Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-10-2023, 09:14 AM   #1
corwyn

Default Dragons of Rosgarth

I'm just winding down my run of Forest's End and was wondering if there is anything to directly tie them together or foreshadow Rosgarth besides them being in the same region. I ran Tomb of the Dragon King interspersed with FE as well.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 01:25 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Dragons of Rosgarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
I'm just winding down my run of Forest's End and was wondering if there is anything to directly tie them together or foreshadow Rosgarth besides them being in the same region. I ran Tomb of the Dragon King interspersed with FE as well.
There's nothing directly there, but that's by design. If one always has to be a sequel to the other and it's written right in, it limits the utility of the adventure.

That being said, a glance through Rosgarth should reveal PLENTY of signs and portents that can be used to telegraph the rising trouble at the old ruins.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 01:28 PM   #3
Dalin

When I ran Forest's End, I included a fair amount of foreshadowing. There were dinosaur sitings in the forest, and I pulled a few other random encounters from Dragons. I recall, in particular, a scene where they encountered the flaming skulls proclaiming the rise of the queen.

I also included a few scenes where they heard rumors of activity further north.

The irzhajötunn traveled secretly along the river past Skógurenda. (I think the rivers in the two adventures have different names, but they are the same river on the bigger maps.) I forget the details, but I think the adventure suggests somewhere that they travel up and down the river bringing supplies and whatnot. This would be an easy connection. Maybe Lusinda Blackbow (if she survives) has noticed signs of traffic on the river and wants the PCs to investigate.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 02:23 PM   #4
Dalin

I reread the player notes from the episode where my party encountered the irzhajötunn on the river. I forgot that my group was on their way to Skógurenda (going down the river) at the time so this was very early foreshadowing. Key bits:
  • I used emblems (from the adventure, I think) to give the group clues about where the various factions (and provide a great use for the heraldry skill). Like the "green fist on a field of red" for the irzhajötunn from Moreval and the "black rune on a field of azure" for the Inthriki Wuyaren.
  • The irzhajötunn pretended to be explorers on their way south from a fruitless expedition up the river. (This was an opportunity for clever PCs to realize that they were hiding the truth.)
  • They were wearing matching torques (I vaguely recall that these had something to do with the dragon cult)
  • They asked the party questions about defenses on the far side of the wall.
  • Left the party north of Skógurenda at night. Didn't seem interested in visiting the city.

This played out as a roleplaying encounter, though there were a few tense moments. Both sides didn't think that they could take down the other without significant casualties. Could also be played as a fun combat encounter, especially at night with the wuyaran shadow step ability.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:11 PM   #5
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
  • I used emblems (from the adventure, I think) to give the group clues about where the various factions (and provide a great use for the heraldry skill). Like the "green fist on a field of red" for the irzhajötunn from Moreval and the "black rune on a field of azure" for the Inthriki Wuyaren.
Out of curiousity, which rune, as there are several (or is it a unique rune that isn't part of a known language, or something like that)?

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 02:47 PM   #6
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Out of curiousity, which rune, as there are several (or is it a unique rune that isn't part of a known language, or something like that)?
I was wondering the same thing at the time. The adventure didn't specify and my players didn't ask. Phew!

Giving it a bit more thought now, though, and I think "rune" should be interpreted loosely as a symbol or character. The nation in question, Inthriki, is inspired by Japan, so I would picture a bit of calligraphy. Perhaps a character meaning "shadow," since the Wuyaran are known as "shadowblades."