Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2018, 01:08 AM   #1
scc

Default [Magic] What Elements Should There Be?

One of the project I have on the back burner is a re-write of Magic, among other things part of the goal is to reduce the spell count down, part of this involves the creation of a new trans-elemental 'college' as a container for spells that have version for each element (Jet, Missile, Body Of, X to Y, Summon Elemental, etc.), each of these spells has a single master entry and there will be reference telling you what elements work with what spells and the effects are where it isn't obvious.

Part of this is the damage listing, which lists what elements can be used with Jet and Missile, which do damage. Format is element name, college(s) in brackets for when the Mage is limited by college, and damage done per energy invested into the spell. Please note that what I'm working on is designed to be extremely flexible, so a GM could decide that Air Jet and Fire Jet are different spells learnt separately, or Air and Fire could be Techniques that can be used with any spell in this 'college', or anything the GM decides to go with. Elements with an asterisk after their name do Large-Area Injury.

Please note that is based off of Magic, with some tweaks.

Air* (Air): 1d cutting.
Sand* (Earth): Target must make HT roll, if he fails blinded for number of turns equal to energy in spell. After that he can see again, but is at -3 penalty to combat skills for a further 1d seconds. Critical failure blinds subject for 1d seconds per energy point. Success means the subject closes his eyes for the duration of the spell.
Fire* (Fire): 1d burning damage.
Light (Light and Darkness): 1d-1 burning damage. Note that this qualifies as tight beam.
Leaves* (Plant): 1d cutting.
Sonic* (Sound): Target must make HT-energy roll or be stunned. DR provides and +1 to effective HT for every five full points. Every turn a stunned character must make the HT-energy roll again until it is successful to recover.
Radiation* (Technology): 1d tox rad.
Plastic (Technology): 1d imp.
Metal (Technology): 1d piercing, decide between pi-, pi, pi+, and pi++ when casting.
Water (Water): 2d knockback, convert damage rolled directly into injury for the purpose of determining knockback.
Ice (Water): 1d+1 crushing damage.
Acid* (Water): 1d-1 corrosive damage.
Lightning (Air or Weather): 1d-1 burning surge.

Can anyone one think of a potential element that I've left out here that could add something to this listing of attack spells? I know I haven't got all the ones from Magic but the missing ones don't offer any additional options. Please not that this isn't a complete list of what I plan on putting in, additional elements for things like Body Of and Transform include ones such as Flesh, Stone, Plant, and Slime.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:45 AM   #2
DakkaBoyzRool

Default Re: [Magic] What Elements Should There Be?

I could probably think of a few different elements, but I don't really use Magic a whole lot so I wouldn't know reasonable effects for these in-game and if they've already been done or not. It also depends on what you define as an "Element"; nevertheless, there's a a few here that might fit:

Void* (Sound): 1d+2 corrosive damage.
Dust* (Earth): Target must make HT roll, if he fails coughs and sneezes for number of turns equal to energy in spell.
Stone (Earth): 1d+1 crushing damage.
Rain* (Water or Weather): 1d-2 cutting damage.
Hail* (Water or Weather): 1d-1 crushing damage.
Vines (Plant): 1d-2 crushing damage, also binds as Capturing Vines spell.
Time* (Gate): Target must make three separate Aging rolls at HT-2.
Steam (Water or Air): 1d-1 burning damage.
Poison* (Water or Plant): 1d toxic damage.
Aether* (Air or Sound): 1d-1 crushing damage.
Heat* (Fire or Weather): 1d-1 burning damage and 1d-2 FP damage.
Cold* (Fire or Weather): 1d-2 burning damage and 1d-1 FP damage.
DakkaBoyzRool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
David Johnston2

I actually added a zap spell to Meta, on the theory that magic was itself a form of energy and thus could be used directly to do damage.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Radiation* (Technology): 1d tox rad.
You might want to note how many rads it does.

Quote:
Can anyone one think of a potential element that I've left out here that could add something to this listing of attack spells? I know I haven't got all the ones from Magic but the missing ones don't offer any additional options. Please not that this isn't a complete list of what I plan on putting in, additional elements for things like Body Of and Transform include ones such as Flesh, Stone, Plant, and Slime.
I do not want to see the Flesh Missile. Do. Not. Want.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post

Rocket Fist!

Well it's preferable to Jet of Blood.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #6
scc

@DakkaBoyzRool with the exception of your time, cold and heat ones, none of these offer real choices to players.

@David Johnston2, interesting, would have to make it ignore DR so that it's different from Fire and Light, probably call it Mana Burn.

Quote:
Oops, works as per the Radiation enhancement(B105), does rads instead of damage.

Quote:
Ah, no. This covers more then just attack spells, and any one without a damage assigned to it can NOT be used with Missile, Jet, and any other damage based spells. Flesh is there for Flesh to Stone and Stone to Flesh, but a Body of Flesh option for races with non-flesh bodies is a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Rocket Fist!
You know rubberman sounds like a good expansion for Partial Shapeshifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Well it's preferable to Jet of Blood.
D&D 3.5e has a web expansion that adds Blood Elementals, so there is precedence.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post

D&D 3.5e has a web expansion that adds Blood Elementals, so there is precedence.
Weaponized blood isn't terribly uncommon in anime. You can look under "organic attacks" in the Superpowers Wiki for examples.