Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
Kriegmob

Default Levels higher than 10

This is not an epic munchkin question.

If I draw a card that grants a level, and I am sitting at L 9, do I disregard the card, or do I become L10....and win at L11?

I'm assuming you just disregard, but am thinking the other option seems fun.
Kriegmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Levels higher than 10

The rules say you can't get to Level 10 without killing a Monster, and that's a hard rule. So, unless you're playing epic, the winning Level doesn't change, and you can't go up to Level 10 with a GUAL or by selling Items. As for disregarding: It depends on the card. If it says it must be played immediately when drawn, and that it overrides the rule about having to kill a Monster, then you can use it go up to Level 10. However, most of the cards that let you go up a level (like the ones that have a witty title and basically just say Go Up A Level on the bottom, called GUAL cards) aren't automatic and don't say they intentionally break that rule, so you can't play them, but they still go into your hand. GUAL cards are not like Curses, which are expected to affect you immediately if drawn when kicking open the door. They must be intentionally played by a player.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 12-04-2013 at 08:45 AM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Kriegmob

Thanks! That's what I thought, but figured I'd ask anyway.
Kriegmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
The rules say you can't get to Level 10 without killing a Monster, and that's a hard rule. So, unless you're playing epic, the winning Level doesn't change, and you can't go up to Level 10 with a GUAL or by selling Items. As for disregarding: It depends on the card. If it says it must be played immediately when drawn, and that it overrides the rule about having to kill a Monster, then you can use it go up to Level 10. However, most of the cards that let you go up a level (like the ones that have a witty title and basically just say Go Up A Level on the bottom, called GUAL cards) aren't automatic and don't say they intentionally break that rule, so you can't play them, but they still go into your hand. GUAL cards are not like Curses, which are expected to affect you immediately if drawn when kicking open the door. They must be intentionally played by a player.
Mind you, and it's been a while since I played Munchkin and have not gotten every set yet, the only card I remember that gives you a level and must be played immediately is Divine Intervention, and it is explicit in that it allows you to get the winning level with it.
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

In the 101 forum, please don't follow up a post from MunchkinMan or myself unless you see an actual error or you think our answer is unclear. "Incomplete" is not "unclear"; we may have had a good reason to gloss over some subtleties.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote