Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #41
Anthony

Default Re: Would a 9 lb sapient spider producing 1/10 lb of silk a day suspend your disbelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
So similar to being scared of a daddy long legs or mosquito hawk, and less sensible than being scared of a gopher snake, which at least can deliver a bite, though it's not poisonous or particularly inclined to bite.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #42
Bruno

Default Re: Would a 9 lb sapient spider producing 1/10 lb of silk a day suspend your disbelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
So similar to being scared of a daddy long legs or mosquito hawk, and less sensible than being scared of a gopher snake, which at least can deliver a bite, though it's not poisonous or particularly inclined to bite.
Yep, we have both the long legs and the crane flies (known to some people as pterodactyl skeeters), and they tend to weird the same people out. It seems to be the legs.

We don't have gopher snakes, but we do have some sort of (non poisonous) black water snake, and of course garter snakes, both of which have little tiny teeth but will nip if harassed. And unfortunately both seem to drive seemingly-sensible people into "Kill the snake" hysterics.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #43
blacksmith

I have one point here, what is the genre? Hard biopunk? No way would I buy this, too energy intensive. Fantasy, well it is much less unlikely that creatures of living fire or some such.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #44
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
It's creepy, crawly, and disgusting.
You think so? I think they are kind of cute. I let them crawl on my hands, which bothers my wife. She's grossed out by them.

EDIT- I'm referring to the house centipede, not the desert centipede.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #45
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
I seem to recall that coconut crabs can get to be pretty freaking huge too.
Put de lime in de coconut and drinkum bowl up!

http://dailystupid.net/wp-content/up...ats-humans.jpg

I can haz trash!
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #46
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
Well it could have a better respiratory system and still say visually spider to people. They don't have anything like the nervous system needed to sentience either so why doesn't that bug you?
I did comment 'whatever they use for a brain' to contrast the lack of such in real spiders. Brain tissue, at least in mammals, is metabolically expensive, so if the sapient spider-like entity used something similar, that would be an added oxygen cost atop the added cost of the larger body.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #47
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

It should be noted the larger arachnids are all (IIRC) hunting spiders not web layers.

But that being said "That scream in the dark is either some who just discovered a large harry spider crawling up their leg, or just discovery they are crawling up the leg of a larger hairy spider." (now i wish i remember where i heard that)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:35 AM   #48
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
I did comment 'whatever they use for a brain' to contrast the lack of such in real spiders. Brain tissue, at least in mammals, is metabolically expensive, so if the sapient spider-like entity used something similar, that would be an added oxygen cost atop the added cost of the larger body.
Make them telepathic hive minds, call it say 10 spiders per IQ point, so a brood of 100 9 lbs spiders has IQ 10.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 AM   #49
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Brain tissue, at least in mammals, is metabolically expensive.
In non-mammals too. And given that arachnids have the metabolic rates of exotherms, a sapient brain would have several times the metabolic cost of everything else put together.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:38 AM   #50
Apache
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Put de lime in de coconut and drinkum bowl up!

http://dailystupid.net/wp-content/up...ats-humans.jpg

I can haz trash!
*grabs a flamethrower and a 10-lb bowl of butter*