Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 12-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
momothefiddler

Default Re: [OCC] Poll : What makes a good PbP game? (will be applied)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Genre: Fantasy, DF, Science Fiction, Supers, Space Opera and others. Which make you say "I've got to play this", and which do you particularly avoid?
I tend to prefer Fantasy or Science Fiction (fantasy with bolts on), but I'm not against other genres. As a sidenote, post-apocalyptic is more a setting than a genre but it makes some otherwise mediocre genres appeal to me.
Quote:
Activities Planned: Do you prefer solving puzzles? or is it combat that enthuses you? How important is character development? Is negotiation an enjoyable part of play?
Puzzles make me happy. Combat can be great, especially if it serves some purpose in the narrative. Character development is vital. Social interactions are the hardest part. In an RPG, the player's ability to throw a knife has no bearing on the character's ability to do so, good or bad, but because conversations get played out, a lot of social stuff depends on the player's stats instead of the character's. I've had some bad experiences here and thus tend to shy away from heavily-social games (especially political machination games) but I'm aware it can be done well.
Quote:
Supplement materials: Which sets of rules make or break a PbP game for you? This includes Cinematic vs Realistic, G:Magic, Thuamology, Supers, Psionic Powers, DF, MH, MA, and so forth.
For the most part, the rules used don't affect my enjoyment of a game (the rule system does, but that's why I'm on this forum). In a game with magic, however, it's important to me that there be some coherent rules. I love Thaumatology (the book, the GURPS skill, and the concept) and I want magic to be something that can be understood, even if my character will never completely do so. Using only the basic magic system, for instance, there is no way to discover or invent magic without Wild Talent. New spell development, without an extremely lenient reading of equipment modifiers, requires enchanted tools. This is still possible (the first tools/spells were granted by the gods or whatever) but I prefer my character be able to figure these things out from first principles and even if that's not possible I want that origin information to exist. Basically: I treat magic as a science because it follows specific rules. I'm willing to accept that those rules are not the rules of normal physics, but I demand that, whatever they are, they be internally consistent.
Quote:
Plot: how important is the plot? do you avoid games without it, and only go for ideas that sound cool? do you prefer just wandering around letting characters make their own decisions? And is this question even an issue?
I'm happy without a plot as long as things still happen - a pathless but reactive world is fine, a simple backdrop is not. I'm happy with a plot, too, if I'm allowed to do things the GM hasn't considered. I can't stand being told I can't do something because the GM's not sure how to handle it or because it doesn't fit the story, because if I wanted that I'd just play a computer game. When there is a plot, I understand the need for occasional metagaming to keep characters in it, but a character should be able to quit or leave unless there's some in-game reason not to. Of course, once they leave the story they become part of the background and the player needs to make a new character or has effectively dropped out.
Quote:
Power Level: Do you love working with mounds of points? is such a prospect dull to you? does it matter by genre? similarly, (but not the same) do you enjoy being world shakers, or do you want to deal with peers? or is this even an issue?
I want to be able to affect something sometimes. I have no interest in playing a game where I'm caught up in some giant mechanism and the most I can do is feebly try to be happy surviving - I have enough of that in the real world. Beyond that, I like many different things. I like having enough points to play an actual character, though - in a low-point game I can't spend points on skills that the character should have but that won't be useful without spending the rest of the game feeling underpowered and ineffective. If there are a lot of points, some ruling on how to spend them is reasonable.
Quote:
House Rules: Are they annoying or wonderful? If depends, what determines this? or are they just all par for the course?
In general I don't think they're necessary, but as long as they come with some explanation and they don't break things, I have no problem accepting them. (Note that I'm not talking about choices on optional rules. I'm fine with those in general.)
Quote:
Gaming Group: Different players and GMs cause games to behave differently. when using PbP on this forum, how important is who is already playing in the game, or GMing it?
If I've had bad past experiences with someone, I'm less likely to join a game they're in and much less likely to join a game they're running. If I've had good experiences with someone, I'm more likely to join a game they're running (I'll probably consider any game Totem runs, even if I wouldn't generally enjoy the genre, for instance). Otherwise it's not a huge deal. I have no problem playing with strangers.
Quote:
Other issues: what other issues strongly effect how well a pbp game runs?
Clarity. All the players (and the GM) need to know what the genre is. If there are house rules, they need to be stated completely and precisely. If there's not going to be a plot, players need to know to take initiative rather than waiting for the GM. If anyone's going to be upset about the post rate being too slow or too fast, there needs to be some specified ruling and resolution.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #12
Lamech

