Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-20-2022, 09:11 PM   #51
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Is there something about the slam rules I'm missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
, then PCs that are monsters get Terror (Always On, -20%) for free for being monsters. en.
Nope, PCs who are "Monsters" gain the ability to cause Reaction Checks at -3 for Social Stigma: Monster and that's what should be on their sheets. There are al sorts of things that you wouldn't want to let into town that still wouldn't cause fainting and panic just by walking down the street.

Terror should require more than SM+1 and Ugly. There should be an aura of supernatural power _or_ the sort of actions that would make a human serial killer Fright Check-worthy.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:47 AM   #52
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Possibly monsters causing Fright Checks isn't meant to apply to PCs unless they pay for Terror? (But it doesn't seem to say so). Otherwise it does seem weird. Terror seems to be basically the ability to force a Fright Check, and if this is the case, then PCs that are monsters get Terror (Always On, -20%) for free for being monsters. I checked for an Advantage of the Week thread for Terror, but that one seems to have been forgotten.
Just scaring people isn't Terror. Terror is supernatural terror that always kicks in every time you see it. The guy at the Haunt doesn't have Terror, he just has a clown mask and a chainsaw with the blade removed.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 02:35 PM   #53
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Terror is supernatural terror that always kicks in every time you see it.
B93 has innate immunity for an entire hour if someone makes a save. This can be adjusted by things like Increased Immunity or Decreased Immunity modifiers.

Terror is also innately switchable ("when you activate this ability") unless one takes the Always On limitation.

I expect you could do other stuff like Maximum Duration too, to adjust it.

Since it is either sight-based or hearing-based I guess you'd need other stuff to represent "you feel the mass of the tiger on your back, it's drool dripping onto your exposed neck" type fear.

Although you can take Melee Attack on Terror, presumably it still requires the basic requirement of either hearing or sound. There might've been some modifiers to change that.

The suggestion is made that always-on Terror accompany Hideous or worse appearances. One major diff B21 has to the 3e take on appearance levels is I recall in 3e it mentioning doing Fright Checks for Horrific appearance built in, but that doesn't appear to be a package deal anymore.
Old 12-21-2022, 02:54 PM   #54
Varyon

Quote:
... then PCs that are monsters get Terror (Always On, -20%) for free for being monsters.
If they always trigger a Fright Check simply by showing up, they should have Terror (Always On), but have to pay for it (it's part of being a monster in such a campaign). But in a campaign where "is clearly a literal monster" is a legitimate option for a PC, their kind is probably common enough to not trigger a Fright Check every time and everywhere, and thus the character wouldn't have to pay for Terror (Always On)... because they don't actually have that trait. Being a literal monster, and then doing something monstrous, could certainly trigger a Fright Check... but then being a perfectly-normal-looking person and then doing something monstrous could do so as well (a monstrous Appearance, racial Reputation/Odious Racial Habit, etc might enhance the Fright Check a bit, at the GM's option).
Old 12-22-2022, 08:58 AM   #55
Plane

Far as I'm aware switchable Terror would stay on even if sleeping or unconscious (somethign to be aware of before bedtime) unless taking the 'while conscious' limitation on the inherently switchable ability.

Tags
cheetah, impala, pounce, rules question, slam