Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 05-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #11
martinl

Default Re: Shield Rush in DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I have no idea . . . I've never seen an ice weasel. There might be semi-upright ones with clever little paws who do use shields.
... Darn you Kromm. Darn you to heck. You are baiting me, and it worked.

Ice Weasel Shield Maiden

Some Ice Weasels are just a little ... different. They seem a little more clever. They seem a little more organized. They seem a little beefier, have long platinum blond braids, trill Ice Weasel Opera ... and tote large spiked shields emblazoned with rampant weasels.

These are the infamous ice weasel shield maiden team, and if they catch you traversing an icy alpine slope they will shield rush your sorry posterior right off the side of the mountain.

Treat as ice weasels with the following differences:
  • Lose Quadruped and Wild Animal (you may replace latter with Party Animal if you are so inclined)
  • Increase ST to 7 and IQ to 10
  • Reduce Move to 3 (medium enc)
  • Add shield skill at 16, a spiked large shield, Weapon Master (Shield), and the Shield Wall Training Perk
  • This gives them a block of 11, but reduces their dodge to 6. (These become 14 and 9 after DB.)
  • Full speed shield rush is at skill 16, 1d-3 base, -2 for a slam, +2 for WM&Skill, +2 for speed, +3 for a large shield and +1 for a spike for a total of 1d+3 (and -3 to opponent's return damage). If they have you on precarious footing, they will all out attack for 1d+5.
  • (edit) Codify the "Weasel Adrenaline Overdrive" advantage, that allows an ice weasel to add +2 damage and armor divisor 2 to a weapon attack or +4 and armor divisor 3 to a bite attack for 1 FP.
  • Add the "Ice Cold Slaver" advantage, which allows an ice weasel to coat a weapon with ice weasel slaver using three ready maneuvers. This makes it an icy weapon for the next attack. (end edit)

Ilse, Ingeborg, Brunhilde and Olga (etc.) are able to reliably knock less beefy delvers flat, and even the tougher delvers are not safe. Once you are down their lesser, but still vicious Ice Weasel boy toys can swarm you when you are prone, riding you like a toboggan as you slide down the mountainside, viciously chomping on your most sensitive hit locations all the way down.

Don't worry, at your funeral we'll say you were slain by Ogres.

Last edited by martinl; 05-08-2018 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Krommnian feedback
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post

... Darn you Kromm. Darn you to heck.
Or in this case, Hel.

Quote:

If they have you on precarious footing, they will all out attack for 1d+5.
I imagine that with Terrain Adaptation (Ice/Snow), this will happen a lot.

Also, it seems fitting that if regular ice weasels can make a high-damage chomp that does +4 damage – 1d(3) cutting vs. 1d-4 cutting – for 1 FP, then maybe these weasels can pay 1 FP for an ultra-high-damage shield rush. I leave it to the cruel GM to decides what the bonus for that is . . . +4 might be too big, but at least +2.

It would of course be beyond cruel to say that these weasels can use the glands in their mouth to coat their shields for an extra +2 cold damage, like Icy Weapon. What kind of GM would do that?
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #13
ArchonShiva

Quote:
It would of course be beyond cruel to say that these weasels can use the glands in their mouth to coat their shields for an extra +2 cold damage, like Icy Weapon. What kind of GM would do that?
I don’t think that would count for knocking down opponents, though. A flaming shield certainly doesn’t count the fire damage, does it?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:32 AM   #14
martinl

Quote:
...Also, it seems fitting that if regular ice weasels can make a high-damage chomp that does +4 damage – 1d(3) cutting vs. 1d-4 cutting – for 1 FP, then maybe these weasels can pay 1 FP for an ultra-high-damage shield rush. I leave it to the cruel GM to decides what the bonus for that is . . . +4 might be too big, but at least +2.

Both good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
I don’t think that would count for knocking down opponents, though. A flaming shield certainly doesn’t count the fire damage, does it?
This is true, but it is adding insult to injury (also, 2 points of actual injury).

Would it wrong for me to stat out an entire ice weasel delving party optimized for plundering human settlements?
Old 05-08-2018, 12:25 PM   #15
Dalin

Quote:
Would it wrong for me to stat out an entire ice weasel delving party optimized for plundering human settlements?
Oh, please do!
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #16
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
It's the kind of wrong that must be done!
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:19 PM   #17
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I imagine the racial template on p. 33 of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 5: Allies could be converted to the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game for this purpose. That describes an above-average ice weasel with IQ 10. Note that there seems to be at least one error: Quadruped [-35] is missing . . .
Old 05-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #18
martinl

Quote:
I imagine the racial template on p. 33 of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 5: Allies could be converted to the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game for this purpose. That describes an above-average ice weasel with IQ 10. Note that there seems to be at least one error: Quadruped [-35] is missing . . .
I see what you're getting at, but my ambition was more along the lines of a few more amped up weasel mods like the shieldmaidens above, plus some tactics, so the PCs can have a chance at being the other side as it were.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #19
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I believe that playable ice weasels are a basic right for gamers.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #20
ravenfish

Quote:
Note that there seems to be at least one error: Quadruped [-35] is missing . . .

All the better if it's to be played, surely. An exceptional Ice Weasel is presumably allowed to stand up on its hindpaws and hold things, as seen in many cartoon series.

Tags
dfrpg, rush, shield, shield rush, slam