Quote:
Genre: Fantasy, DF, Science Fiction, Supers, Space Opera and others. Which make you say "I've got to play this", and which do you particularly avoid?
I'm not overly a fan of DF. Sci-fi is cool (THS types.) Also urban fantasy Cabal-esque is pretty cool too.
Quote:
Activities Planned: Do you prefer solving puzzles? or is it combat that enthuses you? How important is character development? Is negotiation an enjoyable part of play?
Combat isn't great in a PbP format... The others work. I also note investigation works too.
Quote:
Supplement materials: Which sets of rules make or break a PbP game for you? This includes Cinematic vs Realistic, G:Magic, Thuamology, Supers, Psionic Powers, DF, MH, MA, and so forth.
MH 1 was great magic rules. MH 2 has good rules for investigation or solving mysteries. Social Engineering is good for games with lots of social interaction. Ultra-tech/bio-tech/spaceships is great for high-tech games. A couple of the low tech books are valuable for certain things. Quite a few of these books the players never need to "see". The GM can handle all the rules for investigation for example.

Quote:
Power Level: Do you love working with mounds of points? is such a prospect dull to you? does it matter by genre? similarly, (but not the same) do you enjoy being world shakers, or do you want to deal with peers? or is this even an issue?
Depends on the game and what the characters are supposed to be doing. You don't want characters with an inappropriate amount of power. If you are Cabal grandmasters 250 points is far too low. If you are newbie investigators discovering Cabal plots 1000 points is way to much.
Quote:
House Rules: Are they annoying or wonderful? If depends, what determines this? or are they just all par for the course?
Too many make things complicated and can be really annoying.
Hiriko
Andrew

Last edited by Lamech; 12-09-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
Ulthar88

I'm not too concerned with genre... I do tend to prefer fantasy or SF, but that alone doesn't make much difference to me.

I enjoy all of the above, but considering the strengths & weaknesses of the PbP format, combat should probably be de-emphasized outside of arena-style games. And while I can enjoy character (CP) growth, I do think it's completely unnecessary to a fine game -- I can take it or leave it.

Not much of an issue for me so long as all of that is stated up front... and supplemental rules do not cover too many books (just for the sake of my sanity).

Plot: how important is the plot? do you avoid games without it, and only go for ideas that sound cool? do you prefer just wandering around letting characters make their own decisions? And is this question even an issue?

While there should be some purpose to an adventure, I become immediately bored if I find that said plot is really a script and there is a predetermined path to the goal. I rather insist on some level of sandboxiness.

I confess that point totals over 400 or statements like "try to keep disads below 125" cause me to veer off sharply. (With the exception of full-on Supers games, of course.)
And probably a corollary to that -- I strongly prefer playing a credible individual, rather than some wish-fulfillment avatar.

Any should be minimal, stated up front, and very clearly worded. I might make an exception for a well presented original supplemental book (something like "MyPsionics", for instance.)

Gaming Group: Different players and GMs cause games to behave differently. when using PbP on this forum, how important is who is already playing in the game, or GMing it?

The only way I can survive in PbP is to be very flexible and accommodating to other folks' playstyles. Only in the case of someone who genuinely annoys me will this be much of an issue.

Although I agree with some previous posters on the importance of consistent posting frequency and styles... I have come to believe that this is a virtual, if not literal, impossibility within this universe and among this species.
Ulthar88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
Michael Thayne

Questions for people who've opined here: There seems to be a fairly strong pro-plot consensus here, but what makes a good plot? Similarly, a number of people have said they like puzzle solving, what makes a good puzzle (or mystery to investigate, etc.)? How much guidance is good as to the *approach* you take to solving a given problem? How do you make sure all characters get time in the spotlight, if one player/character turns out to be a lot better puzzle solver or investigator than the others?

(I ask because I'm thinking of starting up another supers game, want some input on these things before I do.)
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Questions for people who've opined here: There seems to be a fairly strong pro-plot consensus here, but what makes a good plot? Similarly, a number of people have said they like puzzle solving, what makes a good puzzle (or mystery to investigate, etc.)? How much guidance is good as to the *approach* you take to solving a given problem? How do you make sure all characters get time in the spotlight, if one player/character turns out to be a lot better puzzle solver or investigator than the others?

