Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #11
ColBosch

Default Re: My Painted Ogres

Very nicely done!
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
jfleisher

Those look great!

Maybe it’s time for a dedicated sub-forum for painted miniatures and terrain?

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:48 AM   #13
Izzy_B

Impressive and inspiring. Hoping to start my own painting efforts soon.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:57 AM   #14
Knockman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat View Post
Yes that would make a nice model, I've never been able to a lozenge pattern well.... its really...hard.
I know, I'm dreading it! :-)

Being honest, I may well try out an old trick with tiny pieces of masking tape over a primer colour, paint on a second colour lozenge pattern freehand, then remove some (half?) of the masking patches to do a third colour, then remove the rest and paint in a fourth colour. Fiddly, but the best method I can think of.

E-mail Contact: tiffingames@gmail.com

BGG Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee...ponsored-count

Update: 8th June 2018 - officially formatted S&TO Rules Version 3 now available on this website.
Knockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:57 PM   #15
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockman View Post
I know, I'm dreading it! :-)
Never be afraid! It's just dye suspended in a medium. :D

I painted as a kid, but stopped for almost twenty years. I got back into it just a couple of years ago, doing BattleTech miniatures, but I was very slow, and stopped after a bit. I just started painting again last November, when Ogre Miniatures Set 1 arrived, and so far I've done 16 Ogres, about 200 conventional units, and just oodles of infantry. Once you find a rhythm, it's easy to knock out a platoon or more of tanks over a weekend, but you've got to get started.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #16
redcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Never be afraid! It's just dye suspended in a medium. :D
I don't know what the clinical name for fear of a dye suspended in medium would be, but I bet it can be induced by trying to paint German lozenge camo.

lozengeophopia?

Actually the method I am thinking of would involve using a mk III because it has more flat surface to work with then the Mk V. I think I might try a night pattern with a base of dark blue. Then i might try using a foam rubber tip or a very small piece of sponge to start applying the repeating colors in a purple and light blue. I think at 6mm scale the shape of the color blobs isn't that important unless you really get up close.

It might be amusing to try it on a ninja too. The Ogre AI is thinking - ha, they'll never see me now...

If I can get over my fears I will post the results
redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #17
RedLeif508

Very nice paint jobs. Thank you for sharing them.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #18
Cat

Very nice looking!

Painted Ogres fight better ^,^
Old 06-29-2018, 10:41 AM   #19
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat View Post
I don't know what the clinical name for fear of a dye suspended in medium would be, but I bet it can be induced by trying to paint German lozenge camo.

lozengeophopia?

....I think at 6mm scale the shape of the color blobs isn't that important unless you really get up close.
I have painted lots of lozenge camo on 1/285 WWI aircraft (and some of my X-Wing fighters). You are correct, shape of the colours does not matter, even looking at them close up.

Spray paint a base coat of the lightest colour in the pattern. Then it's a simple matter of using a fine brush and start adding dots! I do one colour at a time. I bring up an image of the pattern fabric pattern on my laptop for reference, and just go down each row adding a dot at the approximate spacing. Then on to the next colour. Once the dots are on by doing the rows of dots (and leaving blank spots for the base colour dots), then I go back and add dots of whatever colour works best to fill in areas that need a little touch up for balance. Touch-up dots are not in pattern, they are just whatever colour isn't adjacent to other dots in that spot.

But the proper WW1 camo for an Ogre would be battleship dazzle!

And 'pastiliphobia' is the word you're looking for. ^,^

Last edited by Cat; 06-29-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #20
sparky00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Very nice looking!

Painted Ogres fight better ^,^
I dunno...

Many years ago, I used to play a huge Civil War game with 15mm minis.

One of our group was a commercial artist, & he used to take units and give them the most incredible, intricate paint jobs. Detailed, historically accurate, just beautiful...

Those were the biggest bullet magnets i ever played with! Nobody wanted to get the "nicely painted" units assigned to them - they always died first.

The cavalry mini with the chipped paint & broken sword, as well as the 1-wheeled cannon would last the entire game. The nicely painted guys would get blown away before they even deployed into formation. Every time!

I'm hoping it is different with Ogre. I've wanted to play Ogre with minis since they first came out around 1980, but only recently have gotten enough to make that possible. I've started painting again for the first time in 25+ years, and am loving it (although the limited time have available makes the process agonizingly slow).

I just hope that:

1: i can paint them well enough to look good
2: The painted ones really do play well!
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote