Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
korbeau

Default Re: [Banestorm] The Ministry of Serendipity

I don't think the Tracker need that much illusion spell. Don't forget that the Tracker didn't need any of them to cast Illusion Disguise for the prerequisite is inside the magical style. (see Magical Style).
korbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by korbeau View Post
I don't think the Tracker need that much illusion spell. Don't forget that the Tracker didn't need any of them to cast Illusion Disguise for the prerequisite is inside the magical style. (see Magical Style).
I'm not talking about prerequisites, I'm talking about the fact that the Illusion Disguise spell does not create an illusion - you have to do that with a different spell. Read the spell description.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:00 PM   #13
korbeau

Oh... I see..

What about that change:

Tracker: Add at First Degree the spell Simple illusion
Cleaner: Add at Third Degree the spell Permanent Forgetfulness

It could be possible to learn a better illusion spell but as I said earlier, I don't think the Tracker should be a great illusionist. It could but the Ministry focus on the basic illusion. The main task is about tracking.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
Gold & Appel Inc

Simple Illusions are dispelled by attacks and the touch of any sapient being, so the things the wizard could do while disguised would be sharply limited, particularly in regions where some form of touching is customary during greetings, but if that fits your vision for how they operate go for it.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:22 AM   #15
Michael Cule

Supervising agents will need Hidden Lore: Other Worlds or Hidden Lore: Earth to judge the nature of and threat value of incoming Banestorm refugees. You should probably have some idea of the structure of the Ministry even if it is going to be obscure to the PCs and also the levels of Security Clearance needed to access secret material.
Michael Cule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #16
korbeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cule View Post
Supervising agents will need Hidden Lore: Other Worlds or Hidden Lore: Earth
I already give them Hidden Lore: Earth, as explain in Banestorm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banestorm p. 205
Most also have Hidden Lore (Earth), although very few have more than one point in this; the Ministry sees little need for agents to possess more than basic background knowledge.
For now, I just post what I think should be the basic for the agents. But you're right about having a global idea of the organisation. Actually, I need the magical style and a good lenses for them. If I have good response with this post, I'll put more worka about the Ministry here :)
Old 07-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #17
hal

If you really wanted to have some fun???

What keeps the Ministry from trying to find a gateway to Terra? What if they finally succeeded?
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #18
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
If you really wanted to have some fun???

What keeps the Ministry from trying to find a gateway to Terra? ?
The -25 to use of all Gate Spells and similar magic due to the "Quantum Sargasso" effects is what. Change that and you can just Banish all Banestormees back to where they came from and your life gets a lot simpler.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:25 AM   #19
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
What keeps the Ministry from trying to find a gateway to Terra? What if they finally succeeded?
Ignoring the Sargasso effect for the sake of speculation: They try to seal it? Unless some half-mad mavericks (eg: the PCs) want to personally explore the other side for research (ie: RPG campaign) purposes, of course, but they already know the highpoints from systematically debriefing every newcomer they can for years and years, so why enter that incomprehensible hellscape if they don't have to? Taking over wouldn't do them any good ("Your new overlords command you to stop sending Banestorm victims!"), and even if they found a way and the will to genocide everybody over here, they'd still have Olokun, Gabrook, and Lorendil to deal with. Not to mention the minor inconsistencies the Ministry has noticed in newcomer accounts, leading them to believe that they may be a dumping ground for multiple versions of one or more of the above.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 07-15-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:54 AM   #20
hal

I was thinking more in terms of cherry picking people to kidnap, knowledge that HASN'T slipped across the dimensional barrier, etc. More access to forbidden knowledge, etc.

Something as simple as genetically modified crops might or might not be worth stealing - even the ability to steal normal non-modified crops that undergone selection over the years would be superior to normal grains.

As for the Sargasso effect, I hadn't noted that in my reading of the rules, which is my fault. <shrug>
hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm