Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
Tinman

Default [DF] [Magic] Enchantment & Spells

If I have armor with the enchantments Fortify+1 (+1DR) & Deflect+1 (+1DB) (Magic p.66-67) But I also have the spells Armor+1 (+1DR) & Shield+1 (+1DB) do they stack? (Magic p.167)
Thanks.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: [DF] [Magic] Enchantment & Spells

In DFRPG, magical DB bonuses do not stack (see Exploits 47), but as far as I can tell DR bonuses do. In vanilla GURPS, the situation is unclear.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
In DFRPG, magical DB bonuses do not stack (see Exploits 47), but as far as I can tell DR bonuses do. In vanilla GURPS, the situation is unclear.
I find it surprising that this hasn't come up in the past. If no one else knows, I guess I'll have to go with the DFRPG answer.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
If I have armor with the enchantments Fortify+1 (+1DR) & Deflect+1 (+1DB) (Magic p.66-67) But I also have the spells Armor+1 (+1DR) & Shield+1 (+1DB) do they stack? (Magic p.167)
Thanks.
I'd let both of these combinations stack. My reasoning is that Armor and Shield specifically says they're cumulative with DR or DB from regular armor and shields, while Fortify and Deflect specify that they increases the the stat provided by a piece of gear. Basically, Armor/Shield is enhancing the person, while Fortify/Deflect enhances their equipment.

Though, I have to say, the amount of DB available from spells, especially when you combo Shield and Deflect, worries me. While I think it's within the RAW to stack them, I'd suggest going with the DFRPG option here, or to cap the maximum DB you can get from any source. I'd suggest capping that at +5, personally, which is already 2 higher than you can get from any mundane shield.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
I'd let both of these combinations stack. My reasoning is that Armor and Shield specifically says they're cumulative with DR or DB from regular armor and shields, while Fortify and Deflect specify that they increases the the stat provided by a piece of gear. Basically, Armor/Shield is enhancing the person, while Fortify/Deflect enhances their equipment.
Agreed, but I've always doubled the cost to enchant Armor or Clothing and tripled it for Jewelry.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Thanks.
Based on the following quote:

"DR from this spell is treated for all purposes like DR from armor, and is cumulative with that from actual armor."

The answer is "Yes, they do stack". Note that the one is an enchantment, the other is a spell, and casting a spell onto an enchanted item is one thing, but casting a spell upon a person who happens to be wearing armor (be it enchanted or not) is the operative phrase here.

So, yes, you can combine them.

Now, anytime you run into a situation that doesn't make sense, you can always go looking to see how GURPS CLASSIC MAGIC handles the same issue. As it turns out, the two versions (4e and Classic 3e are largely the same).

The only other reference I can find in GURPS CLASSIC MAGIC that "MAY" in your eyes reflect on the question you posed is on page 11 under "Limits on Protection". Problem is? As I read it, it seems to only refer to what happens if you have someone cast say, Armor 2 on a character, and someone else casts armor 3 on the same person, those two don't stack, but that the higher level of the casting of that protective spell is operative.

But that's my read on it, and I wouldn't bother to double the energy cost or anything like that (although, as a house rule, I wouldn't argue against the GM for implementing it simply because what works for the goose, works for the gander so to speak.)

In the end, the reason I wouldn't worry about it much?

The player character paid good gold to get his enchanted item. Casting a 5 point Armor spell on behalf of someone costs the mage roughly 10 fatigue (for skill level 14 or less) or 9 fatigue for a skill 15 or less. To top it off, it then costs a total of half that to maintain per minute. Player characters will RARELY have sufficient energy at hand to be able to pull that off for any real long duration.

That's entirely up to you however. I realize that you're asking for the collective wisdom, but in the end, if you're the GM, talk it over with your players. Look at how much magical energy your player characters generally have on hand at any give time and ask yourself "is this really going to be a problem?" Sometimes, the best thing to do is discuss it with your players and see how they suggest handling it. ;)
hal is offline   Reply With Quote