Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
JCurwen3

Default Re: Shedim and Kyriotate Resonances in GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
That's what I was originally thinking, but by the RAW Telekinesis probably works better, unless you also include some way to turn a dead body into a zombie.
TK and Permeate I think are the ticket, thanks.

Also, to turn a dead body into a zombie... maybe Affliction (Alternate Form, Zombie)? I don't think that would work, since otherwise if you can apply a racial template to a dead body it would be a damn cheap way to resurrect someone. I think you'd have to bundle it in with like an Affliction of an Extra Life (not sure if you'd need Extended Duration: Permanent for that).

Or else some "Cosmic: Works on the dead" (+50%) on Unkillable and Regeneration as suggested for Resurrection in Powers. But that would be a pretty expensive way to make a zombie (more expensive than just plain resurrecting someone). I think it would be the preferred way though. Not that it matters for the purposes of my "possessing the dead" question; I'm set with TK and Permeate being the best way to do that.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Also, to turn a dead body into a zombie... maybe Affliction (Alternate Form, Zombie)? I don't think that would work, since otherwise if you can apply a racial template to a dead body it would be a damn cheap way to resurrect someone. I think you'd have to bundle it in with like an Affliction of an Extra Life (not sure if you'd need Extended Duration: Permanent for that).

Or else some "Cosmic: Works on the dead" (+50%) on Unkillable and Regeneration as suggested for Resurrection in Powers. But that would be a pretty expensive way to make a zombie (more expensive than just plain resurrecting someone). I think it would be the preferred way though. Not that it matters for the purposes of my "possessing the dead" question; I'm set with TK and Permeate being the best way to do that.
Naw. The way to make a zombie out of a dead body is a limited form of Cosmic Power Modular Abilities, which can only be used for Allies with Constantly Available and Summonable, with an Accessibility limitation (Must have body, -x%), and stats dependent upon what the body had in life plus the Zombie template. In this way, you could even make zombie dinosaurs, Dresden-style, along with zombie people.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy
The control bit sounds a lot like Mind Control with the Rationalization enhancement, while the physically-possessing part may be Permeability (Flesh).
Rationalization sounds right, but Permeation presents some problems, in that you don't actually meld with the stuff you are permeating. I'd probably go ahead and use whatever form of Possession is more appropriate, maybe Spiritual, and limit it to take away the controlling aspects. It might be possible to just substitute the MC for that.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Rationalization sounds right, but Permeation presents some problems, in that you don't actually meld with the stuff you are permeating. I'd probably go ahead and use whatever form of Possession is more appropriate, maybe Spiritual, and limit it to take away the controlling aspects. It might be possible to just substitute the MC for that.
Permeation has Meld 1 (+150%) as enhancement defined on p. P67.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
You sure do meld with the stuff you're permeating if you take Permeation with Meld. Permeation (Flesh; Meld 1, +150%) only costs 13 points, which is a whole lot less than any limited version of Possession.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
JCurwen3

Quote:
You sure do meld with the stuff you're permeating if you take Permeation with Meld. Permeation (Flesh; Meld 1, +150%) only costs 13 points, which is a whole lot less than any limited version of Possession.
Plus it neatly avoids the headaches inherent in using Possession on a dead body...
Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #17
lexington

Quote:
Because Melding doesn't let you control the body.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #18
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Because Melding doesn't let you control the body.
Right. We were talking about limiting Possession so that it doesn't allow you to control the body, since that was the requirement.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #19
JCurwen3

Quote:
Right. We were talking about limiting Possession so that it doesn't allow you to control the body, since that was the requirement.
Yes. The standard Shedim resonance seems to basically be Permeation (Flesh; Meld 1) with Mind Control (with Rationalization) to drive the host to do things and believe they were his idea. They don't rightfully control the host's body, but they can control it indirectly by controlling his mind.

And the Shedim of Saminga (Demon Prince of Death) special ability is that they can possess the dead. That one is done with Permeation (Flesh; Meld 1) with an appropriate level of TK to actually move the body and operate it like a flesh suit.

And yes, I find it very helpful and elegant that, in the end, both abilities start with that Permeation bit! :-)
Old 04-09-2011, 06:32 PM   #20
JCurwen3

Okay, so I did the Shedim resonance, the way I see it. I added it to the Unofficial GURPS In Nomine for 4ed thread, and also quoted it below. A special thanks to everyone on this thread who helped me with their suggestions!

Questions, comments, anything, ideally please post to that thread; I'm trying to respark interest in it as it's been dormant for a few months.

That is, unless they're not at all specific to In Nomine, and are more generally related to building abilities in GURPS (after all, I may have made some basic GURPS missteps!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Standard Shedim Resonance

Entering Host and Controlling His Mind:
Permeation (Living Flesh; Link, +10%; Meld 1, +150%; Terminal Condition, Host reduced to unconsciousness for 30 minutes, -20%; Terminal Condition, No longer in host, -0%) [12] +
Mind Control (Accessibility, Only on host, -10%; Based on Will, Own Roll, +20%; Independent, +70%; Link, +10%; Puppet, -40; Rationalization, +20%; Terminal Condition, Host reduced to unconsciousness for 30 minutes, -20%; Terminal Condition, No longer in host, -0%) [75] + Special Rapport (Accessibility, Only on host, -10%; Based on Will, Own Roll, +20%; Link, +10%; One Way, +20%; Terminal Condition, Host reduced to unconsciousness for 30 minutes, -20%; Terminal Condition, No longer in host, -0%; Transferable, +150%) [14]. 101 points.

Full Knowledge of Host's Thoughts:
Mind Reading (Accessibility, Only on host, -10%; Based on Will, Own Roll, +20%; Cosmic, No penalties for failure, +50%; Reduced Time 1, +20%; Sensory, +20%; Terminal Condition, No longer in host, -0%; Universal, +50%) [75].

Full Knowledge of Host's Memories:
Mind Probe (Accessibility, Only on host, -10%; Based on Will, Own Roll, +20%; Cosmic, No penalties for failure, +50%; Invasive, +75%; Reduced Time 1, +20%; Sensory, +20%; Terminal Condition, No longer in host, -0%; Universal, +50%) [65] ([13] as an alternative ability).

Notes: This is the standard Shedim resonance. The demon must win a Quick Contest of Wills with its intended host. Success means it enters the host's body and can control its host's mind. During this time, the Shedite will have instant and full knowledge of its host's memories, thoughts, and feelings. If the demon attempts to force the subject to act against his principles (e.g., commit suicide or harm a loved one), there is another Quick Contest. If the victim wins, he breaks free, and the Shedite cannot possess him again for 24 hours. 189 points.
Note that I decided against basing this on Possession. GURPS Possession is complete and total control over the target, with no mechanic to allow for Quick Contests of Wills in the face of forcing the subject to go against his principles (including making him do something that could kill him). It also isn't kind to possessing entities that are inside the body when it dies (a Shedite gets a point of dissonance but more or less can shrug off the host dying). And, finally, Possession leaves the victim with no memory - you may have ruined their lives, but you haven't corrupted them, only deeply confused them. So a build with Mind Control and Permeation (Flesh) seemed best.

Tags
gurps, gurps in nomine, in nomine, kyriotates, resonance, resonances, shedim