Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 05-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #11
Grand Poobah

Default Re: May 20, 2018: Gaming Clubs

There is one group in the area that I try to get to: Board Game Fellowship Night. Meets at a church every second Saturday night 6p - ? B.G.F.N turned into BiG FuN Group. In addition to once a month, a few members meet with their own groups a couple times a month. You will see a lot of the dudes at the conventions, playing, but doing a lot of teaching.
Grand Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #12
Balok

I'm part of a group that gets together about every other week. More or less. Most of us are middle-aged at this point, and sometimes Life (tm) has other plans, but we're pretty consistent. We play both GURPS and other games which shall remain nameless, as well as board games (though not, sadly, Munchkin at this time).
Balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #13
whswhs

When I was down in San Diego, I had around 15 more or less regular players who started calling themselves the Stoddard Gaming Circle (though it acquired an extended version that included people who gamed regularly with some of my players, but not with me). We weren't anything as formal as a club, and we met in various people's kitchens or living rooms. But we had more then twenty years of tradition when I moved away.

Up here in Riverside, maybe half a year after we moved up, I first got in contact with another GURPS player who belonged to an organized gaming space. They offer gaming tables for rent, by the session or as an annual membership fee. I haven't established a stable circle of players yet, but the space works well and I've been able to run monthly games for about a year now.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #14
Dave123

I've got a group of @ 2-3 friends + spouse that have been meeting for decades. We try to meet each Saturday, but family obligations and such can make us reschedule. Currently, it's like a fam. reunion. Kids veg out downstairs to kiddie movies & snacks (it becomes their cinema night), while the (sort-of) adults are upstairs gaming. We take turns GMing.
Dave123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #15
Doc Cross

While I have never been a mamber of a gaming club, I am a member of two groups. The group that I've been playing D&D 5e with for nearly 3 years now is known as "Jessica's Journeymen", after our DM, Jessica.

The group that I DM D&D 5e for is known as "D&D&Pizza", because we meet at a pizza place to play.

Both groups are great fun to be with.
Doc Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #16
ColinK

Back in the day, when Melee, Wizard, TFT:ITL and Microquests were new, I gamed with several groups. The OLD grognards from American Eagle up in north Seattle still met in the store and each other's homes frequently. Only a few of them are left these days. We get together on Labor Day most years. Then there was Metro Seattle Gamers and their convention, Dragonflight. They actually had a small home up in Ballard, totally dedicated to gaming.

I see they're still at it -- https://metroseattlegamers.org/

There was much maneuvering of Napoleonics, Ancients, Musket & Pike, Colonial, WWII air/land/seal, WWI air/land/sea, iron battleships, wood battleships and other miniature armies and fleets for the better part of a decade. We also had ongoing campaigns of TRAVELLER, then PARANOIA and lots of board games, like Fire When Ready, WarpWar, Third Reich, A Mighty Fortress and many more.

Another group of friends met in a their family's huge game room monthly for D&D, TFT, all sorts of ancients, moderns, tanks, ships and other miniatures battles, plus some of the first big fantasy figures battles I remember seeing. Ahh...the Bone Avalanche. Fun memories.

Most recently, the gaming group I play with most is my Dad and brother. We meet online in Neverwinter Nights, which works really well for us since our homes are in Spokane and the suburbs of Seattle...HINT
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #17
rknop

The closest I have to a gaming club is the Pittsburgh chapter of the Pathfinder Society organized play campaign. Indeed, PFS in general head been a place to find online games, and has put me in touch with other games. Of course, this is mostly Pathfinder games (and organized play at that).

Back when I had hope that Dungeon Fantasy would be a going concern (i.e. before it was released), I thought it might be worth trying to build an OP campaign for it.
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #18
Parody

Let's see:

SPARK still plays Car Wars once a month or so. (We were a AADA club up until that was shut down.)

I'm part of a few groups who organize regular board/card game nights at their houses or local FLGSes. I missed one yesterday (that one's monthly) while my regular store nights are Tuesdays and Thursdays. On some of those Tuesdays we continue a campaign of the Pathfinder card game.

Sadly, I'm not in an RPG campaign at the moment.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:45 PM   #19
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

No club, per se, but the FLGS I work with has a weekly Tabletop Tuesday where they focus on boardgames. It usually attracts ~30 people every week, with a lot of the being regulars.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #20
Buzzardo

My GURPS group plays every Saturday from 11 to 5 or so.

My board game group averages about every third Saturday evening - less often near holidays and more often the rest of the time.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote