Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #11
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: iphone/Android apps and Carwars ( and I know this is wrong thinking )

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam_bucky View Post
If the application was uploaded to the web? You could access it from a browser.
they you talking .jsp and at the matter it does matter if it was wirtine in .jsp, .asp or.cgi as it server side. unless you really mean Javascript is somthing interily different.

my point about iphone supporting java extend to applets as well
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #12
Parody

Default Re: iphone/Android apps and Carwars ( and I know this is wrong thinking )

I'd want to write native code if I was writing for iPhone or Android. Back...what...10 years ago now(?), I was thinking Java to be PC/Mac/*nix cross-platform for the designer.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
grimblefig

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam_bucky View Post
Ok, this is one of those "dream a little dream" posts - flame if you must.

In a future version of CW, I'd love to have a smart phone app where you can build your vehicle, keep track of your handling, speed and damage etc - you bring along your car on your phone and play CW with you mates at the gaming table....the only counters you need to move around are the cars, pedestrians and placing some debris

...but where this all goes wrong is, - you'd probably want to play on a virtual board too with people all over the world.

People are playing turn based games on these smart phones, but nothing as complex as CW. Realistically, I think it would be a really small group that wants to play turn based car combat on a smart phone...

The genre of car combat still keeps goin though...
This might work better as more than one app that can share data.

You would have a car construction/display app (of course, I would also vote for it to be able to use the camera to scan a barcode that encodes the full car design on the "bottom" of a car counter -- now to argue about how to encode a car design in a barcode)

Then you could use the car handling data from the design in the maneuvering app. Each phase, it tells you if you should move and how much. You input speed and handling changes (maneuver difficulties / hazards), and it tells you if you swerve/skid/roll etc.

You could probably also use the car design data and the maneuvering data for a combat app. You could input target data (range, speed, orientation) and the weapon to fire (with a list provided from the car design data), and it would determine damage and location ( I wonder if we could use the camera to share this data from one device to another?).

Now that I have my HTC Desire, I dream about these things.
grimblefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #14
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
I'd want to write native code if I was writing for iPhone or Android. Back...what...10 years ago now(?), I was thinking Java to be PC/Mac/*nix cross-platform for the designer.
Umm they you way out of Date on the iPhone. shortly after the iPad came out Apple chnage the rules that for the iPhone OS (whic inculdes the iPad and the iPod Touch) you can only use THIER tools th write applications for it.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #15
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Umm they you way out of Date on the iPhone. shortly after the iPad came out Apple chnage the rules that for the iPhone OS (whic inculdes the iPad and the iPod Touch) you can only use THIER tools th write applications for it.
Huh? That's exactly what I said: if I were to write for the iWhatnots, I'd want to write native code. (I wasn't saying that the native toolset for the iWhatnots used Java. Or Codewarrior for Palm from the Palm IIIxe era. :)

Last edited by Parody; 01-18-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Parody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
owenmp

I found a blog post I reprinted in one of last year's issues of CWIN that might be related to this discussion.

Unveiling My Inner Geek: Microsoft Surface Meets Dungeons and Dragons
http://www.gamesbrief.com/2009/10/un...ns-and-dragons

Games Brief Blog
October 23, 2009
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #17
Dystopia Disco

Nice link, Owenmp. In the author's resource section there is a broken link to an article by Tony Kontes on building an ongoing campaign in Car Wars. Is this article still available anywhere? I'd be interested in reading it. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dystopia Disco; 01-19-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Dystopia Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #18
owenmp

GURPS Autoduel Lite: Car Wars Roleplaying Tips and Tactics
SWAT HQ - The Daemon Mechanic's Garage
http://www.seanet.com/~owenmp/daemon/index.html
http://www.seanet.com/~owenmp/daemon/roleplay.html
Author: Tony Kontes
Source: CWIN 2.10
Date: October 1999
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote