot of work. Quite honestly: I don't need more work when it comes to my play time. I enjoy what tweaking and suggesting I get to do as a member of the Munchkin Brain Trust, but the last thing I want to do is buy a game and then spend hours re-designing it so I can make it do something it was intentionally designed not to do. I don't have that kind of free time to waste. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
White Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
So: It can be done, but requires a lot of work. Quite honestly: I don't need more work when it comes to my play time. I enjoy what tweaking and suggesting I get to do as a member of the Munchkin Brain Trust, but the last thing I want to do is buy a game and then spend hours re-designing it so I can make it do something it was intentionally designed not to do. I don't have that kind of free time to waste. . .
It did require alot of work (and around $40.00 for card sleeves and the acrylic boxes to hold them), but it was worth it. :)

Well put MunchkinMan. If you find yourself in a similar situation as him, do not attempt to do what we have done.
White Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:51 AM   #10
Morfeatire

hmm..could you post your house rules?
I'd like to try them out.
Morfeatire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
munchkin cthulhu, munchkin quest