Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Variations on the Lich Spell and the Lich Potion

I was just wondering if anyone had experimented with variations of the Lich Spell and the Lich Potion? I was thinking of making a variant that removed all of the disadvantages except the Dependency (Mana) and was wondering if anyone had played around with the same concept?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:55 PM   #2
Dalillama

Default Re: Variations on the Lich Spell and the Lich Potion

..kinda out ot the spirit of the spell, I ahould think? Steaight up immortality a should be a Body or Healing college thing, it's not really a necromancer's bailiwick.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:37 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

I once played with the idea that the very first vampire was a variant Lich.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #4
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Never through the Magic system, but I have used many alternate Lich templates. The idea of using magic to live forever and the consequences of doing so making you non-human is an old one, with many variations. Most of the time, I don't want a potion that keeps the immortal alive and skeletal. I want an object, or some other curse. So I often swap that part out. I often add powers like the ability to drain life or unkillable 3.

When you remove the skeletal limitations from a lich, are you trying to make a more powerful lich, or are you trying to make an immortality spell that's not necromancy? That really matters, because if a true immortality spell is available, it makes lichdom a corrupted counterfeit of what you actually want, and generally cheapens it. Which is fine, if that's what you want.

If you just want a Lich that can walk around and interact with people, you might be just as well off looking at illusion spells.

If you are an "enhanced Lich" with a full body, you're actually pretty close to a high powered mummy (like the Monster Hunters version): immortal, human looking, and utterly undead.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #5
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I was just wondering if anyone had experimented with variations of the Lich Spell and the Lich Potion? I was thinking of making a variant that removed all of the disadvantages except the Dependency (Mana) and was wondering if anyone had played around with the same concept?
My world contains what amounts to a psionic/technological version of a lich, a human was trying for living immortality, as well as transcendent power, but in the crunch several things went badly wrong, and what emerged was an animated corpse with substantial power, but not many other upsides.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #6
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
My world contains what amounts to a psionic/technological version of a lich, a human was trying for living immortality, as well as transcendent power, but in the crunch several things went badly wrong, and what emerged was an animated corpse with substantial power, but not many other upsides.
For my Supers game way back when, I altered/updated Chemico (example Supers villian) to be a radiation dependent Lich. It gives him more motivation (he needs radiation to survive) and a source of mooks so he can challenge a group more effectively on his own.

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...&postcount=167
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote