Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:13 PM   #1
Mack_JB

Default "The Thin Line" (Scenario Book 1)

So we had our Monday Ogre game today, and played 'The Thin Line' twice. Our normal process is to flip sides between games, and play each scenario twice, but this time, my opponent took 'attacker' both times as just before the second game he had a different idea for set up. In some ways it doesn't matter, because we happily point out moves or strategies either could make during the game.

Two weeks ago when we last met, we played this same scenario three times, flipping sides between the two of us.

So far, we've managed to fight each other to a draw three times, a defender partial victory once, and a complete defender victory once. We've messed with force mixture, attack and defense styles, and various other tweaks. Each time each side slowly gets better in knowing what to do.

Today we had a pretty amazing streak of dice rolling between us -- we both seemed to be getting either ones or sixes, which makes a world of difference in this scenario.

I have to say, so far, this is our favorite scenario yet. Each game has been a nail-biter right down to the last turn.

But we have an edge case question for the peanut gallery. If the defender chooses nothing but SHVY for his reinforcements, how would that work during the die roll at the start of his proper turns? The rules state on a roll of 1, no reinforcements, 2-5 you get one unit, and 6 you get two. Since a SHVY counts as two units ... do you have to roll a 6 to get the unit on the board?

[nostalgia note: for whatever reason, during the game I kept thinking of the tune "The Thin Wall" by Ultravox, 1982]

Last edited by Mack_JB; 04-23-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
cedric18

Default Re: "The Thin Line" (Scenario Book 1)

Thanks for the feedback. I had fun coming up with that original idea back in the day. If I remember correctly, SJG added the reinforcement rules, but it has been quite a while. My preference; for whatever it is worth; is to bank the first roll of 2-5 and once you roll a second 2-5, take the reinforcement. If you roll a 6, take the reinforcement immediately.
cedric18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:22 AM   #3
Leonidas
Banned

It seems I need to buy all the three scenario books, then.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
But we have an edge case question for the peanut gallery. If the defender chooses nothing but SHVY for his reinforcements, how would that work during the die roll at the start of his proper turns? The rules state on a roll of 1, no reinforcements, 2-5 you get one unit, and 6 you get two. Since a SHVY counts as two units ... do you have to roll a 6 to get the unit on the board?
Yes. The original version of the OSB1 used points (roll 2-5 = 6 points, roll 6 = 12 points). In order to get a 2AU (12 point) unit, you need a roll of 6. There are no provisions for "banking" your roll to save up and buy bigger units (although that might be an interesting house rule). You could further extend that to use the "more expensive" SHVY that takes partial damage (see 13.07 for the 3AU SHVY). Since there's no way to get it normally, "banking" roll results would be the only way to allow it.

By the way, this works the other way, too. a roll of 2-5 would allow you to get two LTs, LGEVs, etc since they are only .5AU units.