Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 05-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #11
wolf90

Default Re: May 8, 2018: Ogre Miniatures Second Edition Kickstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
But it is frustrating, both I imagine for you and for us.
It is indeed very frustrating for us. Which is why we keep trying to find creative ways to include our non-U.S. fans. Our current option isn't perfect, but I personally believe it is a workable compromise.

Thank you for your understanding and feedback; people such as yourself, that take the time to provide constructive feedback, help us deliver a superior product for everyone.

- Drew
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:19 AM   #12
rockwoofstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterS View Post
There isn't an "I Want It All" specific item on Warehouse 23, but the Battle Box, Many Minis, and Rulebook are all now posted for international preorder: http://www.warehouse23.com/products?...D=558399701-sb
So just for clarity, if I order the new rule book ($35) and the Many Minis box ($115), I’ll receive everthing I would have got in the “I want it all” backer level in the Kickstarter. Is that correct?
rockwoofstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:07 AM   #13
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoofstone View Post
So just for clarity, if I order the new rule book ($35) and the Many Minis box ($115), I’ll receive everthing I would have got in the “I want it all” backer level in the Kickstarter. Is that correct?
Yes with a minor disclaimer: There was an error in the now-closed $150 level. If you preorder the above two items, you will get the corrected $150 reward. The errored version includes two black minis that were never intended as part of the reward.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #14
rockwoofstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Yes with a minor disclaimer: There was an error in the now-closed $150 level. If you preorder the above two items, you will get the corrected $150 reward. The errored version includes two black minis that were never intended as part of the reward.
Thanks. Looking more closely, the $110 reward is the correct level for me, but I can’t see any way of getting that for $110 at W23. To get the same looks to cost $115. Am I missing something?
Old 05-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #15
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Thanks. Looking more closely, the $110 reward is the correct level for me, but I can’t see any way of getting that for $110 at W23. To get the same looks to cost $115. Am I missing something?
It's a math headache on our side. The $115 through Warehouse 23 is correct and was the best we could pull off without causing problems.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #16
rockwoofstone

Quote:
It's a math headache on our side. The $115 through Warehouse 23 is correct and was the best we could pull off without causing problems.
Wondering why you cannot just emulate the package for the same price, then everyone gets treated fairly?

i.e. to match the $110 pledge item, offer a single $110 priced item on the store for a "Printed book + Battle box" item, which you make available for the duration of the Kickstarter.

Doesn't seem too much of a headache - is this possible?
Old 05-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #17
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Wondering why you cannot just emulate the package for the same price, then everyone gets treated fairly?
The best way to take advantage of the exact $110 reward level on Kickstarter is to back the project and then use a mail forwarding service to deliver the product. What would happen is that you complete the survey with the address of your chosen mail service; we then ship to the address that you provide and the selected service handles shipping the package directly to you.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ok/description

The Kickstarter page includes the fulfillment suggestion.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #18
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

For what it's worth (and it ain't worth much), I had a 90-minute conference call yesterday with the fine folks on Backerkit suggesting and discussing ways of making the post-campaign fulfillment process less expensive, more transparent, and easier to customize.

It is, quite simply, hard. And that's for a roleplaying game, which is a book, which has nice friendly exemptions from VAT in places and is eligible for media mail rates ($2.15 plus $0.51 per pound anywhere in the USA).

There's just no easy solution at the moment, and the permutations involved are insane, which is one of the many reasons it just ain't simple. Every "what-if" was followed by five complications on how doing it one way would make four other ways break. And again: that was for a BOOK.

Boardgames, to quote Tom Cruise, "are much worse than you think."
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:06 AM   #19
rockwoofstone

Quote:
The best way to take advantage of the exact $110 reward level on Kickstarter is to back the project and then use a mail forwarding service to deliver the product. What would happen is that you complete the survey with the address of your chosen mail service; we then ship to the address that you provide and the selected service handles shipping the package directly to you.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ok/description

The Kickstarter page includes the fulfillment suggestion.
Please note (and this is also partially in response to the next post), that I appreciate that you have difficulty sorting international shipping for the Kickstarter itself, but I'm not talking about why you can't do that.

I'm simply asking why you are charging a premium for the base price for these items in W23. You already charge the full amount to cover postage, so it has nothing to do with that, but have an extra $5 for no reason whatsoever, which just seems grossly unfair. Using a freight forwarding service is an unnecessary complexity and expense that neither vendor nor customer should be having to think about.

This is a very disappointing response from SJ Games. I have been collecting many of your games since the 1980s. I have all apart from 2 of the original pocket box games; I have virtually every release of Illuminati and Car Wars items you've ever made; I have everything Ogre related apart from the new miniatures releases, but the principle here leaves me as a disappointed customer, as you've explained no good reason why you are charging $5 extra on W23 for the same product, essentially punishing international customers. All you need to do is to charge the same price, which seems to be straightforward to do simply by adding bundles to W23 that match the Kickstarter bundles.

Please reconsider your response. Thank-you.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:28 AM   #20
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
I'm simply asking why you are charging a premium for the base price for these items in W23.
The MSRP of the Battle Box is $79.95, not $74.95, meaning that the Warehouse 23 price is accurate. And the Battle Box is going into distribution, so international supporters could preorder the box at their local store and preorder only the new rules on Warehouse 23.

To fully take advantage of Kickstarter, international supporters can use a mail fulfillment service. These are experts in shipping -- especially in shipping from the U.S. to other nations -- and they can offer better rates than we can.

If we could, we would offer international rewards through Kickstarter. Unfortunately, that leaves us with two options:

* Use an external service, like BackerKit, to collect shipping costs after the project ends. That eats into the profitability of the project and would force us to increase both the base goal and the amount of stretch goals.

* All backers to pledge shipping during the project, which dramatically throws off all of the math. And since we cannot predict how many international backers there may be, we cannot accurately estimate how much those shipping dollars would affect the final stretch goals. $50 in shipping added to a project is not the equivalent of $15 in shipping added to a project.

None of the costs of shipping are designed as "punishment" or are in any way under our control. We are charging the estimated shipping as necessary.