Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
smurf
Banned

Default Telepathy - LOS?

RAW state that to use Telepathy you need Line of Sight.

Therefore am I right to suggest the outcomes of these scenarios:

Target quickly shuts door (they are not visible) - no TP.

Target is wearing a full face visor (Bike helmet, wielder's mask, or full face helm) - no TP

Target is behind double mirrors or blacked out glass - no TP

Target is in a battle suit - no TP

Telepath is blindfolded - no TP

Target can be seen via a mirror or camera - yes TP

Target is picked up via Seeker Sense - yes TP

The alternative could be penalties for full facial coverings, or hiding behind a barrier. However, behind a door the target could move away.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Telepathy - LOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
First off, which Telepathy are you referring to? Is this the Telepathy power, from Psionic Powers? If so, note that Telesend, the psionic ability, actually isn't limited to line-of-sight. That said, for the questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf

These are correct, yes. If you can't see a person because of a barrier, you don't have line of sight. Whether they can see you or not doesn't matter.

Quote:
I would call these partially correct - they're examples, I'd say, of the "you know their exact hex" condition - you can't actually see them, precisely (seeing their reflection or displayed image isn't seeing them), but you know their location, so you can try, at -5.

Quote:
Target is wearing a full face visor (Bike helmet, wielder's mask, or full face helm) - no TP
I would say neither of these is correct. There's no note in there saying clothing blocks line of sight, and nothing about having to see their face, eyes, or head. If I can see someone's foot under the bathroom stall barrier, I can work telepathic powers on them.

Admittedly, there's probably some point where a "battlesuit" shades into a "giant robot" and starts blocking line of sight on someone inside it. But the battlesuits in Ultra-Tech, I'd say, don't count for that. I'd let you use TP on a user in any of them.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
smurf
Banned

RAW states b91:

If you cannot see you or sense your subject there is an additional -1 (loved ones and family), -3 (close friends) and -5 (someone met briefly).

The last modifier is important. If the telepath has not met someone they cannot use their ability.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #4
weby

Quote:
RAW states b91:

If you cannot see you or sense your subject there is an additional -1 (loved ones and family), -3 (close friends) and -5 (someone met briefly).

The last modifier is important. If the telepath has not met someone they cannot use their ability.
if you are talking about telend then:
Target quickly shuts door (they are not visible): -5 in the future, though immediately after the closing I would allow a hearing roll to sense them though normal doors and thus no penalty.
Target is wearing a full face visor (Bike helmet, wielder's mask, or full face helm) full use at no penalty, you can definitely sense them.
Target is behind double mirrors or blacked out glass: unless you have met them before or can sense them in some other way, then no.
Target is in a battle suit - you can definitely sense them so on penalty.
Telepath is blindfolded - requires some other sense(touch orhearing most common) to use, unless you have met them before.
Target can be seen via a mirror or camera - yes, you are sensing them.
Target is picked up via Seeker Sense - yes you are sensing them.

There is no single "telepathy" the different powers work differently.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:07 PM   #5
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Not according to Psionics or Telepathy (p. B255-B257) which don't mention Line of Sight. Telesend (possibly with the Telepathic Limitation) (p. B91) doesn't demand Line of Sight either. It requires that you be able to see or otherwise sense your subject.

Quote:

If you can't otherwise sense them, yes, you're correct.

Quote:
You are not required to make eye contact, only to be able to see him. As such, it's no different than him wearing clothes over his body. By RAW, you don't actually have to be able to identify him as him, only see or sense him.

Quote:
Assuming you have no other way of sensing him, correct.

Quote:
This is a little iffier. You could consider the battlesuit to be a windowless vehicle, in which case you wouldn't necessarily recognize his presence. OTOH, you could treat it as clothes, like the full face helm. If the battlesuit is moving, you know someone is in there and you can make whoever's in there your subject. As well, if battlesuits have distinctive personal markings, I'd be much more inclined to treat them as just another set of clothes.

Quote:
Again, provided you have no other way of sensing your subject.

Quote:
Maybe. Depending on the mirror's location, he may not actually be in sight, though his reflection is. If you're holding the camera yourself, so he's got to be in your presence, yes. If you can sense him not using sight, yes. If the camera is some newsman's camera doing a remote broadcast, maybe but long distance modifiers apply (and pray it's not a delayed broadcast).

Quote:
Correct.

Quote:
The alternative could be penalties for full facial coverings, or hiding behind a barrier. However, behind a door the target could move away.
Quote:
RAW states b91:

The last modifier is important only if the subject isn't in your presence. If you can see him, it doesn't matter that you haven't met him. He's still a valid subject.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote