Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 08-21-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Lexx
Banned

Default Anniversaries?

In was wondering what exact day SJG was founded?

Also what exact day was GURPS first released?

Just curious. BTW if Steve would post his birthdate we could all wish him a happy birthday every year.
Lexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.
Default Re: Anniversaries?

Agreed.

These are dates many of us SJG fan-geeks could celebrate as personal holidays.

"Sorry I can't come to work today, it's Evil Stevies Birthday. Yes, it IS a religious holiday for me!"
Old 08-21-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
Lexx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361
Agreed.

These are dates many of us SJG fan-geeks could celebrate as personal holidays.

"Sorry I can't come to work today, it's Evil Stevies Birthday. Yes, it IS a religious holiday for me!"
No need for sarcasm, I was just curious, especially as this year marks the 30th anniversary of D&D and TSR, along with gaming in general.

BTW, I do not use the term geek to describe myself.
Lexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 07:42 PM   #4
Six_Gun_Sam

I don't think the MIB had intended any sarcasm.
It sounded a bit jolly to me.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:42 AM   #5
LKW
GURPS Traveller Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexx
No need for sarcasm, I was just curious, especially as this year marks the 30th anniversary of D&D and TSR, along with gaming in general.
Gaming in general predated the establishment of TSR by many years. Unless you mean role playing gaming specifically. For example, this years marks the 31st anniversary of my first professional game design credit (Eagles for GDW, Inc.) and I am a mere stripling compared to some folks.

Loren Wiseman
LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:42 AM   #6
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKW
Gaming in general predated the establishment of TSR by many years. Unless you mean role playing gaming specifically. For example, this years marks the 31st anniversary of my first professional game design credit (Eagles for GDW, Inc.) and I am a mere stripling compared to some folks.
And as for role-playing, my father apparently did that back in 1929. I put it no stronger than that, because he never told me about it. But after his death I found two cigar boxes full of notes for a game he and a couple of friends evidently played back then. I'm vague about the details, but apparently they pretended to have received seats in the British House of Lords and ran some sort of social, political and diplomatic game. The cigar boxes are full of family trees, proposals for laws, letters, etc. All very intriguing and I feel a great deal of regret that my father never talked about it. He knew all about my role-playing activities and you'd suppose he would've been reminded of his old game, but evidently not.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote