Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 05-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #21
Ged

Default Re: May 20, 2018: Gaming Clubs

Yes, and I started it through MeetUp after moving to Florida:
https://www.meetup.com/Suncoast-Gamers/

I now have two co-organizers and between us we meet four times a week at two different comic book stores about an hour apart.

Our favorite SJ Game is Port Royale.

Steve, I do some pro bono market research for boardgame companies (subsidized by our work with video game companies) - happy to help you with an online survey whenever you need it.
Ged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #22
gikiski

Formal “Clubs” sounds like they would have dues, membership, and officeholders.

Two groups I attend have some defining regulars and meet frequently:

One plays D20 based games (Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 and Pathfinder) almost every two weeks, has six seats including DM (if anyone can’t play, we cancel).

The other plays GURPS almost every week, has six seats including GM (as long as GM and host can make it, we play with as few as three).

Both have had long running campaigns over the past fifteen and twelve years respectively. About seven campaigns between two DMs for D20 and two campaigns by one GM for GURPS. Both have also had some smaller campaigns sometimes run by the same masters while others run stints by another of the players stepping up to have a go.

Some of the players in both groups have other groups they attend fairly regularly as well, but I don’t know enough about them to add more than that.

Our GURPS GM likes to have about five players and will recruit new people if someone drops for a long time, but we went a long time with only three attending. About seven other players, give or take, have joined us at table.

Our D20 group gathers pretty steadily with six with the two DMs alternating bi-weekly from 2003 to about 2010, when one had to step down and strictly play, then recently left the group due to family matters. About ten other players, give or take, have joined us at table.
gikiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:52 PM   #23
Shostak

My little (but mighty) local library has a monthly family board game night (second Fridays) and monthly D&D game (last Thursdays) from 6- p.m.. My only complaints are that they are too brief, are not weekly, and that it is D&D rather than a game I actually like (e.g. GURPS, CoC, TFT, Traveller). The family board game night often has in excess of 16 players.

The library has two other D&D clubs, both after-school groups, organized by age, that meet weekly. Lucky kids!
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #24
lachimba

Most assuredly are, or is, I should say. In Sydney at least.

Exiles Gaming Club has hundreds of members.

There is a yearly membership fee, but non members are welcome at a slightly higher day rate.

The club has something like fifteen tables suitable for boardgames or RPGS along with tables for Warhammer type battle games.

Its potentially open 24/7 365 days a year thanks to a roster of keyholders. In practice its open most weekdays until late and morning to late weekends.

Also a section for LARP practice.

There's fridges, snacks and so on.

Any given month there are tables of D&D, GURPS, WFRP, and more D&D.

There is a library of boardgames and RPGs (still missing DFRPG and Basic Set Campaigns).

I demo the GURPS games and have demoed Port Royal and Revolution.

Last edited by lachimba; 05-20-2018 at 06:27 PM.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #25
Thirdpower

My group gets together once or twice a month. Primarily RPG (Palladium Fantasy 1st Ed, Planet Mercenary, 7th Sea) w. the occasional movie/board game night.

There is a local gaming club but their meeting times don't mesh w/ my work schedule so I haven't been able to join.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:50 PM   #26
JimTullis

No formal Clubs here in Bowling Green, but our FLGS has a Thursday Night board-game night and our local MIB is almost always present.

Local gamers do a lot of promotion and ask for games on various locally organized Face Book groups.

We also have an informal Star Wars themed club here. The Bowling Green Banthas meet Friday Mornings from 10am until we wander off. Mostly it is just my buddy Jeremie and me, but we have some other regular folks who stop by and a local monthly X-Wing tournament that gets 6 to 12 players. Jeremie came up with a shirt design that local players can order. Many of our local players try to wear them when we go out of town to represent our local community.

Some of the X-Wing players are interested in Car Wars 6th Edition. I think we will probably do very similar things locally for Car Wars. I will try to push for a local chapter of whatever organized group grows up around Car Wars.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #27
Ronnke

I'm a member of a local gaming club which meets every Thursday night. We have maybe 30 members, of which about 15 are regulars every week. The games played are tabletop wargames, card games, boardgames, and rpgs.

I'm also involved in 5 different roleplaying groups which play either weekly or fortnightly. Three of those groups are online using Fantasy Grounds (2 GURPS, and 1 D&D), the other 2 are face to face playing GURPS.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #28
Magesmiley

I suppose that I'm one of the active members of SWAT, running Car Wars tournaments at two conventions annually.

I have a long-running 3.5 D&D campaign that plays roughly weekly. This group is my main one, and we often play other games as well. Membership has fluctuated some over the years, but it currently has 10 people in it.

I've got another circle of gamers that has been doing a Twilight Imperium game roughly quarterly for a number of years.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #29
Soulmaster

Down at Texas A&M we have a board game club. It meets every Thursday during the semester (not during breaks) and plays assorted games in the student center. Its a relatively new club also, started in 2015. It has I think 7 groups of people that do D&D, just on different days. Great way to de-stress after a week of school.
Soulmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:48 PM   #30
Isosceles

Multiple gaming groups in NYC that have formed on the Meetup app. No membership dues. They generally are umbrella organizations that contain multiple games that are running. I have been running a weekly Shadowrun Anarchy game in one of them since September of last year.
Isosceles is offline   Reply With Quote