Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
grimblefig

Default Ogre: Objective 218 idea

I would love to see a playmat for Ogre: Objective 218

A nice, cloth-topped playmat with the crater and the two CPs printed on it would be perfect for playing the game. Other styling could be variable. Ogre DE introduced the concept of craters to greener maps with the crater overlays on the C1 sheet, so the playmat doesn't have to be the original Ogre map wasteland style.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this could be a must-have accessory for OO218?
grimblefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:41 PM   #2
bms

Default Re: Ogre: Objective 218 idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimblefig View Post
I would love to see a playmat for Ogre: Objective 218

A nice, cloth-topped playmat with the crater and the two CPs printed on it would be perfect for playing the game. Other styling could be variable. Ogre DE introduced the concept of craters to greener maps with the crater overlays on the C1 sheet, so the playmat doesn't have to be the original Ogre map wasteland style.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this could be a must-have accessory for OO218?
I'd consider it an interesting add-on, but not a must-have.

For me, the lure of Objective 218, besides the Ogre theme, is the portability. Much like its predecessor Hill 218, I can toss it in my bag, and pull it out to play with a friend while we're waiting for more people to show up for gaming without a ton of setup. Everyone I've played the game with has understood the concept of putting the cards in a grid without the need for an external aid.

Also, I sleeve my cards so I'm not worried about losing the protection that a playmat might offer from a sticky table.
bms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
grimblefig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms View Post
I'd consider it an interesting add-on, but not a must-have.
Ah, forgive my bit of hyperbole. I get carried away with my own ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms View Post
For me, the lure of Objective 218, besides the Ogre theme, is the portability. Much like its predecessor Hill 218, I can toss it in my bag, and pull it out to play with a friend while we're waiting for more people to show up for gaming without a ton of setup. Everyone I've played the game with has understood the concept of putting the cards in a grid without the need for an external aid.

Also, I sleeve my cards so I'm not worried about losing the protection that a playmat might offer from a sticky table.
Well, OO218 is a lot more portable than ODE, at least. It could be a little more portable, if not for the Crater Centerpiece. I tend to transfer a lot of my games into storage that is more survivable than the paper-based boxes they come in (due to pets, kids, and clumsiness in my home), but the design of the Crater Centerpiece is such that it will not fit in anything but the OO218 box (unless it is also way too big for the rest of the cards). The original Hill218, by contrast, is completely card based, so the entire game fits in a simple card box that can be put in your pocket.

I realize that this is a personal preference, but I figure that, if the crater is going to be an odd size and difficult to store (or rather, re-store) anyway, why not make it a big, beautiful, map-sized playmat? It doesn't have to have a grid printed on it, just the crater and the two Command Posts.

Anyway, YMMV. If you like it the way it is, then more power to you.
grimblefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
bms

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimblefig View Post
I realize that this is a personal preference, but I figure that, if the crater is going to be an odd size and difficult to store (or rather, re-store) anyway, why not make it a big, beautiful, map-sized playmat?
Just my preference, but if I was going to have a big beautiful map-sized playmat, I'd want it to actually be an ODE map.

The Ogre map or the GEV maps as a rollup mousepad-style playmat at ODE size? Now that would be a must-buy for me. It'd be nice and grippy and insure that that thing wouldn't move at all when bumped.
bms is offline   Reply With Quote