Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2018, 05:40 PM   #1
starslayer

Default Quick Gadgeteer and making more than one of an item

So a quick gadgeteer can build a prototype; say a TL8 Quick gadgeteer building an amazing invention.

This would normally carry a cost of ~15,000 (for a quick gadgeteer, 1,500,000 for a regular gadgeteer, and untold billions for a non-gadgeteer), and require a scrounging roll at -10 to reduce cost to 0-500.

Now, being that amazing inventions are the kind of thing you'd like to have a few of; assuming that the gadgeteer wants to build two more so that they can have three of the amazing invention with them; what does the cost of the subsequent two require of the gadgeteer:

1. Scrounging roll at -10 to reduce cost to 0-500
2. 20% of 15,000 (3000)
3. 20% of 1,500,000 (300,000)
4. 20% of 1,000,000
5. Other?
6. 1 and 2.

And why? Further is there a Kromm clarification on this issue (I looked but could not find one)?
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Quick Gadgeteer and making more than one of an item

I think the relevant rules are, first, that building a copy of the invention costs 20% of the retail price for parts, and takes half the time (p. 474, Production), and second, making the copy takes a Prototype roll with reduced penalties (p. 475, Prototype) and with reduced time and cost (pp. 476-477, Prototype).

You've already got the facilities and don't have to pay for them again. A Scrounging roll finds the needed items at very little cost; however, since you have already scrounged once, I would either (a) apply an extra penalty for each copy (say -1 per copy for Simple or Average gadgets, -3 for Complex, and -5 for Amazing), (b) apply +1 per copy to the (1d-1)x$100 roll for scrounged cost, or (c) require a search roll to locate a new place to scrounge. If the Scrounging roll fails, and you have to buy the parts, I'd THEN let you both divide costs for parts as the retail cost of the item, divided by 100, x20%. I'd divide time to assemble the prototype by 2.

Does that cover everything?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.

Last edited by whswhs; 03-17-2018 at 09:06 AM.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
starslayer

Default Re: Quick Gadgeteer and making more than one of an item

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I think the relevant rules are, first, that building a copy of the invention costs 20% of the retail price for parts, and takes half the time (p. 474, Production), and second, making the copy takes a Prototype roll with reduced penalties (p. 475, Prototype) and with reduced time and cost (pp. 476-477, Prototype).

You've already got the facilities and don't have to pay for them again. A Scrounging roll finds the needed items at very little cost; however, since you have already scrounged once, I would either (a) apply an extra penalty for each copy (say -1 per copy for Simple or Average gadgets, -3 for Complex, and -5 for Amazing), (b) apply +1 per copy to the (1d-1)x$100 roll for scrounged cost, or (c) require a search roll to locate a new place to scrounge. If the Scrounging roll fails, and you have to buy the parts, I'd THEN let you both divide costs for parts as the retail cost of the item, divided by 100, x20%. I'd divide time to assemble the prototype by 2.

Does that cover everything?
I think it does, thanks.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gadgeteering, quick gadgeteer