(I ask because I'm thinking of starting up another supers game, want some input on these things before I do.)
For this sort of question I would say that it matters a lot on the players. Sometimes players will run in and explore corners of the game that you haven't considered looking at, but other times you present them with definite places to go and explore and nothing happens.

If you're going to run a game with plot then reserving some space in the OOC thread in advance for plot notes to be stored would be an idea. And being ready and willing to reiterate plot details on a regular basis would be handy. Plus warning people in advance...

For puzzles it can be awkward. Some players will spend masses of points on skills and then seemingly fail to look at those skills when you present them with an opportunity to use them which is tailor-made for their character...

Basically, it's damned awkward. The best you can do is let people know in advance what is going to be required of them in terms of paying attention to situations and being creative with their abilities. Some players will jump in and make good use of their skills while others will hang back.

I did ask something like this myself once, regarding Worlds of Fire. I think ultimately the answer is that you need to be ready to adjust things as they go along. The one thing I would really suggest though is not relying on players talking to each other and planning coherently the way that they could around a tabletop (there was a wonderful example of that in one PbP game where, after the setup and discussion of the plan, three players launched into totally separate plans which contradicted each other in big ways).

My introduction to GURPS is described here (and this is the kind of thing that I was expecting when I started playing it):

Quote:
The guy who introduced me to the idea of GURPS (though not to the game itself sadly; I discovered that several years later) mentioned one situation that he had been in during a game where he was trying to take out someone in a car. For whatever reason, the proposed method of doing this was: a bomb (Demolitions/ Explosives/ Armoury) wired up to an infra-red detonator which was then detonated by his character riding a motorbike (Drive) using the infra-red doohicky on a mobile phone (Computer Operation to program a suitable signal, plus a penalty on Drive for trying to manipulate the phone and the motorbike at the same time). I think it worked...
Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #16
Flameman

Quote:
Fantasy, Horror, Science Fiction. Most things are okay, only Supers doesn't appeal to me.

Quote:
Count me in on social plots, in PbP you have good opportunities to flesh out the world and let your character build up a large social network where he/she can navigate in.
Puzzels are kind of hard, in a pen and paper game the GM can see when and where the PC's are struggeling and ofer a quick hint in the good direction. This is somewhat harder online, that borderland between too easy and too hard is very small. For the GM it is a lot harder to offer the correct hint that doesn't spoil the puzzle because he doesn't know how the players are thinking and what they are thinking about.
Some combat is okay but it should be about something and not just a seriers of dice rolls. Combat is also rather slow. Finally it should be interesting, no infinite smooth plain with opponents that rarely make an unexpected move.
Negotiation is okay as long as there is something of value to the PC to negotiate about. I don't care if I pay 3$ or 2$ for me lettuce, that can be handeld by a quick merchant roll. Let it change the plot if it goes wrong or right, make it mean something.

Quote:
Realistic all the way. That doen't mean there can be no magic or somthing supernatural. I like it when the NPC I encounter are "real" and not just murder-hobo's. I also tend towards the gritty side of things, maby because I avoid combat, maby I avoid combat because of this, I don't know.
Which books to use doesn't really matter, al long as it fits the campaign. Any campain involving combat should include MA at least. I'am a fan of LT and it's companions.

Quote:
When a campaign has just begun it is almost necesary to have a strong plot to get all the characters involved in the world. In my opinion a GM should eventualy discuss with the players on what to do. Let the player characters find their own story after a while.

Quote:
Somewhere in the point range of 100-250 starting CP. Enough to let the PC's be good at something and not enough to make every character god.
I like playing that influential advisor or mage, but not the king himself or the highest ranking soldier in the campaign.

Quote:
I'm okay with them as long as they make sense and don't pop-up all the time to spoil my plans.

Quote:
Most people I play(ed) with would be nice person to have around in a next campaign.

Quote:
As a GM i like to get feedback from my players to see what parts can be improved , what they like or not. It's hard to judge someones opinion on something when you don't get an OOC response to it. I coud be doing it in an entirely worng way and not even notice it!

As a player I like GM's who are involved with my character and work to make somthing nice out of the thing we are all playing.

Overall I like seeing character development and a world that changes with the actions of the players. It doesn't have to be big, but should be something that matters for the chracters
Flameman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
Surnis

Genre: While I would play any genre, I have a favorite spot for anything that involves mecha, be it sci-fi, steampunk, or even mecha in fantasy. Since 99% of any pbp game is played with D&D and thus medieval fantasy, I would try to avoid it, too common. I also fear that horror can't really work well in a pbp game, as getting back in the scary mood as you receive mail seems impossible. You can of course have a game with vampires and gore, but the players are not going to be really scared.

activities: Pbp is notoriously slow. Personally, i would rather wait for the opponent's move in a battle than wait for a reply like "I think you're right." for 2 days, after suggesting a possible solution to a riddle. Conversation is just way too long. Combat is too, but I don't really mind it, people have been playing chess and such by mail for centuries, and it works, no matter how long the game takes, as long as each post is exciting, wich is usually more than talking to an innkeeper.

supplement: my favorite environments are those that have a bit of evrything. So a setting with no magic is lesser in my opinion. Same thing if there is no technology. A mage/martial artist fighting demons in his giant power armor is so cool. (I'm a munchkin, I admit.)

Plot: While a plot might make a greater story overall, it rarely survives player interaction, and dice rolls. You need one to get the game started, but don,t insist on respecting it too much if you don,t want to railroad the players.

Power level: In my own games, I always start the characters as weak as I can get away with. In GURPS, that would mean 10 in all stats and 0 points. But there is no limit to the power that can be acquired, as my campaigns always have a cosmic bend. The point is, you can accumulate untold power, but no freebies! (When I play alone, I even pay back those starting 10s before I can raise to 11!) But then, you can eventually be a mage/martial artist in power armor! Admittedly, I can't get any players because of that, so don,t listen to me, lol.

House rules: Personaly, I love them, especially if there from me, lol. I like to experiment variants on how to do things, combine game systems together, etc.
But I know by experience that most players don,t want any. They usually worship the books, as someone who wrote a book is obviously so much better than you loser GM.
AD&D epoch: Me: Alignment languages are a stupid idea, i'm not using them in my campaign.
Players: what? Alignement languages are great! Gygax says so! He's so much brighter than you! We'll bug you each session until you allow them!
3rd edition: (no longer any alignment languages in the rules) same players: alignment languages were so lame! I"m glad we never used them!
Want to enrage a gaming club? Suggest a hybrid Mage Knight/Magic the gathering combo. (the basic idea being that you have to conquer lands before you can place them in your deck) and you'll get a feeling you're saying something blasphemous.
So I keep my house rules to myself, and play by the book in the few instances I get players. The exception being when I play with lazy types who don't bother to read any books (most players I know now, actually) and count on me to teach them... I can teach them whatever I like, hehehe.

Gaming group: If the question is how important it is that you like the people youre playing with, I would say its the major point. The fact that you are not face-to-face does'nt make disliking another player any less likely, and it is much easier to stop playing on a whim in PBP than around a real table. All pbm games i tried quickly died, because no one cared for the other player or his character, so lost interest as soon as the action dies down, wich is all the time in pbp.
Being a smartass, it,s not easy for me to go well with a group. either.

other: A big question is how to hurry people who always take so much time before replying. Giving a time limit is not a good idea, as they'll just quit, We game for fun, not for pressure. (we work for that.) The ideal group would have passionate players would will find time to do their turns no matter what job/family exacts from them. (or else don,t have jobs/famillies to start with.) But it's not easy to arrange.

Overall, i prefer playing by email than playing by chat, mostly because it gives you time to think. (playing a ccg such as YU-GI-OH by mail is a totaly different experience than playing on a table. I'm sure lots of people are signing themselves with the cross at reading this...)
Also, I have a short attention span. i'd rather do a round of a big battle each day for 3 months than play it for 8 hours in a row. I searched a while for people to play miniature/wargames by email, but again, its a sacrilegous idea, it seems.
Surnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:14 AM   #18
Agemegos

Quote:
What makes a good Play by Post game?
I'm not really very experienced in PBP, but I'm going to answer anyway. Take my responses with the appropriate grain of salt.

Note well that the opinions expressed below are all my opinions. I am not stating anyone else's opinions. Least of all, dear reader, am I trying to express your opinions.

Quote:
I don't care much for Supers or Space Opera as genres in any medium, and I fear that dungeoncrawls have too much detailed action for the slow medium of PBP. I love well-thought-out SF and fantasy, ill-considered bags of cliché less so. I'd like to give horror a go in PBP, and I'd fall of my chair in excitement at the chance to play a Cliffhangers PBP with a good GM.

Quote:
I like investigation and exploration. Characterisation is fun. Character development is appropriate to a dramatic game with dynamic protagonists, not to a procedural game with iconic protagonists. I find that in PBP negotiation slows to an unbearable crawl while you are waiting sometimes days for responses.

Quote:
Rules in general don't excite me much.

Quote:
Plot is absolutely crucial, plot is what it is all about. Which is to say, the events of the game ought to have a complete set of connections by cause-and-effect. Character actions should be well-motivated. Events should happen for reasons.

Quote:
Mounds of points bore me and I think that tight point constraints lead to unrealistic and unconvincing builds and players playing characters they aren't happy with. I don't like playing world-shakers because I find that high stakes make the choices too clear and sacrifices too obvious. Working at a human scale is a lot more satisfactory. I like characters to be powerful enough in relation to the issues that they are dealing with to have freedom of action and to have the outcomes on the table depend on their efforts, but I don't like the stakes to be much more important than people's lives.

Quote:
If they simplify play they are good for PBP. If they complicate it, the opposite.

Quote:
Very much so, to me.

Quote:
I have found it problematic when there is a large difference between the rates at which different players post. A game that is supposed to go three turns a week runs poorly when only player posts only twice a week and another three times per day.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #19
Justin_Bedard

I'm open to everything but space opera. I've gotten backlash from that genre whenever I go to use it. If I had to take one, I'd got with a mix of Horror and survival style.

Depending on the players power, I tend to make puzzles for low point (50-100), and combat orientation for high point (100-250). Character developement is usually part of a plot, or interactions between players. I tend to shun away from negotiation other than if it could lead to a fun bit or two.

I don't use a specific book other than basic. If a player has a rule that they want to use, they have to bring it up beforehand. I stand mostly towards realistic, but I allow SOME cinematic stuff in a realistic game. I find magic to be high point stuff, but allow it. I've never used psionic or thuamology yet, but I tend to stay near basic than branch out. Keeps stuff simple.

somewhat important. I'll keep stuff loose enough for players to stumble on, or give them a general outline. I love to throw a twist or two in the game.

50-100 points in a survival or horror game. 125-150 for fantasy. anything higher and I feel like the characters are... superhuman. I enjoy a world-shaking monster, not character.

Recovery and Common sense are 1 point perks. they're the only two I really use. Oh, and a 120 enchantment point cap to cost 1$/magic point.

I find if I know the person, or converse with them, it goes a bit smoother.

visual and musical accompaniment. I like to give campaigns I play an extra boost by adding an ambience and sketching some of the areas, NPC's and players... Sometimes it doesn't turn out completly right, but it adds another layer to the... feeling? of the game.
Justin_Bedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:02 AM   #20
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Like: Historical, SF, fantasy.
Avoid: Supers, TV-inspired space opera.
Quote:
Character development and interaction are the things that I prefer in PbP. Combat tends to be slow.
Quote:
Whatever's appropriate for the game. Having complex sets of rules is on the whole unattractive. PbP allows time, in theory, for consulting rule books, but I'd tend to play during the working day on my 'phone, and consulting lots of PDFs or postings on it isn't that much fun.
Quote:
I like to have some idea of what the GM thinks the game is about, and hence what they'll respond to best. But given that, I can take a lot of plot, or very little.
Quote:
I don't want to be helpless and insignificant, or totally unequal to the challenges, but given that, I have a wide range.
Quote:
What matters is that they are clear, known to the players, and not too complex. For example, I'd class Technical Grappling as "too complex" unless it was the main activity of the game.
Quote:
I prefer not to join games that have been running for a long while; it's hard to internalise all the history. PbP has a lot written down, but not necessarily the interpretations and meaning of events, which are the most important part. I would consider who was running a game important, and who was looking to play in it.
Quote:
Regularity of postings. Getting stuck waiting for people drains the fun.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote